Skip to main content

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
The Wind Ensemble playing music
School of Music

New Student Information

Welcome to the Jordan College of the Arts!

Jordan College Student Basics: This isn't going to cover everything you may have questions about, but it's a start. Feel free to ask your department secretary about anything not covered.

We're glad to have you at Jordan College - Good luck this year!

Building Hours

Lilly Hall is open daily from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. At 11 p.m., the building will switch to keycard access until 7 a.m. You will be able to use your student identification card to enter the building. Please to not block open doors to allow access for other students.  Interior rooms must be reserved by utilizing the campus space request form online. Any student caught accessing rooms they have not scheduled or otherwise defacing the building will have their late night access revoked. Staff office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Faculty office hours are posted outside of their door.

Calendar of Events

The Jordan College Facilities and Events Manager creates a monthly calendar of all Jordan College events and updates the University web calendar; information about performances should be provided as soon as possible. When you schedule an event using the online campus request form, the Facilities and Events Manager will send you an email link requesting more information. Please respond promptly or your event will not be added to the Jordan College/campus calendar.

Dance Studios/Theatre Spaces

Use of dance studios is restricted to dance majors and use of theatre space is restricted to theatre students. Please request these spaces utilizing the online campus request form and after receiving confirmation, check out a key from the proper department secretary.


If you are on campus and need emergency assistance, call the University Police Emergency Number, 911. There are 'blue' emergency phones located outside the west & east sides of Lilly Hall, as well as in the practice room area on the second floor.


In the event of an illness or emergency, call directly to the JCA professor whose class you'll miss or contact the main office at 317-940-9231 ( to leave a message. Contacting the main office does NOT constitute an excused absence.

Instrument Rental

University owned instruments may be rented by contacting and making arrangements with Heidi Radtke at


  • Large instrument lockers may be checked out from the Instrument Room, LH198, during posted hours.
  • Hallway lockers may be checked out from the Lilly Hall receptionist in the Main Office. 
  • Dance dressing room lockers may be checked out from the dance secretary in LH50.
  • Jordan College issued locks MUST be used on the lockers.
  • The University is NOT responsible for personal instruments and/or property stolen from lockers. You are strongly encouraged to privately insure your personal property.

Lost and Found

Items found in Lilly Hall should be turned in to the JCA Main Office. If you're looking for a lost item, check with the Main Office, the department secretaries, and with BUPD.

Practice Room Keys

If you are a piano major or organ student and need keys to the locked piano and organ rooms, see the music secretary in room LH229.

Public Phones

A phone for on-campus only calls is located in the west lobby. 

Rehearsal Space/Recitals

The online campus space request form allows you to see what rooms are available for rehearsals and/or performances. All online requests for Lilly Hall and the Eidson-Duckwall Recital Hall are expedited through the Jordan College Facilities Manager. Music student recitals are presented in the Eidson-Duckwall Recital Hall; it is strongly advised that you schedule recital dates well in advance due to the high use of the space. When you receive confirmation for your rehearsal/event/recital, you will be sent additional instructions. See your Applied Music teacher for additional information. All events for student organizations must go through The Programs for Leadership and Service Education (PuLSE) office. Any student caught utilizing Lilly Hall/Recital Hall space for a student organization without going through the PuLSE office will have their online scheduling privileges revoked.

Concert Attire for Ensembles

View concert attire requirements in the Undergraduate Student Handbook or click to download.

Butler Email

Be sure to check your Butler email daily, since all official notices from the university (including those from your department) will be sent to that address. 

Computer Recommendations

For those of you who have not yet purchased a computer, please see the note below from Dr. Tim Brimmer, who runs our computer lab. 

"Dear Butler Music Student –

The computer you choose to help you advance your academic studies is a tool you’ll rely on throughout your academic studies at Butler and, hopefully, throughout your career. We’re recommending Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro laptops for all JCA students and faculty, as these “all-in-one” operating system, software, and network configurations are ideal for arts-dependent computing (see URL below). With a MacBook or MacBook Pro, you’ll have a substantial advantage, as these computers ship with the iLife Suite of applications. All of Apple’s laptops come with “wireless” networking built-in, which you can use throughout Lilly Hall and elsewhere on Butler’s main campus. For more information, please go to the web page below which our Media Arts faculty have put together for you at Apple’s website. Whether you purchase a computer online or in person at an Apple store, be sure to specify that you’re a student – Apple offers a discount for teachers and students on their computers, 3-year Apple Protection Plan, and other hardware and software. We also recommend students and faculty purchase a 3-year Apple Protection Plan for your computer and the Student/Teacher edition of Microsoft Office or the iWorks’08 suite. The Student/Faculty version of MS Office contains a 3-computer license for the suite (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Entourage) which you may want to share the cost of with two other friends or family members. Congratulations on becoming a Bulldog, and welcome aboard!

Dr. Tim Brimmer"

Gender Pronouns

The School of Music is committed to inclusivity. I would therefore ask you to make us aware of the pronouns you would like for faculty and staff to use to refer to you: Please do this prior to August 15; this information will be shared with the School of Music faculty and staff prior to the start of classes.


If you need to report suspicious activity or need an escort, please contact the Butler University Police Department at 317-940-9396.

Lost Music Fees

Because of the enormous amount of money we spend replacing music, the policy below will be strictly enforced, effective immediately:

"A member of any School of Music ensemble must return all music to the ensemble librarian immediately following the group’s final performance. If the music has not been returned after three (3) days, a fee of $25 will be assessed and a hold placed on the student’s account. The fee will increase accordingly for a rental part, music book, or other expensive scores, or if numerous parts are missing. If the music is returned within ten (10) days, the fee will be cancelled and the hold removed. Otherwise the music is assumed to be lost, and the hold can only be removed after payment has been received. Be reminded that this kind of hold will prohibit graduation, class registration, etc. If the missing piece is a rental piece that causes a late fee or some other penalty fee to be assessed, that fee is also the responsibility of the student."

Sign Posting

As we start a new year with many student organizations and departments providing opportunities for involvement, The Programs for Leadership and Service Education (PuLSE) office would like to remind everyone of the posting policies. All signs, flyers and other postings, with the exception of departmental notices, must be approved and stamped by the PuLSE office, located in Atherton Union, room 101. Flyers with job opportunities must be approved by Internship and Career Service located in Atherton Union, room 315. Notices and signs must clearly state the official name of the sponsoring organization or individual, and may be posted on bulletin boards ONLY. Signs posted on departmental bulletin boards should be approved by the appropriate academic department. Signs may not be posted on interior and exterior walls, windows, doors, elevators, floors, sidewalks, and on any wood or painted surfaces. Any signs posted on these surfaces will be removed and organizations will be charged a thirty-five dollar ($35) fine. Organizations or individuals posting signs that cause damage will be assessed accordingly. Posting in Residence Halls must be approved at the front desk of each hall. Signs and posters not in accordance with the above guidelines will be removed. For more information on the posting policy, please see the Student Handbook, pages 69-70. Contact the PuLSE office at 317-940-9262 with any questions.


Smoking is not allowed in or around buildings occupied by University faculty, staff, and students including classrooms, laboratories, private offices, residence halls, University apartments, and common areas except in those locations designated as smoking areas. The closest designated smoking area is at the east side of Lilly Hall, on the patio between Clowes and Lilly.


The University is not responsible for the theft of personal items. If you note that university property is unsecured, report it to the nearest secretary. If personal or university property is stolen, please tell the nearest secretary, AND make an official report to the University Police 317-940-9396. You are strongly encouraged to privately insure your personal property. Be advised that homeowners insurance does not always cover musical instruments; a separate policy may be required.

Ticket Policy for JCA Events

Check with the departmental secretary for the area the performance is in for current student rates and discounts.

Vending Machines

Vending machines are located in the Lower Level landing of the Clowes Pavilion (outside the Indianapolis Children's Choir offices). If a vending machine eats your money, contact Butler's purchasing department at 317-940-9000.