Indy Summer Experience
Does your summer at home consist of lying around the house in your pajamas? Do you find yourself counting down the days until you can finally move back to campus and be reunited with your friends? If so, why not stay in Indianapolis and participate in the Indy Summer Experience?
Indy Summer Experience (ISE), which is coordinated by Internship and Career Services (ICS), is a program that gives students the chance to both work and play in the great city of Indianapolis. Students secure and complete an internship (or similar professional experience) with a local organization in the day, and in the evenings, the program offers social and cultural events for entertainment. This is a great opportunity to make Indy connections with employers, have fun around town, and spend the summer with your friends!
Indy Summer Experience 2018 includes Financial Sponsorship by
What can you expect to learn? What are the benefits of Indy Summer Experience? Below are the program's learning outcomes:
- Participant will gain experience in their field of interest by performing an internship or similar professional experience in the Indianapolis area.
- Participant will gain a greater understanding of the cultural, diverse, and social offerings of the Indianapolis area.
- Participant will meet Butler University alumni and local professionals by attending structured events.
Past events have included a tour of the Dallara IndyCar Factory, team-building at The Escape Room, dinner at Napolese, an outing to an Indianapolis Indians baseball game, a cooking class at Chef JJ's Back Yard, a tour of Roche Diagnostics, and a downtown dinner at The Rathskellar. Sounds infinitely better than sitting on the couch all summer, right?
Last summer’s events included:
- ActiveIndy Downtown walking tour + dinner from Clustertruck at The SpeakEasy
- The Children's Museum collections tour + dinner at Shoefly Public House
- “Breaking the Cycle of Poverty” at Shepherd Community Center + dinner at Jockamo Pizza
- People for Urban Progress tour + dinner at Big Woods Speedway
- Team-building at The Escape Room Fishers + ice cream from Handel's
- Service Projects with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful and Outreach Inc.
- Dinner at Trader’s Point Creamery
Attendance at the Indy Summer Experience events is required for all participants. These events, which include meals, take place on various Wednesday evenings and are completely free to students.
The 2018 Indy Summer Experience is open to all Butler University students and majors that are not graduating on or before Saturday, May 12. It is a competitive program and limited to 20-25 participants. You are encouraged to submit your application materials early, even before you secure your internship or professional experience.
Participants in the 2018 Indy Summer Experience, which will take place from June 6 to August 1, must complete the following requirements:
Secure and provide proof of an internship or similar professional experience.* Complete a 20 hour per week minimum with any combination of the following professional experiences: paid or unpaid internship, student teaching position, Pharmacy or PA rotation, faculty-guided research project, or set volunteer schedule.
- Attend each of the six events on select Wednesday evenings from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.**
- Provide own transportation to and from events and service projects.
Internship and Career Services Appointment
Schedule and complete one professional development appointment with an Internship and Career Services Career Advisor that may include a personal assessment, cover letter or resume critique, practice interview, or other career advising topic.
Give a brief presentation highlighting the summer internship and program experience at the final event.
*Participant will receive a Professional Experience Confirmation form that is due by 5:00 PM on Wednesday, May 30.
**If needed and with advance notice, participant is allowed to miss one event.
Living in on-campus housing is not a requirement for Indy Summer Experience participants. Participants in need of on-campus housing are encouraged to contact Residence Life in Atherton Union, Room 303 for availability, options, and rates.
2. Employer, Faculty, or Staff Recommendation Form
- A past or present employer or a Butler University faculty or staff member must complete online form directly
3. Personal Statement & Resume
- Personal Statement: Explain why you are interested in participating in the 2018 Indy Summer Experience in 500 to 750 words
- Resume: Include a current resume
- Email both the personal statement and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: ISE Application
Please send RSVP to Andy Cassler at email@example.com to attend.
Wednesday, March 21st - AU326
4:00-4:30 PM OR 4:30-5:00 PM (You only need to attend one session)
Thursday, March 22nd - HB235
- Learn more about ISE dates, events, learning outcomes, and requirements
- Hear from previous ISE participants about their experiences!
FUTURE INFO SESSIONS:
Wednesday, April 4 - LOCATION TBD
- 4:00-4:30 PM OR 4:30-5:00 PM
- Friday, April 13 by 5:00 PM
- Tuesday, April 17 by 5:00 PM
- Tuesday, April 24 12:00 PM
Professional Experience Confirmation Deadline
- Wednesday, May 30 by 5:00 PM
2018 Indy Summer Experience Program
- June 6 to August 1