Programs for Leadership & Service Education
- Mission Statement
- Getting Involved
- Ambassadors of Change
- Orientation Programs
- Emerging Leaders Program
- Student Resources Overview
- Student Organization Advisors
- Reserving Space on Campus
- Late Night Events
- Student Organization Food Guidelines
- Certificate of Insurance
- Participant Waivers
- Publicity on Campus
- Other PuLSE Guidelines
- Code of Conduct
- About Atherton Union
- Volunteer Center
- PuLSE Office Staff
Businesses, organizations and individuals are not allowed to sell, address students or solicit business on the Butler campus unless a student organization is sponsoring the business, organization or individual for a specified:
- Period of time
If a business is selling something on campus, a percentage of the profits made must be given to the sponsoring organization. All such sales and solicitations on campus must be approved by the PuLSE Office.
Any group utilizing space on campus to promote their services, activities, events, etc., must:
- Stay within a reasonable proximity to the space they have reserved
- May not wander the campus soliciting
External Businesses, organizations and individuals will:
- Be accompanied by a representative from the sponsoring organization. Representatives must be present with the external group that they are sponsoring at all times the external group is present on campus
- Be limited to space within and in the immediate areas outside of Atherton Union
- Student organizations are limited to sponsoring one external organization annually.
- The length of time an external group may be on campus is limited to a reasonable time frame and will be determined by the Director of the PuLSE office.
Door-to-door solicitation in residence halls/apartment buildings is prohibited.
Business is to be conducted in the lobbies and groups must receive approval from the residence life coordinator of that building.
Students and organizations should report misrepresentation or inappropriate business practices by any such sales representatives to the Director of the PuLSE Office. There are certain restrictions to food and other outside vendors due to campus-wide contracts which include Pepsi.
No credit card companies may solicit credit card applications/accounts on campus.
These guidelines also refer to other types of solicitation of students, such as, political, religious, and other types of social issues.
Indianapolis-Marion County code (431-702) forbids street side solicitation and holding of signs within fifty feet of an intersection controlled by an automated traffic signal or a stop sign. This makes street fundraising (and "canning") an illegal activity. It's also against Indiana code to stop or impede traffic on a roadway for purposes of solicitation. Violations of both codes can result in heavy penalties by Indiana courts.
Organizations should not solicit on roadways. If there are questions regarding canning and/or street solicitation, please contact the PuLSE office, Greek Life, or Butler University Police Department.