The statistics major is designed for students interested in the mathematical study of data and data analysis. It gives students a powerful understanding of how and why statistical investigations and inference work. It provides exposure to real-life questions that involve both the gentle handling of small amounts of data and the computer software crunching power needed for large data sets.
To search for stastics courses, please visit the Course Catalog.
Requirements for the Major
- MA106, 107, Calculus and Analytic Geometry I, II
- MA162 Elementary Statistics
- MA215 Linear Algebra
- MA360 Probability Theory I
- MA361 Statistical Theory
- MA362 Linear Regression and Time Series
- MA364 Design of Experiments
- MA369 Multivariate Statistical Methods
- MA467 Nonparametric Statistical Methods
- MA468 Predictive Analytics
- MA469 Advanced Statistical Computing
- CS142Introduction to Computer Science and Programming
One of the following:
- MA411, 412, or 413 (1, 2, or 3 credits) Internship
- MA490 Senior Seminar in Mathematics or Statistics
- MA491 Senior Statistics Internship in Sports
- MA492 Senior Statistics Internship in Research and Development
NOTE: The information found on this website with respect to major/minor/program requirements is primarily directed at providing prospective students a general roadmap of the curriculum. Current Butler students are expected to review their degree audit report at my.butler.edu and speak with their advisor regularly for detailed information regarding their specific degree requirements and their progress toward degree completion.