LAS Board of Visitors By-Laws
Name and Purpose
The name of this group shall be "The Board of Visitors of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences."
The purpose of the Board of Visitors is to advise and support the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in fulfilling its mission: the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences seeks to extend knowledge and understanding and to convey the excitement of lifelong learning. The College offers students ways to lead creative and thoughtful lives and to be useful and sensitive citizens of the community, the country and the rapidly changing world. The College affirms the essential role of liberal education and also provides students a variety of opportunities for specialization in a major field, preparing them for graduate or professional schools or for more immediate career goals.
The principal officers of the Board of Visitors will be the Chair of the Board of Visitors and the Vice Chair of the Board of Visitors appointed from the existing membership of the Board of Visitors by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. In the event of any vacancy in the Office of Chair of the Board, the Vice Chair will immediately assume the office of Chair of the Board during the remaining term of the current Chair. The Dean of the College of LAS will then select a Vice Chair from among the current members to complete the remaining term of the Vice Chair of the BOV. The term of office is two years, with reappointment at the discretion of the Dean.
Relation to the Butler University Board of Trustees
The Board of Visitors is not a legal entity. Its members have no legal responsibility for the policies and operations of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and no legal liability for any activity of the College. The Board of Visitors has no authority to make commitments on behalf of the college or university. The board's role is to assist the College and to communicate its progress to the administration and the Board of Trustees.
Appointment, Term of Office and Meetings
- Appointment and Term. Each Board of Visitors member is appointed for an initial three-year term, with renewal at the discretion of the Dean. Generally, appointments are limited to two consecutive terms. Initially the board consisted of 14 members, with the plan to appoint 14 more members in the second year. Additional appointments will be made as appropriate. Appointments are made by the president upon the recommendation of the Dean and Vice President of Advancement. Nominations will be solicited from the faculty, staff, friends, trustees and the Butler University Alumni Association, and present and past members of the Board of Visitors as appropriate.
- Meetings. Two full board meetings are held each year. Board Committees meet more frequently via in-person or virtual (email, conference call, etc.) means, pursuant to their assignments. Background materials and agenda are provided by the Dean to each Board member before the meeting. Formal reports from each committee are presented at each meeting at the discretion of the committee chair. Any special meetings may be convened by conference call or any other electronic technology acceptable to the members of the Board or committee members participating in the meeting.
- Removal. Any visitor may be removed, with or without cause by a vote of the majority of the Board of Visitors or at the discretion of the Dean. The failure to attend at least one meeting in any academic year shall be deemed cause for removal.
- Vacancies. Any vacancy in the Board of Visitors occurring during the year may be filled with a new three-year appointment.
- Regular Meeting; Notice. Regular meetings of the Board of Visitors shall be held at such time and place as the Dean shall designate at least forty-five (45) days before the scheduled date of said meeting.
- Special Meetings Notice. Special meetings of the Board of Visitors (in-person or virtual) may be held upon the call of the Chair of the board, the Vice Chair of the Board or the Dean at such time as may be designated in the notice of such meeting. Notice of time, place and purpose of any special meeting of the Board of Visitors shall be given by the office of the Dean by mailing or emailing a copy thereof or delivering same to each Board of Visitor member at least two days before such meeting.
- Quorum; Adjournments of Meetings. At all meetings of the Board of Visitors the majority of the visitors then appointed shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. In the absence of a quorum, the majority of the Visitors present may without giving notice other than by announcement at the meeting adjourn the meeting from time to time until quorum is obtained. At such adjourned meetings at which a quorum is present, any business may be transacted which might have been transacted at the meeting as originally scheduled.
- Organization. The Chair of the Board of Visitors shall preside at all meetings of the Board of Visitors; in the absence of the Chair, the Vice Chair of the Board of Visitors shall preside or in the absence of both, the Board of Visitors may select a person to preside at the meeting from among its members present at such meeting.
- Committees. The Board shall establish and maintain an executive committee consisting of the Chair and Vice Chair, together with additional members in consultation with the Dean. The Board may also designate two (2) or more of its number to constitute a development or other committee. The Board shall have the power, at any time and in consultation with the Dean, to increase or decrease the number of members of the executive, development or other committee, to fill vacancies thereon, to change any member thereof, and to change the functions or terminate the existence thereof. The purpose and responsibilities of a committee (other than the executive committee) will be set forth in a committee charter approved by the Board. Committees will hold additional in-person or virtual meetings as required.
- Resignation. Any member may resign at any time by giving notice to the Dean and Chair of the Board of Visitors. Such resignation shall take effect any time specified therein and unless otherwise specified therein the acceptance of such resignation shall not be necessary to make it effective.
- Procedure. All meetings shall be governed by the most recent revision in existence of Robert's Rules of Order or in the alternative the procedure followed by the Board of Trustees of Butler University.
Each member of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Board of Visitors will be expected to:
- attend two Board meetings each year-one in the fall and one in the spring,
- participate in University and College events, and
- be an annual contributor to the College,
in each case in a manner consistent with a Member Expectations document approved by the Board from time to time and with the Responsibilities outlined in Article V below.
- Advocate the mission, goals, and objectives of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to external constituencies
- Create mutually supportive linkages between the college and persons and organizations in the Indianapolis community and beyond.
- Assist in identifying and acquiring resources to support the work of the College.
- Advise the Dean on areas of opportunity and innovation.
- Contribute expertise by collaborating with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as consultants, speakers or mentors.
- Report on the progress of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to the Butler University Board of Trustees.
- Support students in their request for internship and career advice.
- Convey to the community the central importance of the liberal arts and sciences to the cultivation of successful citizens.
Books and Records
There shall be kept at the office of the Dean correct minutes and records of the activities and transactions of the Board of Visitors including a minutes book which shall contain copies of these By-Laws, a copy of the Resolution of the Board of Trustees creating the Board of Visitors of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and all minutes of previous meetings of the Board of Visitors.
Amendments and Consideration
The Board of Visitors shall have power to make, alter, amend, and repeal the Bylaws of the Board of Visitors by affirmative vote of a majority of the Board of Visitors then serving provided that the action is proposed at a regular or special meeting of the board, except as otherwise provided by the Bylaws. Any questions involving the interpretation of these Bylaws shall be determined by the Board of Visitors after, as the Board deems appropriate, consultation with the Dean and the administration of the University, and if such question arises in the course of any meeting, by the Chair of the Board of Visitors. Determinations by the Chair of the Board shall be effective only for the purposes of the meeting.