- Prospective Students
- Graduate Studies
- Current Students
- Events & Performances
- Athletic Bands
- Butler University Bassoon Reed Company
Music Specialty Days, Festivals, and Camps
Music Specialty Days
Butler University Music Specialty Days are opportunities for you to meet with Butler faculty, perform on a master class or recital in one of Butler's incredible performance venues, work with special guests, talk with current Butler students, and get a feel for Butler's campus. All Specialty Days are free. Please visit the page for each event to see a schedule and complete the registration form.
|September 30, 2017||Violin Day|
|October 7, 2017||Cello Day|
|October 7, 2017||Voice Day|
|December 2, 2017||Single Reed Day|
|January 15, 2018||Brass Day|
|January 20, 2018||Double Reed Day|
Butler University Choir Festivals are non-competitive festivals which promote singing, vocal health, and choral pedagogy. Designed for high school mixed choirs (SATB) and high school treble choirs (SA), activities include high school performances, clinics with Butler faculty, and performances by Butler choirs and faculty.
Treble Choir Festival: Monday, November 12, 2018
The Butler Treble Choir Festival is open to all interested high school treble ensembles. The festival typically includes 10-15 visiting choirs, of various sizes and skill levels. Butler Choral Festivals will include clinics with Butler faculty, performances by Butler choral ensembles, and the opportunity for participating choirs to rehearse and perform a combined repertoire selection under the direction of Dr. John Perkins. We invite you to bring your students to witness choral music at the collegiate level and allow them to learn skills first-hand in a college setting!
• Monday, November 12, 2018 12:00-5:00 PM, Schrott Center for the Arts
• Combined repertoire piece: Ain’t Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around- Arr. Rollo Dilworth
• Tours of the Butler Campus are available upon request
• $5 participation fee per student
• Sample voice lessons with a member of the voice faculty are available for students interested in pursuing music at a collegiate level
Register your students here: Treble Choir Festival Application
Mixed Choir Invitational 2018-- Details coming soon!
If you have any questions about these or other events at the Butler University School of Music, please contact the School of Music office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-9065.
Butler Jazz Fest
Application for Butler Jazz Fest
ATTENTION: The first annual Butler Jazz Fest is postponed to December 8, 2018. More information coming soon!
Butler Jazz Fest is a non-competitive festival for middle school and high school jazz ensembles and combos. The festival is focused on education and preparation for future performances and competitive festivals. Sessions will take place in the Schrott Center for the Arts and other music facilities on the campus of Butler University.
Program highlights will include:
- Side-by-side experiences with Butler University jazz students
- Longer, individualized time with clinicians than typical festivals (one hour time blocks)-- see our outstanding guest clinicians below!
- Potential for scholarships to Butler Jazz Camp or Youth Jazz Program
- Final concert featuring Butler University Jazz Ensemble and guest clinicians
- Excellent preparation for competitive festivals later in the season
There is a participation fee of $150 per group due by December 1. Directors may register groups online with the Application for Butler Jazz Fest form (application opening soon).
All sessions will take place in the music facilities of Butler University. A full schedule will be communicated to participants as the event gets closer.
|9:00 AM- 12:00 PM||Student group performances/clinics (1-hour each)|
|12:00-1:00 PM||Lunch, Butler Jazz Faculty Combo performance|
|1:00-3:00 PM||Student group performances/clinics, (1-hour each)|
|3:00-4:30 PM||Student performances with guest clinicians|
*Instrumental master classes will be scheduled throughout the day*
Guest Clinicians-- COMING SOON!
Summer Music Camps
Summer music and arts camps are offered through the Butler Community Arts School (BCAS). Camps primarily serve ages 12-18 and are wonderful opportunities for students to experience campus and the music program at Butler University. A tentative list of music camps is shown below.
For specific details and registration, visit the Butler Community Arts School Summer Camps webpage.
Annual BCAS Summer Camp offerings (subject to change):
- Bass Camp (upright bass)
- Brass Camp (trombone, trumpet, tuba, euphonium, French horn)
- Jazz Camp (instrumental and vocal tracks)
- Percussion Camp
- Piano Camp
- Snare and Tenor Camp
- String Scholars Camp (violin, viola, cello, upright bass)
- Woodwind Camp (bassoon, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, flute)
- Voice Camp