Participating as a Non-Major
A non-music major may participate in any of Butler's music ensembles, which are listed below. An audition is required for all ensembles except University Marching Band and University Basketball Band. Upon their acceptance into the ensemble, students register for the 100-level as freshmen and sophomores, the 300-level as juniors and seniors, and the 500-level for graduate students; all ensembles are 1-credit registrations. Interested students should contact the listed faculty member directly for audition information, rehearsal and concert schedules, etc.
- ES 112/312/512 - Spectra (formerly Women's Chorus) (Dr. John Perkins, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-940-9636)
- ES 117/317/517 - University Choir (Dr. John Perkins, email@example.com, 317-940-9636)
- ES 118/318/518 - University Chorale (Dr. Eric Stark, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-940-9981)
- ES 105/305/505 - Chamber Singers (Dr. Eric Stark, email@example.com, 317-940-9981)
- ES 110/310/510 - Opera Theatre (School of Music office, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-940-9246)
- ES 101/301/501 - Chamber Music (Dr. Bill Grubb, email@example.com, 317-940-6418)
- ES 102/302/502 - Guitar Chamber Music (Prof. Brett Terrell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-940-9636)
- ES 103/303/503 - Arthur Jordan Saxophone Quartet (Prof. Heidi Radtke, email@example.com, 317-940-6216)
- ES 106/306/506 - Percussion Ensemble (Prof. Jon Crabiel, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-940-9488)
- ES 108/308/508 - New Music Ensemble (Dr. Frank Felice, email@example.com, 317-940-3236)
- ES 120/320/520 - University Wind Ensemble (Prof. Michael Colburn, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-940-6672)
- ES 122/322/522 - University Symphony (Prof. Richard Clark, email@example.com, 317-940-8031)
- ES 124/324/524 - Jazz Ensemble (Dr. Matt Pivec, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-940-9068)
- ES 127/327/527 - Jazz Combo (Dr. Matt Pivec, email@example.com, 317-940-9068)
- ES 104/304/504 - Jordan Jazz (Prof. Erin Benedict, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ES 119/319/519 - University Marching Band (Dr. Matthew Smith, email@example.com, 317-940-9876) NOTE: Participation in the marching band can count for PWB credit in the university core curriculum. See www.butler.edu/bands for additional details.
- ES 121/321/521 - University Basketball Band (Dr. Matthew Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-940-9876)
Non-music majors wishing to study Applied Music must also be enrolled in a School of Music ensemble. A "Request for Applied Secondary Lessons" form is available online, and should be submitted to the School of Music office, Lilly Hall, room 229. Once approved by the Chair of the School of Music, the student will be notified by Joy Rogers, School of Music secretary (email@example.com, 317-940-9246).
The following courses are designed for non-music majors:
- AM 125: Guitar Class 1 (U)(1)
- This course is designed for beginning guitar students with a passing knowledge of guitar playing, but no formal guitar instruction. This course will stress basic fundamentals such as hand and arm movement, chord playing, melody playing, counting, sight-reading music, and the study of a wide range of music.
- AM 126: Guitar Class 2 (U)(1)
- A continuation of AM 125, with emphasis on more advanced techniques.
- AM 127: Voice Class 1 (U)(1)
- AM 128: Voice Class 2 (U)(1)
- Basic principles of voice development and use. This class is intended for non-majors or those music majors for whom voice is not the primary instrument. Two meetings per week.
- AM 130: World Drumming Class (U)(1)
- This course offers experiences in learning world percussion techniques and its history. Areas of percussion study include: Latin-American Percussion, African Percussion, Brazilian Percussion, Caribbean Percussion, Cultural History and Folklore. No previous percussion experience required; instruments will be provided. Two meetings per week.
Learn More on the Music Majors & Minors page.
A number of scholarships (up to $2000 per year) are available for non-music majors interested in participating in major choral and instrumental ensembles through the School of Music. Eligible ensembles include:
- Butler Symphony Orchestra
- Butler University Wind Ensemble
- Butler University Symphonic Band
- University Chorale
- University Choir
- Jazz Ensemble
Awards are renewable up to seven (7) semesters as long as the student maintains good academic and musical standing at Butler. Awards are based upon musicianship, academic record, and ensemble needs in the School of Music. An audition is required. Continued eligibility for Ensemble Participation Scholarships requires registration in the ensemble and secondary-level applied music lessons (cannot be taken P/F or for non-credit). A "B" or higher is required for both ensemble and lessons to remain in good standing.
To be considered for an Ensemble Participation Scholarship (EPS):
Please complete the Ensemble Participation Scholarship application, including your choice of audition dates. If you have any questions about the scholarship or audition process, please contact the School of Music office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-9065.
EPS Audition Dates for students applying for Fall 2019 entry**:
- Saturday, February 9, 2019
- Saturday, February 23, 2019
**All auditions must be completed NO LATER than Saturday, February 23 in order to be considered for an EPS. If you have significant conflicts with the above dates, or cannot attend an on-campus audition, please contact Courtney Trachsel at email@example.com.
Audition requirements are as follows:
- Vocalists: solo repertoire of your choice OR "America the Beautiful" and sight reading.
- Instrumentalists: solo repertoire of your choice, scales and sight reading.
Questions about a particular ensemble? Contact:
- Butler Symphony Orchestra - Prof. Richard Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-8031
- University Wind Ensemble - Prof. Michael Colburn at email@example.com or 317-940-6672
- Butler University Symphonic Band- Dr. Brian Weidner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-6115
- University Chorale - Dr. Eric Stark at email@example.com or 317-940-9981
- University Choir - Dr. John Perkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-9636