Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
It's vital that you continue improving your language proficiencies after graduation and know how to market your abilities in pursuit of scholarships, post-graduate apprenticeships, teaching positions, for-profit/non-profit/government careers, success with graduate school applications, and more.
In the Senior Keystone course, you'll:
- Complete the internationally-recognized STAMP Proficiency Assessment
- Earn the Global Seal of Biliteracy (if eligible)
- Work with ICS, CHASE, and outside employment and marketing experts
- Polish your online presence
- Search for Internships and job openings through Butler's online employment portal Handshake
- Apply for post-graduation opportunities
- Engage with Butler's Career Communities
- Practice your interview skills with InterviewStream
- Organize your Departmental High/Highest Honors materials (if eligible)
- Create a plan for continued proficiency after Butler
FL 499 is for all senior language majors and minors. The course is one credit, pass/fail, and taught in English.
(It does not count toward your major/minor.)
Please check out Internship and Career Services' Guide to Professional Success.
Contact our MLLC faculty members anytime.
Learn a Language With Us. Take On the World.
Study at Butler and you'll broaden your global perspectives, traveling abroad for immersive language and cultural studies, and engaging with active polylingual and multicultural communities here in Indianapolis.
Check out pictures documenting students' adventures in our department’s Flickr account.
Have pictures of your own?
Each year our student Modern Language Center (MLC) collects submissions for a photo contest, for which winning entries get framed and displayed in the MLC, and small gifts are awarded to the photos’ owners.
Each year’s entries are typically due by April. More information can be found on the MLC's webpage.
Liberal Arts Core Values
We are proud to be part of Butler's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS), working every day to infuse your education with the best the Humanities have to offer.
The College's faculty have put into writing how we intend to do so.
Read our LAS Core Values in English.