IX. Assistantships & Waivers
Butler University's School of Music offers a limited number of tuition waivers and assistantships to graduate students.
A tuition waiver covers the cost of tuition, or a portion of tuition, for one academic year. Any additional fees (such as the Applied Music Fee) are not covered by the waiver. Students who receive a full tuition waiver are required to enroll and fully participate in two approved School of Music ensembles. Half-tuition waivers may be available for students who enroll and fully participate in one approved ensemble.
A graduate assistantship covers the cost of tuition for 15 credit hours in one academic year; in addition, there is a stipend which is paid over nine months. Any additional fees (such as the Applied Music Fee) are not covered by the assistantship. All graduate assistants work with a faculty supervisor and are assigned (a) specific task(s), such as assisting with the band, orchestra or choir, supervising the music technology lab, etc.
All students who wish to be considered for one of these awards must submit an application, including an up-to-date resume, by January 1. In addition, returning students are required to submit two letters of recommendation. New students do not need to submit additional letters of recommendation. Assistantships and waivers are granted for one year but may be renewed for a second year.
2018-2019 Anticipated Graduate Assistantships, Tuition Waivers, and Fellowships**
Application deadline: January 1, 2019
- Butler Symphony Orchestra
- Collaborative Piano
- Computer Lab
- Concert Bands
- Music Theory Tutor
- Piano Pedagogy
- Recruitment and Outreach
- New Music Ensemble
- Ensemble Performance
- Indianapolis Symphonic Choir
- New World Youth Orchestra
**Students may choose to be considered for any position listed on the Graduate Assistantship/Tuition Waiver Application, including the positions that are not anticipated to be open for the upcoming academic year.
- New Students: You may apply for a graduate assistantship on your Graduate Application for Admission; you will be prompted for your positions of interest on the Music Graduate Supplement. If you already submitted your application for admission and did NOT indicate interest in a Graduate Assistantship, please complete the follwoing Graduate Assistantship/Tuition Waiver Application.
- Returning Students: Please complete the Graduate Assistantship/Tuition Waiver Application and return to the address listed on the form. NOTE: You may select any and all positions in which you are interested, including positions not anticipated to be available during the upcoming academic year.