Skip to main content

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
The Wind Ensemble playing music
School of Music

XII. Miscellaneous Policies and Information

A. Student ID and Parking Permits

You may obtain your student identification card and parking sticker from the Butler University Police Department.

B. Library Policies

All graduate students currently enrolled at Butler University are eligible to check out materials from the Butler University Libraries. Borrowers must present a valid ID card at the Circulation Desk when checking out materials. 

C. Computer Account

After receiving your letter of acceptance from the Butler University Admissions Office, you will be sent an e-mail or letter with your Butler computer log-in name and temporary password. You will need to have an active Butler e-mail account in order to register for classes.  If you need assistance, contact Butler IT.

D. Health and Counseling Services

Butler University Health Services provides health care to students currently enrolled in the University. We place an emphasis on treating the medical, emotional, and educational needs of our students. Our primary goal is to have students leave the clinic not only feeling better but also being better informed about their condition and how to provide self-care. Our focus is to keep Butler students healthy and consequently better able to enjoy the Butler University experience.

If you have special medical care needs, do not hesitate to contact us or schedule an appointment with one of our providers to discuss your care.

Walk in appointments are acceptable, but to make the best use of everyone's time we prefer appointments to be scheduled online or call ahead (317-940-9385) before coming to the clinic.

The University Counseling Center offers individual and group counseling for issues and problems related to academic, career and personal-social areas of life. Appointments to see a counselor may be made in person or by telephone. All counseling services, whether individual or group, are free of cost, confidential and strictly voluntary. Hours are 8:30 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday.

E. Housing Options

For assistance in finding housing, either on-campus or off-campus, you may call the Office of Student Affairs at 317-940-9381 or 1-800-368-6852, ext. 9381. You might also log on to to check the classified ads in The Indianapolis Star if you are looking for an apartment.

F. Private Teaching by School of Music Students

All students, both undergraduate and graduate, who teach privately (except as required for a class such as Vocal Pedagogy) must do so through the Butler Community Arts School, for liability reasons.

All School of Music students are eligible to apply for "Teaching Fellow" positions with the Butler Community Arts School (BCAS). BCAS is an arts education and outreach program that provides instruction in the performing arts to young people in the greater Indianapolis community. Instruction is provided by carefully selected JCA students; faculty offer mentoring, guidance, and administrative support. BCAS has the dual mission of providing quality arts instruction at an affordable price while also providing community involvement and diverse teaching experiences for JCA students.

BCAS works with fifteen community partners to offer private lessons and group classes at various community sites, as well as on campus in Lilly Hall. During the summer, BCAS offers thirteen camps as well as summer lessons. BCAS teaching positions are available to undergraduate and graduate students, and are paid positions.

If interested, an interview is the first step. Please contact the BCAS director, Karen Thickstun, to set up an interview. Stop by Lilly Hall 267 or email

G. Lost Music Policy

Because of the enormous amount of money we spend replacing music, we will begin strictly enforcing the following policy:

A member of any School of Music ensemble must return all music to the ensemble librarian immediately following the group’s final performance. If the music has not been returned after three (3) days, a fee of $25 will be assessed and a hold placed on the student’s account. The fee will increase accordingly for a rental part, music book, or other expensive scores, or if numerous parts are missing. If the music is returned within ten (10) days, the fee will be cancelled and the hold removed. Otherwise the music is assumed to be lost, and the hold can only be removed after payment has been received. Be reminded that this kind of hold will prohibit graduation, class registration, etc. If the missing piece is a rental piece that causes a late fee or some other penalty fee to be assessed, that fee is also the responsibility of the student.