Skip to main content
Exterior of Irvington House
Residence Life

Housing FAQs

What’s provided in my room?

All rooms come with extra-long twin beds (single rooms in Fairview come with extra-long full size beds), dressers, desks and desk chairs, wastebasket, drapes or blinds, cable TV outlet, Wi-Fi access, and one campus Ethernet port (two in triples and quads). While the furniture is movable, it must remain in your room. Beds may be bunked in Ross and ResCo; you must have four people and sign a waiver at the residence hall front desk to bunk the beds.

What do I need to know about requesting special accommodations for physical or medical reasons?

Any student who has a request for a housing accommodation based on his/her medical or physical condition is required to submit the necessary supporting documentation as well as all standard housing forms. More information on special accommodations.

What cable channels do I get in my room?

The Information Technology Cable TV Channels page provides a list of channels that are provided via the cable outlet in your room.

Can I live with someone of a different gender?

Yes, all of our on-campus apartments, Fairview House, and ResCo allow gender inclusive housing assignments. This means that full groups of students with any gender identity or expression may live together in the room or suite/apartment. This includes transgender, nonbinary, and gender-fluid individuals. Any student interested in living in a gender-inclusive group must have a full group for the suite/apartment. Students without a full group may mark this as a preference choice for roommate assignment, but without a full group, it is not guaranteed. There are no additional forms or requirements needed in order to create a gender-inclusive group. Continuing students will create their groups during the housing selection process after Spring Break. New students need to list all roommates/suitemates when completing their online housing contract. Incoming students are encouraged to contact Residence Life with any questions about gender inclusive housing arrangements.

Residence Life strongly discourages any students in romantic relationship from living together.

When can I move in?

The Residence Halls typically open the weekend before classes start. The exact date you can move in will be mentioned on your room assignment letter. The apartment contract starts on August 1. Download the Housing Calendar.

How do I connect my computer to the campus network?

Detailed information on how to connect to the network is available at the Information Technology Get Connected web page. The IT Help Desk will be available during Welcome Week to help residents get connected.

What will my mailing address be?

Residence Halls

Below are the standard mailing addresses. Be sure to include the building name below the student's name for proper delivery (it is in bold only for easy reference on this page). Students are given a unique mailbox number with their room assignment information that must be included for mail delivery; it is not their residence hall room number.

Student’s Name
Residential College
630 W. Hampton Dr. Box ___
Indianapolis, IN 46208

Student’s Name
Ross Hall
629 W. Hampton Dr. Box ___
Indianapolis, IN 46208

Student’s Name
Irvington House 
750 W. Hampton Dr. Box ___
Indianapolis, IN 46208

Student’s Name
Fairview House
4550 Sunset Ave. Box ___
Indianapolis, IN 46208


Student’s Name
Apartment Village
5026 Boulevard Place, Apt LETTER and NUMBER (ex. A301)
Indianapolis, IN 46208
(It is important that the apartment letter and number be included for proper delivery.)

Butler Terrace
Each apartment has its own mailbox. However, Butler Terrace has four different street addresses, and unique mailbox numbers that are distinctive for each apartment.
For a specific Butler Terrace address, please contact Residence Life. 

Student's Name
South Campus Apartments
4251 Haughey Ave, Apt LETTER and NUMBER (ex. C1)
Indianapolis, IN 46208
(It is important that the apartment letter and number be included for proper delivery.)

Student’s Name
University Terrace
599 W. Westfield Blvd, Apt ___
Indianapolis, IN 46208

Do I have to live on campus?

It is the policy of Butler University to offer full, equal and nondiscriminatory assistance to all students without regard to their race, color, religion, nationality, gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation in placement in university residential facilities. All full-time undergraduate students are required to live in University housing for 6 academic year semesters except those who are: a) commuting from and residing full-time in the primary residence of their parents or legal guardians which is within 30 miles of campus; or b) married or civilly unified and residing with spouse; or c) are a legal guardian of a child and residing with said child; or e) are a military veteran with 2- years of active service.

All campus housing includes both room and required dining plan with the exception of the Apartment Communities (South Campus Apartments, Butler Terrace, University Terrace and Apartment Village). Apartment Community residents may purchase community-dining plan through the link on the Butler Dining page.

Butler University Greek Chapter houses are considered on campus housing for sophomore and junior students.  Some Chapters may require seniors to live in their chapter houses as well.  If a Greek Chapter house does not have space for all affiliated sophomore and juniors students, they must live in on-campus University housing.  Chapters do not release students to off-campus status. 

The University reserves the right to enforce any restrictions or regulations necessary for the general safety, welfare of residents and/or the maintenance of its property. Under certain conditions, students may apply for a special exemptions to the Residency Policy.  If provided an exception, or living off- campus as a senior student, all are expected to adhere to all federal, state, and local laws as well as the Student Code of Conduct of Butler University.  Students living off- campus or commuting from home are Butler University students and must adhere to the Student Code of Conduct.

What if I have concerns about living with a roommate?

Living with another person takes effort. It is important for roommates to talk to each other early and often. Don't let issues go unaddressed because they will likely just get worse. Talking them through, in person, is the key to a successful roommate relationship. Remember, you do not have to be best friends, just compatible roommates. If you need assistance with roommate problems, feel free to contact yourCommunity Assistant (CA) or Apartment Community Assistant (ACA). They are trained in problem solving and can help define what the issues are and help  residents come to a resolution. The Community Director (CD) is also a resource in times of conflict. We strongly urge roommates to attempt to sort out their difficulties. 

What is the purpose of the $100 Housing Deposit?

During the first semester of residence, students will receive a $100 Housing Deposit Charge which is posted to their student account. The $100 charge will be credited back to the account as a Housing Deposit Chg Credit after the student officially leaves University housing.

What are the room and board charges for this year?

The charges for room and board are set by the Board of Trustees (usually in March or April for the following year). The tuition and fees for the current year are available from the Office of Student Accounts (room and board fees are at the bottom of the page).