Skip to main content
School of Music

IV. Academic Advising and Course Registration

A. Graduate Music Advisors

Dr. Michael Schelle
Office: Lilly Hall, room 219
Phone: (317) 940-9642 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 9642

Conducting - Choral
Dr. Eric Stark
Office: Lilly Hall, room 238
Phone: (317) 940-9981 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 9981

Conducting - Instrumenta
Dr. John Perkins
Office: Lilly Hall, room 244
Phone: (317) 940-9636 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 9636

Music Education (thesis and non-thesis options)
Dr. Dan Bolin
Office: Lilly Hall, room 225
Phone: (317) 940-9988 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 9988

Dr. Nicholas Johnson
Office: Lilly Hall, room 2214
Phone: (317) 940-9256 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 9256

Performance (all instrumental except piano)
Prof. Richard Clark
Office: Lilly Hall, room 157
Phone: (317) 940-8031 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 8031

Performance (voice)
Prof. David Murray
Office: Lilly Hall, room 221
Phone: (317) 940-9064 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 9064

Piano Pedagogy and Piano Performance
Dr. Kate Boyd
Office: Lilly Hall, room 207
Phone: (317) 940-9709 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 9709

Non-degree-seeking graduate students
Prof. David Murray
Office: Lilly Hall, room 221
Phone: (317) 940-9064 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 9064

COE seeking certification or re-certification
Dr. Penny Dimmick
Office: Lilly Hall, room 242
Phone: (317) 940-6422 or 1 (800) 368-6852, ext. 6422

B. Online Registration

Each graduate student will be assigned to an academic advisor (see above).

Graduate students register for classes online. It is essential to meet with your advisor at the start of each registration period to discuss course selection and progress towards completion of the degree. Once a schedule has been determined, the advisor will remove the advising "service indicator" on the student's web account, and the student can register at his/her convenience.

Registration dates and times are published in the schedule of classes. For short-term classes and workshops, a student may register on or before the first day of classes.

Undergraduate prerequisite courses can be taken only for Z credit; this means that the grade and hours will be indicated on the grade report and transcript but not counted towards the GPA or towards the total graduate hours required.

Courses taken by a graduate student cannot be taken pass/fail, but some may be taken for non-credit. A student pays the full cost of tuition for any non-credit coursework taken.

C. Butler Course Search

D. Butler University Bulletin