Skip to main content
Holcomb Building
Information Technology

IT Parent FAQs

In addition to the frequently asked questions below, our Prepare for Move-in page provides an overview of the technology preparations students should make before move-in day.

What type of email account will my student have?

Once accepted to Butler, all students are given an email account on Exchange Online, Butler's email and personal calendaring system. Students will receive a letter from the Office of Admission which will provide them with their Butler username and temporary password. Student email accounts come with a 50GB quota and can be accessed via the web or through a supported email client or smartphone. Additional information about Butler email can be found on our Email page.

What technology items should my student bring to campus?

See the list of items your student should bring to campus on the Prepare Your Technology for Move-In page.

What technology items should my student leave at home?

See the list of items your student should not bring to campus on the Prepare Your Technology for Move-In page.

Does Butler provide discounted software for students?

Butler has agreements with many different software companies to provide discounted software to students. Information on obtaining software at a discount can be found on our Software page.

What if students forget their Butler password?

Students can change their password by going to and answering a series of personal identifier questions. If students have problems with the password management tool, they can contact the Help Desk via email at or by calling 317-940-HELP (4357). Please note that the Help Desk can only provide password assistance to the actual account holder.  Additional information regarding passwords can be found on our Passwords page.

Does Butler provide service for student personal computers?

The Information Technology Help Desk (located on the 3rd floor of the Holcomb Building) is the single point of contact for technology issues that students may incur. The Help Desk provides support for issues with Butler's network and other systems as well as assistance with personal computers. Additional information about the Help Desk is available here.

What type of computer should we buy for our student to bring to Butler?

Butler supports both Mac and Windows-based computers. Recommendations for buying a new computer and information about the discounts students can receive on selected hardware can be found on our PCs, Macs, Tablets, and Peripherals page.

What should students bring with their computers?

Most areas of campus (including all residence halls) have wireless, so an Ethernet cable isn't really necessary. Students will need an Ethernet cable if they plan to connect game systems to Butler's network or would like a backup connection method. IT recommends that students bring an external hard drive to back up their data in case of incidents with their computer's hard drive. IT also highly recommends that students bring recovery media for their computer (operating system CDs, application CDs, backup CDs) and license keys (if applicable). Each residence hall has a computer lab and is equipped with a printer for students to use, though students can also bring a personal, non-wireless, printer to use in their residence hall room.

Will my student have access to other computers at Butler?

Students can access computer labs with individual work stations and networked printers in many campus buildings. Visit the computer labs homepage for locations, hours, and available software.

How does my student gain access to the Butler University network and the Internet?

Butler University provides students with access to high speed Internet and other network services through either a wired or wireless connection. Information on how to connect to Butler's network can be found on our Get Connected page.

Information about Butler's wireless network can be found on our Wireless Page.

Do residence hall rooms have cable television?

All residence hall rooms are equipped with a cable jack for cable television. Brighthouse Networks is the campus cable provider. Over 70 channels are offered, including CNN, MTV, ESPN, and FS1. See more information about cable and the channel list on our Cable TV page.

How do students take their placement exams?

Prospective students will be mailed a packet of information with detailed instructions on how to take their placement exams online through Moodle. Please visit the Placement Exams page for more information.

How does my student sign up for crisis/emergency notifications (DawgAlert)?

Students should visit the Dawg Alert page for information on how to sign up for DawgAlert.