STUDENT EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION WEEK
Butler’s Student Employee of the Year program is an excellent way to celebrate the impact Butler University student employees make on our campus every day. For their hard work and diligence, we try to showcase Butler student employees who have shown exemplary strides in contributing to the Butler Community.
There are three awards presented, once a year, during National Student Employee Appreciation (NSEA) Week:
- Student Employee of the Year: This student will be judged on their reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism, and their uniqueness of contribution. The recipient will compete in the regional competition, and may compete nationally.
- Outstanding New Student Employee of the Year: This award will be given to a student working in a position for less than one year who has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to their position, department, and educational goals.
- The Student Employee Leadership Award: This award will be given to the student who has demonstrated a keen sense of leadership in their position. Leadership may include supervising others or exhibiting great communication, decision making, and problem solving skills.
Supervisor of the Year Award
The Supervisor of the Year Award was established to draw attention to supervisors who excel in their positions and are highly regarded by their student employees for their consistent leadership, integrity, understanding and support of their employees, both professionally and personally. These supervisors know that the productivity, quality of work and morale in the department/division are enhanced by well treated employees. In addition, an employee’s loyalty and dedication are the direct results of their supervisors’ positive attitude, integrity, sensitivity, empowering leadership style and sense of humor. Butler University student employees are invited to nominate an outstanding supervisor/manager who consistently exhibits positive leadership and managerial practices.
How to nominate a Supervisor: please write a one page statement stating why you think this supervisor should be recognized and how they have impacted your learning as a student employee. Nominations can be submitted through the link below!
Student Employee Appreciation Week
Every year, Butler recognizes the importance of our student employees and the contributions they make to our university. This week draws the awareness of others, inside and outside of the University, to the major achievements student workers have made in the multitude of roles they fill. This year's Student Employee Appreciation Week is April 10th - 14th, 2017. Our annual Student Employee Appreciation luncheon and, unveiling of award recipients, will be on Tuesday, April 11th. Stay tuned for more details to come!
Weeklong activities April 10-14, 2017
Department Photo Contest
Location: Post Here (No social media required!)
Time: All week
Time to show off your department's creative side with our annual Department Photo Contest! Submit a photo of your department to our photo contest link below by Thursday April 13th to be entered. Encourage your department to vote for your picture to win a Donut Party for your office!
Door Decorating Contest
Location: Department Offices
Time: All week
Time to get competitive! ICS will start the door decorating contest by decorating our own office doors to show our spirit for Student Employee Appreciation Week, posting photos on our social media, and then challenging another department to do the same.
At the end of the week, the department whose picture has the most ‘likes’ on their social media account will be selected as a winner for the door decorating contest. The winning department will get a pizza party for their office, courtesy of ICS!
How to participate:
Once you’ve been challenged, decorate at least one door in your department’s office to show your support for Student Employee Appreciation Week. Be creative! Post a photo of your finished door decoration(s) to Instagram, Facebook, and/or Twitter. Be sure to tag ICS (@ButlerICS) and use the hashtag #ButlerSEAW in your post!
Challenge another department on campus to decorate their doors. Be sure to check this department’s social media accounts first to ensure that they haven’t already participated. On Friday, April 14th, we will announce the winner of the contest. The winning department will be awarded a pizza party for the whole office!
Monday April 10, 2017
Donut Stand and Appreciation Station
Location: Starbucks Tables
This year, the Office of Internship and Career Services is kicking off Student Employee Appreciation Week with a complimentary Donut Stand and Appreciation Station! Are you a student with an on-campus job? Do you have an awesome supervisor or supervisors that you would like to show appreciation for? Well now is your chance! The Office of Internship and Career Services will be hosting an "Appreciation Station" with a variety of materials to craft posters, write Thank-You cards, and create your own personal tokens of appreciation! Feel free to come by as you please and get some free donuts too!
Tuesday April 11, 2017
Student Employee Appreciation Luncheon
Location: Atherton Union, Reilly Room
This year’s Open House Luncheon will be in the Atherton Union Reilly Room from 12:00 - 1:30pm. This event is open to all student employees, come join us for an afternoon of games, lunch, refreshments, and music as we celebrate all of our student employees and their contributions to our University. Don't forget to RSVP!
12:00-12:30pm: Opening Remarks and Food
12:30-1:00pm: Review of Nominee Statements and Acknowledgment of Supervisors
1:00-1:30pm: Supervisor and Student games (board games and activities will be provided)
Wednesday April 12, 2017
Departmental Student Employee Appreciation Day
Student employees perform invaluable services with enthusiasm, dedication, and initiative. Today is the day to show appreciation for your individual department’s student employees! This could be something as grandiose as an office pizza party or something as simple as a Thank You card. Here are 25 Student Employee Recognition Ideas to commemorate the student employees in your department!
Thursday April 13, 2017
2nd Annual Student versus Staff/Faculty Dodgeball Tournament
Location: Butler University Health and Recreation Complex
This year ICS and the Health and Recreation Complex will be teaming up to bring you the 2nd annual Student vs Staff/Faculty Dodegball Tournament! Come watch fellow students and staff members go head to head on the court with matches starting from 3:00-4:30pm in the HRC basketball courts. Teams of 6 may register. You do not need a team to join, individuals will be grouped together to form teams. All staff, faculty, and students are encouraged to participate!
Friday April 14, 2017
Meet the Advisers! Open Resume and Cover Letter critiques in the Internship and Career Services Office
Location: Internship and Career Services Office, Atherton Union, Room 315
Time: Friday, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
As Student Employee Appreciation Week comes to a close, we would like to invite you to come see what Internship & Career Services is all about! Stop by anytime from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM on Friday! Our ICS Career Advisors will be offering:
This is also the perfect time to schedule an appointment with us and to start applying for jobs for next semester. Everyone is welcome!
For questions regarding Student Employee of the Year or Student Employee Appreciation Week, please contact Daniel Aguilar at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-8425.
Please complete the Nomination Form Packet with information about the nominee, as indicated:
- Write a Nomination Letter describing the nominee’s accomplishments, using a departmental letterhead for your Nomination Letter. The letter can be no longer than one page. Please note: only one nomination letter will be considered for each nominee.
- Deliver the nomination form and letter to the Office of Internship and Career Services in AU 315. Nominations will be accepted via hand-delivery, via campus mail or by email to email@example.com. Campus nominations are due to the Internship and Career Services office by Friday February 19th, 2018 at 8:00 AM. Nominations submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- A selection committee will review nominations and select a campus winner.
All students nominated for Butler Student Employee of the Year must meet the following criteria:
- Must be currently attending Butler University.
- Must have been employed for a minimum of six months in a part-time position for the same employer (between June 1, 2015 and May 31, 2016 ).
- Must be working in part-time, non-degreed positions, either on campus or in the Indianapolis community (includes Federal Work Study—Community Service organizations).
- Each campus winner will receive a certificate and congratulatory letter from MASEA (Midwest Association of Student Employment Administrators)
- State winners will receive a certificate and check for $75.00
- The MASEA regional winner will receive a plaque and a check for $150.00 will then be submitted for the NSEA Student Employee of the Year Program
Student Employee of the Year:
Bridget Woodson (Marketing and Communications Intern, Art with a Heart)
Outstanding New Student Employee of the Year:
Anthony Viega (Graduate Assistant, Band and Spirit Program)
Student Employee Leadership:
Paige Haefer (Butler Student Ambassador, Office of Admissions)
Student Employee of the Year: Anna Mehilich
Outstanding New Student Employee of the Year: Nicolas Huang
Student Employee Leadership: Kyle Allen
Student Employee of the Year: Eric Sanders (SEOTY Winner for the State of Indiana)
Outstanding New Student Employee of the Year: Molly Nebiolo
Student Employee Leadership: Katie Newberry
Student Employee of the Year: Erica Gilliland
Outstanding New Student Employee of the Year: Lindsey Wacnik
Student Employee Leadership: Hannah Simmons
Student Employee of the Year: Alex Davidson
Outstanding New Student Employee of the Year: Katherine Youngen
Student Employee Leadership: Stephanny Tauber
Student Employee of the Year: Levi Smith
Helen Ann Heimark