Master of Music in Conducting
We offer both a MM in Choral Conducting and a MM in Instrumental Conducting. The MM in Instrumental Conducting program is designed for students interested in expanding their knowledge, skill, and effectiveness in conducting instrumental ensembles. This traditional degree program is designed with the full-time student in mind, and blends the practical experience of coached conducting experiences in front of our instrumental ensembles (Butler University Symphony Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, and/or Symphonic Band) with weekly individual lessons in score study, gesture, rehearsal techniques, and repertoire knowledge. While it is not required, students may choose to focus on either band or orchestral conducting. The program will be tailored to meet the needs and expectations of the individual student, whether their goals are the pursuit of conducting professional or university ensembles, or improving their performance as a band or orchestra director at the secondary level.
How to Apply
Application Deadline for fall entry: January 1
- Complete Application for Graduate Admission, including JCA Music Graduate Supplement and three letters of recommendation by January 1 for fall entry**. NOTE: To submit a graduate application, you need to have previously completed a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college/university and be seeking an advanced degree.
- Submit pre-screening materials (required before invitation to interview/audition)
- CHORAL: Video in front view of applicant conducting a rehearsal or performance. Submit video recording as a link to an online source (i.e. YouTube, DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc.) to email@example.com with subject line "[FULL NAME]-Choral Conducting Pre-Screen".
- INSTRUMENTAL: Video in front view of applicant conducting a recent performance AND a rehearsal including at least two selections of contrasting style and/or period. Ideally, rehearsal and performance will contain the same repertoire. Submit video recording as a link to an online source (i.e. YouTube, DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "[FULL NAME]-Choral Conducting Pre-Screen".
- Interview and audition with appropriate conducting faculty scheduled through School of Music office at email@example.com. Pre-screening required BEFORE interview/audition.The audition will consist of a demonstration of conducting skills, instrumental/vocal performance proficiency, and an aural skills exam. Audition deadline for fall entry: March 1
**International applicants must take the TOEFL as well as submit additional financial documentation. See International Student Application process.
|Total Credit Hours: 30 credit hours
Anticipated Duration: 2 years
Requires a conducting recital and final oral comprehensive exam.
Required courses (# credits):
Total Credit Hours: 30 credit hours
Required courses (# credits)
- Eric Stark- Professor, Director of Choral Activities, Butler Chorale
- John Perkins- Associate Professor, Director of Choral Activities, University Choir
- Michael Colburn- Professor, Director of Bands, Wind Ensemble
- Richard Clark- Professor, Director of Butler Symphony Orchestra
- Matt Smith- Director of Athletic Bands, Symphonic Band
- Brian Weidner- Assistant Professor, Director of Symphonic Band, Instrumental Music Ed
Related Graduate Assistantships/Tuition Waivers
- Choral Conducting GA
- Indianapolis Symphonic Choir Fellowship
- Concert Band GA
- Orchestra GA
- New World Youth Symphony Orchestra Fellowship
- Ensemble Performance tuition waiver
Contact the School of Music office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-9065