- Alerts and Maintenance
- New to Technology at Butler
- IT Service Catalog
- Policies & Security
- Accounts & Eligibility Requirements
- University Computing Policies
- Related Usage Standards and Resources
- Information Security
- About IT
- Help Desk
Name: Blogging Standards
Scope: Faculty & Staff Members
Department Responsible: Information Technology
Effective Date: May 14, 2012
All members of the Butler University community who maintain content within Blogs @ Butler are expected to adhere to the following standards:
- Butler University encourages and promotes the free expression and exchange of ideas through department, personal, group, or club blogs.
- The content of all blogs operated through Butler University are open to public comment at the administrator's choice. The comments are the responsibility of individual users and members, including Butler students, faculty, and staff, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of Butler University.
- The Butler University website will not link to or promote any blog that does not adhere to published policies and guidelines for blogging and computer usage.
- Think prior to posting. Even with strict privacy settings, information posted to blogs should not be considered private. If you would not say something in public, do not say it online.
- Be civil and respectful, and never post vulgar, obscene, defamatory or libelous remarks. You can be held legally liable for comments you make online.
- Do not post confidential or proprietary information. Faculty and staff must adhere to all Butler University policies and procedures, as well as Federal standards, such as FERPA and HIPAA.
- Be respectful of copyrighted and trademark information, including Butler University logos and marks. This extends to the intellectual property of the University and that of the faculty, staff and administration who work for it. Please refer to the Marketing & Communications website for more information regarding logo usage and editorial standards.
- Butler University reserves the right to remove any content or ban any user that violates these standards or any other established campus policies. Please review all University Computing Policies to understand your rights and responsibilities.
Administration of Standards
The oversight of these blogging standards is the responsibility of the CIO, and they should be reviewed annually.
- Fair, Responsible and Acceptable Use Policy
- Privacy of Personally Created Content
- Employee Code of Responsibility for Security & Confidentiality of Information
- Identity Theft Information - Storage, Disposal, Breach & Red Flags
- Federal HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)
- Federal FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) see Student Handbook