Student Hiring Process
- Creating the position: If the position is brand new, supervisors will need to submit a "New Position Formstack" (listed below) to create the new position for the department. If the position is not brand new, move on to the next step.
- Promoting the position: We encourage supervisors to promote the role via our on campus job board, Handshake. If you need assistance, please contact the ICS office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hiring the student: Once you have identified a student(s) you would like to hire, consider the type of student they are (listed below) before moving forward.
Student Hiring - two types of student hires
- New Hire: A student who does not currently have an on campus position, or has never had a on campus position, must submit New Hire Paperwork:
- All paperwork is to be submitted to Internship and Career Services - AU315.
- Lastly, the supervisor must complete the students eHire form.
- Existing Hire: A student who currently has an on campus position or has held a on campus job before, the supervisor need only complete the eHire form in the my.butler portal. If you do not see access to the eHire system, in your Manager Self-Service tab of My.Butler, a quick IT Help Desk ticket should get you access.
New Hire Paperwork Packet & Grant Funded Form
New Hire Paperwork MUST be submitted no more then 3 days past the students first day of employment. Training counts as employment and is paid work. The packets and forms can be downloaded and printed below:
|This packet contains the Butler HR Policy form, I-9, W-4 tax form, and the WH-4 take form. Students are responsible for completing all forms, except page 2 of the I-9. Supervisors are responsible for completing page 2 of the I-9.|
|Grant Funded Student Employee form||
Changing Pay Rates, Supervisors, and Budget Codes:
Status Change Formstack Form
This allows you to update the following: Pay Rate, Primary Supervisor, Account/Combo Code, Job Title, and Backup Time Approver. Contact email@example.com for assistance if needed.
New Position Formstack Form
If you are creating a position that has never existed at Butler, you will need to complete the "New Position Formstack Form. Once processed, you will receive a four-digit Position Number from the Office of Human Resources within 1-2 business days. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance if needed.
eHire Help: Supervisor Guides
- How do I hire a student?
- How do I know if the student I want to hire is a New Hire or not?
- How do I check the status of students submitted via eHire?
- How do I terminate a student employee in eHire?
- How do I view student compensation rates, position numbers, etc.?
- How do I fill out the supervisor portion of the I-9?
I-9 Video Guides
I-9 Written Guides
I-9 Written Examples
- Part of the I-9 completion process requires that student employees present acceptable identification documents to you as their supervisor. Supervisors will then complete page 2 of the I-9 form with the presented documents. This link explains which documents are acceptable. Documents MUST be unexpired originals. Photocopies and scanned images will not be accepted. Document types can be found on page 3 of the I-9, and will show which list (A, B or C) each document must be filled in.
- All I-9 identification documents must be copied in color, and must be copied front and back. For passports, supervisors must copy page 28.
- If you prefer, students can bring their documents to the ICS office (AU 315) and the Student Employment Coordinator will make the correct copies.
We regularly hear from and meet with students who are actively seeking on-campus employment. They often ask why more on-campus positions are not posted in Handshake, and have expressed a great interest in having a centralized location to house existing jobs. When posting a job in Handshake, you can specify an end date for applications, narrow your search to students with specific majors, and have student applications emailed to you. If you would like to post a position in Handshake or learn more about how to use it, please contact Internship and Career Services at (317) 940-9383 or email@example.com.
The following guide explains how to input and approve time for student employees in my.butler
Yes! Please download this guide to see how to enter your student employees' hours for them. However we strongly encourage you as the supervisor to be sure your student employees are filling in their own timesheets.
Please review the required steps via our Guide for Hiring International Students.
- International students can only work on campus jobs (not off campus).
- International students must apply for a social security (SS) card OR already have a SS card to work on campus:
- When completing paperwork, HR will accept a 'SS card receipt' in order for the student to be hired and start working.
- However, when the student receives their actual SS card, they must present the card immediately to HR or The Student Employment Coordinator.
For additional guidance on International Student resources, please feel free to contact Bobbie Gibson in the International Student Services office (firstname.lastname@example.org).