Skip to main content
ICS Background
Internship & Career Services

Federal Work Study Community Service Organizations

Federal Work Study (FWS) provides part-time job opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Work Study and Community Work Study positions are available on-campus in a number of university departments and off-campus at approved non-profit and government agencies. Students usually work anywhere from 5 to 16 hours per week and hourly pay rates vary depending on job responsibilities and skill level required.

Each year, Butler University partners with 12-18 non-profit organizations (located both on and off campus) that hire Butler students eligible for Federal Work Study to work part-time during the academic year. Butler covers 100% of the students' wages, up to the students' allotted Federal Work Study monetary award designated by Financial Aid.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Federal Work Study Community Service (FWS CS) Organization?

These organizations partner with Butler University by hiring only Work-Study eligible students to work for the academic year. Each year, there are about 12-18 non-profit organizations (located both on and off campus) that will hire Butler students, on the terms that Butler is responsible for paying 100% of the students' wages, up to the students' allotted FWS monetary award.


Employers must confirm all federal work study positions with the Student Employment Coordinator, prior to being advertised to Butler students. 

How does an organization become a FWS CS Organization?

The first step is to make contact with Alyssa Laskowski at (317) 940-6562 or After doing a basic review to see if the organization would be a good fit for Butler students and vice versa, the organization will be added to a waiting list. As more funds become available during an academic year, or at the start of a new academic year, organizations will be contacted on that list in the order that they requested to hire Butler students. It is not a guarantee that funds will become available at any time, but there have been instances in the past in which we have been able to add new organizations.

How do students apply to jobs at FWS CS Organizations?

Every job gets posted on Handshake, our job search website. A basic job description form must be completed in order to post the open job, and Students apply directly through that system (all applications are sent via email to the supervisor). Once the supervisor has students in mind that they would like to interview or hire, they must first double check that the student is eligible for FWS funds. They can do this by contacting Internship and Career Services.

How many students can be hired?

The number of students that can be hired and the amount they can be paid is determined each year by the federal funding Butler University is allotted to use. It can vary from year to year, but typically supervisors divide roughly 20 hours per week among 1-5 students.

What is the process to officially hire a student?

All applications placed on Handshake will be sent directly to the supervisor via email. Once the supervisor has some students in mind they would like to hire or interview, they must first officially check that the student is eligible for FWS funds, by either having the student contact Financial Aid at (317) 940-8200 or Alyssa Laskowski at (317) 940-6562 or

What does it mean for a student to be eligible for FWS?

Students who have been awarded Federal Work Study as a part of their financial aid package must seek on campus employment or Community Service employment. The dollars that are awarded to you must be acquired by working in an approved job. The primary benefit of the Federal Work Study program for the student is that the income from this type of employment is exempt from the income reported on the subsequent year's Financial Aid Form. If a student works beyond the dollars offered through Federal Work Study, the additional income will have to be reported on the subsequent Financial Aid Form. Only students who meet federal guidelines and have been awarded aid or are eligible for aid may apply to FWS CS organizations. If a student or supervisor needs to check the FWS status for any student, they may contact Financial Aid ((317) 940-8200) or Alyssa Laskowski at (317) 940-6562 or

How does a student get paid?

The supervisor must submit timesheets every week to the Student Employment Coordinator, which can be submitted either by scanning and emailing them to  (this is the preferred method) or via fax at (317) 940-6443. Simultaneously, the student will enter an online time and labor system to record the hours they have worked. The student will be paid bi-weekly according to Butler's payroll system.

Does Federal Work Study go straight to covering tuition?

Unlike other types of financial aid, work-study earnings are not applied directly to your tuition and fees. Students who are awarded work-study receive the funds in a paycheck as they earn them, based on hours worked, just like a normal job. These earnings are meant to help with the day to day expenses that students have and are not meant to cover large costs like tuition and housing.

How many hours is a FWS student allowed to work?

Students may not exceed more than 16 hours per week.

Can FWS students work during summer break?

Students can only work within the academic school calendar year, which includes scheduled breaks and holidays (e.g. spring break). Students may not work over summer break.

For more questions or if you are interested in becoming an off-campus Federal Work Study Community Service organization, please contact Alyssa Laskowski at (317) 940-6562 or Federal funding may change from year to year, and interested organizations will often be put on a wait list until more funding becomes available.