Mathematics, Statistics, and Actuarial Science Internships
Please read the LAS Internship Curriculum Guidelines (Form 1 below) to ensure you understand the program. The document provides information on receiving academic credit and requirements for completing the project.
The LAS Academic Internship Contract (Form 2 below) is to be completed by the faculty supervisor and signed by both the supervisor and the student. Form 2 should be completed prior to the start of the internship.
Students must sumit the completed Student Internship Agreement (Form 3 below) to the internship coordinator when registering for credit. It must be submitted prior to beginning the internship. Entering into this Agreement is in consideration of Butler University ("University") considering the internship requested by the student and as a condition to the student's participation in same.
All links are provided below.
The LAS Academic Internship Contract and the University Student Internship Agreement should both be completed by each student's academic advisor. There is no need to print these forms; just know they are required.
The internship program is an important part of our curriculum. It has proven to be exciting for our students and it can be valuable for the sponsor as well.
If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact:
Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Actuarial Science
Jordan Hall 270
4600 Sunset Avenue
Indianapolis IN 46208
The purpose of the internship program is to provide mathematics, statistics, and actuarial science majors with realistic work experience during their junior and/or senior years. In order to obtain a better understanding of the professional environment, students will apply classroom training and theory to work situations.
- An internship must be arranged and approved in advance of the actual work experience.
- A student intern will register for MA413. Up to three hours of credit may be earned for an internship.
- A formalized schedule of work-related activities should be developed by the student intern in consultation with the faculty adviser and the participating sponsor. It is the student's responsibility to develop this schedule in order to insure an orderly procedure for participation in the program.
- The student intern will be reviewed twice during the semester and should maintain weekly contact with the faculty adviser. The final review and summation will be performed in cooperation with the participating sponsor.
- The student intern will prepare a final written report describing in detail the total work experience. This report should be given to the Head of the Department.
- A final grade will be determined from reviews by the faculty adviser and the participating sponsor and from the quality of the final reports.
There are 3 forms which need to be completed by the student applying for an internship.
The forms may be accessed by a faculty advisor/supervisor when requested by a student.
For faculty: The forms may be found in moodle under the LAS tab, at https://moodle.butler.edu/course/view.php?id=3927§ion=7 or you may be able to link directly to each form as noted below: