How to Prepare for Advising Appointments
The following recommendations will help you make the most of the time you have with your academic advisor:
- About four weeks before registration begins for a new semester, continuing students should check their registration appointment time posted on My.Butler.edu. For help getting started, please visit My.Butler Student Help.
- Next use the Registration Steps created by Registration and Records to begin the process of preparing for you academic advising appointment.
- Plan in advance and schedule an advising appointment - the best advising takes place when you and your advisor can have dedicated time to discuss your concerns and plans.
- Consider the issues and questions you want to address with your advisor in advance and bring a list to your appointment.
- Use some of your time during your advising appointment getting to know one another. This will help clarify your interests, passions, and goals, as well as enable you to understand how best your advisor can assist you in identifying appropriate resources and complementary activities (e.g., internships).
- Accept responsibility: though your advisor will offer suggestions and guidance, you are the one who is ultimately responsible for your academic career.
Tools to Help You Prepare
Here are some tools that may be helpful to you as you learn how to navigate the advising and registration process at Butler and prepare for your advising appointments: