- Alerts and Maintenance
- New to Technology at Butler
- Knowledge Base
- IT Service Catalog
- Wireless/Wired - Get Connected
- Labs, Classrooms, & Mediated Spaces
- Free Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Getting Started With Office 2016
- University Managed Software and Personal Software Discounts
- Computer Rebuilds for Students
- Qualtrics Survey Tool
- Web Publishing
- ChemDraw and ChemBio 3D Ultra
- Cable TV
- File Storage and Sharing
- Online Training
- Training & Workshops
- Policies & Security
- About IT
- Help Desk
To protect your personal computer from viruses, Butler Information Technology recommends using the built-in security software provided with the operating system. Both Windows and MacOS computers come with built-in security software. Windows 8.1 and above includes Windows Defender, and Butler IT recommends Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 computers (download free here). If you would like additional protection, Butler IT recommends Sophos Home Edition (download free here) for both Windows and MacOS. Never use two different antivirus applications at the same time.
Prior to 2018, Butler pr0vided Symantec Endpoint Protection (antivirus) to students. Butler no longer owns licensing for Symantec Endpoint Protection. To keep your computer protected, Butler Information Technology (IT) recommends that you uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection from your personal computer (instructions for Windows and Mac).
Computers found to be infected by a virus will be removed from the network due to the security risk(s) they pose.