- About IT
- Getting Started
- Policies & Security
- Help Desk
- System Alerts and Maintenance
Computing on Your Terms
IT is pleased to offer BUanywhere (also known as VDI) as a computing option for faculty and staff. BUanywhere offers a middle ground between the power of a desktop computer and the mobility of a laptop.
BUanywhere enables staff and faculty to Work From Anywhere.
BUanywhere is a Windows 7 based computer that is housed in the Butler data center and is accessible from a multitude of devices. Your computing experience will be similar to the experience of using a computer that sits on your desk. The real power of BUanywhere comes when you are not at your desk, whether on campus or off. Access all your files and applications securely and without the commute!
- Mobility - Work from anywhere that has a network connection, just like you were at your desk
- Security - Your BUanywhere computer and data stay in the datacenter which helps protect it from theft
- Access - Use all your applications and data from anywhere
- Recovery - If you have a major issue with your BUanywhere computer, IT will be able to get you back up and running faster than with a standard laptop or desktop
Depending on your role and computing needs, BUanywhere may or may not be the right computing solution for you. If you do any of the following items, we suggest you stay with a standard laptop or desktop:
- Need to access your BUanywhere computer while not connected to the Internet
- Need to use a web cam
- Need to use CDs
- Need more than 20GB of hard drive space
- Use multimedia extensively or do audio and video editing
- Heavily use high end applications like Adobe Creative Suite or AutoCAD
Note: Streaming audio and video (e.g., Pandora, YouTube, web video) are not perfect. This will improve over time but you shouldn't expect to watch full-screen HD video.
When you are on campus, you will use a small device called a Zero client. When you are off campus using another device, you will use an app. Follow the Windows or Mac device, iPad, or select Android Tablet instructions to learn how to install the app and access your BUanywhere computer using this method.
Access via a web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox) is also available:
- Visit https://buanywhere.butler.edu
- Click on the VMware Horizon View HTML Access icon on the right
- Click on the My BUanywhere to open your virtual desktop in your web browser window
Note: Image quality is lower when accessing via a web browser. For higher image quality, use a zero client or the app mentioned above to access BUanywhere.
If you are interested, please contact the IT Help Desk.