Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
- Modern Language Center
- Chinese Major and Minor
- French Major and Minor
- German Major and Minor
- Spanish Major and Minor
- Multilingual Major
- Language Internships
- Independent Study in Language
- Phi Sigma Iota
- Transferring Language Credits
- Study Abroad
- Language Req (CCOM, Int’l Bus, LAS)
- Placement Exam Request Form
- Placement Credits
- Placement Credits Request Form
- Departmental Honors
- Senior Keystone
- Faculty and Staff
Transferring Language Credits from Another University
For outside credits to transfer into Butler, you must see the appropriate faculty member to obtain Butler course equivalencies (if any).
- American Sign Language (ASL): see Mary Gospel in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Greek and Latin: see the Department Chair of Philosophy, Religion, and Classics
- All other languages (including those not offered at Butler): see the Department Chair of Modern Languages
As soon as possible, please bring this faculty member a syllabus and/or description for each course you have/will have completed, along with the appropriate transfer credit request form (if the institution is within the U.S.; the form is located at that link under the first "Are you a Butler student interested in taking a course somewhere else over the summer?" dropdown menu) or study abroad approval form (if the institution is outside the U.S.; the form is available in the study abroad office, JH 133). If you're not certain how to enroll at the other institution, the registrar's office can help you.
All courses must be completed with a "C-" or better.
- Please leave the transfer form's Butler equivalency spaces blank.
- If the syllabus is written in a language that we do not offer at Butler, please obtain a translation of as much of it as possible.
- If you have not already completed a Butler course in the language, you may need to establish your placement level at the other institution. Please contact their appropriate language department about this process.
- If the course(s) will be completed during your final 30 hours at Butler, you'll need to also obtain the "permission to intrude" form from the registrar's office.
Only Butler faculty can teach 400-level language courses.