For Current JCA Students
This page is designed to be a location for forms and information necessary for Jordan College of the Arts Students. If you do not find the information that you are looking for here, please contact your departmental administrator or Janice Thornburgh in the main Jordan College of the Arts office.
As an essential component of arts education, all undergraduate JCA majors (including primary, secondary and double majors and music minors) are required to attend events in their discipline and related areas. Double majors within JCA are required to complete their total amount of arts attendance requirements for their primary major and one half the amount of arts requirements for their secondary major. Each department or program establishes minimum attendance expectations for its students. Attendance records will be maintained in the JCA office, see Janice Thornburgh if you have any questions.
- All JCA student, faculty, and guest recitals/productions/exhibitions/lectures, along with all Clowes Hall arts events, will satisfy attendance requirements, to receive credit for on-campus events at Clowes Hall, obtain an Event Attendance Card from a Clowes Hall staff prior to the start of the performance. Complete the card and return it to the person in charge at the conclusion of the performance.
- Outside events are limited to those that are closely related in nature to on-campus productions.
- Students will not receive credit for performances or exhibitions in which they participate
- Attendance at repeat performances of the same program will not count.
Art + Design Majors
Art + Design students must register for the appropriate section of JC 100/200/300/400 each spring term of full-time enrollment. This course is exempt from the 4-course Pass/Fail limit. There are no event attendance requirements for Art +Design minors.
- Art + Design majors are required to attend 2 on campus performance/exhibitions/lectures per year. Over the course of 4 years, two arts credits each year in one of the following disciplines: Art, Dance, Music and Theatre are required.
Arts Administration - General; Arts Admin/Music and Arts Admin/Theatre
Arts Administration students must register for the appropriate section of JC 100/200/300/400 each spring term of full-time enrollment. This course is exempt from the 4-course Pass/Fail limit. There are no event attendance requirements for Arts Administration minors.
- Arts Administration Generalist majors and Arts Administration Music majors are required to attend 12 performances/events each year. Arts credits should include all JCA disciplines each year. Students participating in a full-time internship or study abroad program during the academic year, are required to attend 6 performances.
- Arts Administration Theatre majors are required to follow the department of theatre requirements.
Theatre majors must register for the appropriate section of JC100/200/300/400 each spring semester of full-time enrollment. This course is exempt from the 4-course Pass/Fail limit. There are no event attendance requirements for Theatre minors.
- Butler Theatre and professional Theatre attendance requirements are part of TH 100-400 and are tracked within the department. For the JCA 100-400 courses, Theatre majors are required to attend 2 performance/exhibitions/lectures either on campus or at professional venues in Indianapolis in each of the following disciplines: Art, Dance, and Music. Students must accomplish 1-2 of these performance attendance credits each year until the 6 performances are completed.
Dance students must register for the appropriate sections of DA190/290/390/490 each spring term of full-time enrollment. This course is exempt from the 4-course Pass/Fail limit. There are no event attendance requirements for minors.
- Dance majors are required to complete 10 arts credits annually for DA 190, 8 arts credits annually for DA 290, 6 arts credits annually for DA 390, and 6 arts credits annually for DA 490.
- These Pass/Fail, non-credit courses require attendance at dance, music, theatre, art, and arts-related lecture events as prescribed by each course.
Music students are not required to register for JC 100/200/300/400 each spring term of full-time enrollment. Music majors are required to attend 16 performances/events per year; for students who are student teaching or in full-time internships during the academic year, only 8 performances per year will be required. Arts related lecture events will also count. This course is exempt from the 4-course Pass/Fail limit.
- Annual distribution will be 2-4 in theatre, 2-4 in dance, and at least 8 in music. (4 in music, 1-2 in theatre, 1-2 in dance, if student teaching or participating in a full-time internship)
Music and Jazz Studies minors must attend a minimum of 16 events during their matriculation at Butler, regardless of the number of semesters of enrollment as an official Music or Jazz Studies minor. Of these events, 8 must be in music, 2 in art, 2 in dance, 2 in theatre, and 2 of your choice (including arts-related lectures). Records are maintained in the JCA office.
Adopted Feb. 2000; Revised Aug. 2003; Revised Aug. 2010; Revised Spring 2013; Revised Fall 2016
Jordan College Student Basics: This isn't going to cover everything you may have questions about, but it's a start. Feel free to ask your department secretary about anything not covered.
We're glad to have you at Jordan College—Good luck this year!
Lilly Hall is open daily from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. At 11 p.m., the building will switch to keycard access until 7 a.m.. You will be able to use your student identification card to enter the building. Please to not block open doors to allow access for other students. Interior rooms must be reserved by utilizing the campus space request form online. Any student caught accessing rooms they have not scheduled or otherwise defacing the building will have their late night access revoked. Staff office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Faculty office hours are posted outside of their door.
Calendar of Events
The Jordan College Facilities and Events Manager creates a monthly calendar of all Jordan College events and updates the University web calendar; information about performances should be provided as soon as possible. When you schedule an event using the online campus request form, the Facilities and Events Manager will send you an email link requesting more information. Please respond promptly or your event will not be added to the Jordan College/campus calendar.
Dance Studios/Theatre Spaces
Use of dance studios is restricted to dance majors and use of theatre space is restricted to theatre students. Please request these spaces utilizing the online campus request form and after receiving confirmation, check out a key from the proper department secretary.
If you are on campus and need emergency assistance, call the University Police Emergency Number, 911. There are 'blue' emergency phones located outside the west & east sides of Lilly Hall, as well as in the practice room area on the second floor.
In the event of an illness or emergency, call directly to the JCA professor whose class you'll miss or contact the main office at 940-9231 (firstname.lastname@example.org) to leave a message. Contacting the main office does NOT constitute an excused absence.
University owned instruments may be rented by contacting and making arrangements with Heidi Radtke at 317-940-6216.
- Large instrument lockers may be checked out from the Instrument Room, LH198, during posted hours.
- Hallway lockers may be checked out from the Lilly Hall receptionist in the Main Office.
- Dance dressing room lockers may be checked out from the dance secretary in LH50.
- Jordan College issued locks MUST be used on the lockers.
- The University is NOT responsible for personal instruments and/or property stolen from lockers. You are strongly encouraged to privately insure your personal property.
Lost and Found
Items found in Lilly Hall should be turned in to the JCA Main Office. If you're looking for a lost item, check with the Main Office, the department secretaries and with BUPD.
Practice Room Keys
If you are a piano major or organ student and need keys to the locked piano and organ rooms, see the music secretary in room LH229.
The online campus space request form allows you to see what rooms are available for rehearsals and/or performances. All online requests for Lilly Hall and the Eidson-Duckwall Recital Hall are expedited through the Jordan College Facilities Manager. Music student recitals are presented in the Eidson-Duckwall Recital Hall; it is strongly advised that you schedule recital dates well in advance due to the high use of the space. When you receive confirmation for your rehearsal/event/recital, you will be sent additional instructions. See your Applied Music teacher for additional information. All events for student organizations must go through The Programs for Leadership and Service Education (PuLSE) office. Any student caught utilizing Lilly Hall/Recital Hall space for a student organization without going through the PuLSE office will have their online scheduling privileges revoked.
If you need to report suspicious activity or need an escort, please contact the Butler University Police Department at 940-9396.
As we start a new year with many student organizations and departments providing opportunities for involvement, The Programs for Leadership and Service Education (PuLSE) office would like to remind everyone of the posting policies. All signs, flyers and other postings, with the exception of departmental notices, must be approved and stamped by the PuLSE office, located in Atherton Union, room 101. Flyers with job opportunities must be approved by Internship and Career Service located in Atherton Union, room 315. Notices and signs must clearly state the official name of the sponsoring organization or individual, and may be posted on bulletin boards ONLY. Signs posted on departmental bulletin boards should be approved by the appropriate academic department. Signs may not be posted on interior and exterior walls, windows, doors, elevators, floors, sidewalks, and on any wood or painted surfaces. Any signs posted on these surfaces will be removed and organizations will be charged a thirty-five dollar ($35) fine. Organizations or individuals posting signs that cause damage will be assessed accordingly. Posting in Residence Halls must be approved at the front desk of each hall. Signs and posters not in accordance with the above guidelines will be removed. For more information on the posting policy, please see the Student Handbook, pages 69-70. Contact the PuLSE office at 940-9262 with any questions.
Smoking is not allowed in or around buildings occupied by University faculty, staff and students including classrooms, laboratories, private offices, residence halls, University apartments and common areas except in those locations designated as smoking areas. The closest designated smoking areas is at the east side of Lilly Hall, on the patio between Clowes and Lilly.
The University is not responsible for the theft of personal items. If you note that university property is unsecured, report it to the nearest secretary. If personal or university property is stolen, please tell the nearest secretary, AND make an official report to the University Police (ext. 9396). You are strongly encouraged to privately insure your personal property. Be advised that home-owners insurance does not always cover musical instruments; a separate policy may be required.
Ticket Policy for JCA Events
Check with the departmental secretary for the area the performance is in for current student rates and discounts.
Vending machines are located in the Lower Level landing of the Clowes Pavilion (outside the Indianapolis Children's Choir offices). If a vending machine eats your money, contact Butler's purchasing department at x9000.
- Petition for Independent Study
- Petition to the Executive Committee
- Request for Approval of Transfer Credit
- Request of Approval of Transfer Credit for Core Curriculum
- Instructions for Enrollment at Another College or University
- Instructions for Enrollment at Another College or University for Core Curriculum Requirements
- Permission to Intrude
- Request for Permission to Walk at Commencement
For planning purposes, click here to visit the Performing and Visual Arts Calendar. Events are constantly changing and events/dates/times/locations/ticket prices are in no way binding. Please check with Rissa Guffey in LH138C and/or the Jordan College Facebook page at www.facebook.com/butlerjca for the most current information.