- Alerts and Maintenance
- New to Technology at Butler
- Knowledge Base
- IT Service Catalog
- Policies & Security
- About IT
- Help Desk
Securing Mobile Devices
Securing Your Mobile Device
IT recommends following the best practices below to ensure the security of your mobile device.
- Do not leave mobile devices unattended when not in use (e.g. in your car, lounge, or study area). When not in use, store them in a secure location.
- Password protect your mobile devices and enable the auto-lockout feature. The password protect feature blocks access to your device until your password is entered. Use the strongest password your device supports.
- Enable remote tracking features for your mobile device. Your remote tracking software should support advanced features like remote wipe and remote lockout.
- Apple remote tracking is done through iCloud.
- Windows Phone tracking is done through Find My Phone.
- Android remote tracking is done through 3rd party applications. We do not officially recommend a tracking product for the Android platform, but the following should work for your mobile device.
- Do not circumvent security features or jailbreak your mobile device.
- Wipe or securely delete data before you dispose of or recycle your mobile device.
- Lost, stolen, or misplaced mobile devices should be immediately reported to BUPD. If you have enabled remote tracking, there is a better chance that your mobile device can be returned to you.