Skip to main content
ICS Background
Internship & Career Services

On-Campus Employment

Student Employment at Butler

On-campus employment opportunities exist within nearly every office and department at Butler. Some of the many areas that employ students include: academic departments, business offices, intramurals, athletics, laboratories, tutoring, information technology, music teaching, theatre, telecommunications, residential halls, admissions, the Health and Recreation Complex (HRC), and nonprofit organizations. If you are a student interested in working part-time, here are some resources that will guide you through the application process:

  • Butler University Student Employment (BUSE) Guide - The Butler University Student Employment (BUSE) Guide will show you how to use Handshake, Butler's online career management system. 
  • Handshake - Our online career management system provides access to on-campus and off-campus employment opportunities.
  • Student Employment FAQs - These are some frequently asked questions regarding student employment at Butler. 
  • New Hire Paperwork Packet - If you have never worked in an on-campus position, you will need to complete some preliminary paperwork. 

Here are some resources for current student employees:

Important Dates:

  • August 1, 2018 - Students eligible for Federal Work Study funds may begin applying to on-campus and Federal Work Study jobs through Handshake.
  • August 10, 2018 - All students may begin applying to on-campus jobs through Handshake.
  • Thursday, August 23rd, 2018: Get Hired! Part-time Job Fair from 3:00-4:30 in the Reilly Room 

Please note: Securing an on-campus job is extremely competitive. While the resources above are a good start, we strongly suggest networking with staff, faculty, and other students as a way to find employment that may not be posted online. Students may also request a resume critique appointment by contacting Internship and Career Services at (317) 940-9383 or


Attention Incoming Students

If you plan on securing on-campus employment, you will be asked to complete an I-9 for your first on-campus position. The I-9 must be completed to verify identity and work authorization for anyone hired in the United States. Part of the I-9 completion process requires that you present acceptable documents to your employer (e.g. faculty and staff supervisors). This link explains which documents are acceptable. Documents MUST be unexpired originals. Photocopies and scanned images will not be accepted. I would also encourage you to view "New Hire Paperwork" link found below.

What does being eligible for Federal Work Study mean?

Students who have been awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) as a part of their financial aid package must secure on campus employment or Community Service employment in order to receive the offered tax benefit. Work Study and Community Work Study positions are available on-campus in a number of university departments and off-campus at approved non-profit and government agencies. The dollars that are awarded to you must be acquired by working in an approved campus job—the only jobs on campus that do not fall under this category are those that are with outside companies such as Aramark, Follett, Starbucks, Scotty's Dawghouse, Metro Diner, etc. 


Does the money I earn go directly towards my tuition?

The student receives a paycheck with normal withholding - the money is not automatically applied toward their student account.  The primary benefit of the Federal Work Study program for the student is that the income from this type of employment is exempt from the income reported on the subsequent year's Financial Aid Form. If a student works beyond the dollars offered through Federal Work Study, the additional income will have to be reported on the subsequent Financial Aid Form.

How do I know if I am FWS eligible?

FWS students will be informed individually by Financial Aid of your eligibility status, and amount of funds offered. If a student is unsure of whether or not they are eligible for FWS funds, please contact Financial Aid at (317) 940-8200.

Are FWS students guaranteed an on-campus job?

Supervisors are free to hire any student they feel is the best fit for the job, department, or organization. However, FWS students do have the opportunity to apply for on-campus jobs on Handshake about 10 days earlier than all other students, giving them a slight advantage. Some supervisors take this into account and will hire FWS students based on financial need for a job on campus, but others will hire based purely on fit, whether they are FWS eligible or not. 

Are there other employment options for FWS students?

Various organizations partner with Butler University by hiring only FWS eligible students to work for the academic year. Each year, there are about 10 non-profit organizations (located both on and off campus) that will hire Butler students, on the terms that Butler is responsible for paying 100% of the students' wages, up to the students' allotted FWS monetary award. These jobs are found in the same section on Handshake where on-campus jobs are located.

Federal Work Study Benefits

The Federal Work-Study - Community Service (FWS-CS) program gives you an opportunity to earn money to help pay for your educational expenses.


Off-campus employers, within the program, receive a large subsidy when they hire Work-Study students, so you are much more likely to be hired if you have Work-Study eligibility.


These organizations partner with Butler University by hiring only Work-Study eligible students to work for the academic year. Each year, there are about 12-18 non-profit organizations (located both on and off campus) that will hire Butler students, on the terms that Butler is responsible for paying 100% of the students' wages, up to the students' allotted FWS monetary award.


Among the many benefits of being a federal work study student and receiving the tax exemption credit, students will also:

  • Flexible work schedules
  • Valuable work experience 
  • Less reliance on student loan borrowing 
  • Apply academic learning to real-world problems
  • Explore and develop their interest in public and community service
  • FWS employment is positively linked to academic achievement and graduation
  • Explore potential career paths and develop career-supporting references

Off-Campus Federal Work Study Sites

Federal Work Study students have the option of working at a FWS - Community Service site and receviing their paychecks from Butler. Here is a list of our past FWS partners: 

  • Art With A Heart 
  • Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site 
  • Humane Society of Indianapolis 
  • Harrison Center for the Arts 
  • Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra 
  • Indianapolis Children's Choir 
  • Indiana Legal Services 
  • Indianapolis Symphonic Choir 
  • International School of Indiana 
  • Indiana Youth Institute 
  • The Orchard School 
  • St. Thomas Aquinas School 
  • The Indianapolis YMCA 
  • The Schrott Center on Butler University's campus 

Maximizing the Student Employment Experience

Do you consider working part-time as "just a job"? The reality is that your on-campus work experience is so much more than that! Using your time wisely while you work is going to positively impact your life professionally, academically, and personally. Take pride in the fact that you are working in addition to being in school.  Find out five ways to maximize your time. Also, Affordable Colleges Online has some great information for you to think through as well.


Questions regarding on-campus employment can be forwarded to Daniel Aguilar, the On-Campus Student Employment Coordinator. He is located in the Internship & Career Services office in Atherton Union, room 315, and can be reached at (317) 940-8425 or via e-mail at