Healthcare and Business Major requirements
The healthcare sector is rapidly evolving. More jobs are being created in healthcare-related industries than any other sector of the US economy. The Healthcare and Business major is an excellent option that allows students to pursue a wide variety of career paths within healthcare focused industries. Following successful completion of this bachelor's degree, students are well prepared to go directly into the workforce in a variety of areas (red and blue areas below) or into graduate programs (green and yellow areas below.)
Admission Information: Prospective Students
Helpful suggestions for high school students who are interested in the Healthcare and Business major:
- Take challenging courses during your high school years. Choose being challenged over an "easy A."
- If your school offers Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses, take the standardized exams at the end of those courses. Scores of at least 4 on AP exams, or at least 5 on IB exams, will earn college credit for the respective course at Butler. Specific AP/IB course suggestions for those interested in the Healthcare and Business major include biology, calculus, chemistry, macroeconomics, microeconomics, psychology, and statistics. Studies suggest that AP exam scores are a very strong predictor of college success. AP exam scores may be a better predictor of college success than high school GPA.
- Prepare well for the ACT (or SAT).
- Actively participate in the clubs (such as DECA or HOSA), programs, or enrichment opportunities offered by your high school that focus on business or healthcare.
- Admission preference will be given to students who meet the following criteria:
- High school weighted GPA at least 3.0. The student average GPA 4.0
- ACT composite of at least 29 or SAT combined critical reading and math of at least 1233, with no subsection below 530
- Four years of science and math in high school
- Interesting in learning more? Schedule a visit.
Does your long term goal include a patient care-focused graduate program (such as a medical, dental, physician assistant, physical therapy or optometry program) and you are unsure which undergraduate major to declare? If so, you may find these suggestions helpful in your decision making process.
Change of Major Information: Current Butler Students
Students who have completed two or more full semesters at Butler, and who have achieved academic success in no less than three substantial science, math, or business courses are eligible to apply for a change of major. (At least two of those courses should be science courses.) Note AP, IB, or dual credit courses taken while in high school do not count toward this three course requirement. Applicants will be evaluated on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, their demonstrated academic ability, professional conduct, and desired career path. Applications will be accepted anytime after qualifications are met (and grades finalized), however students are more likely to have a their application reviewed prior to their course enrollment windows opening if applications are received prior to October 1st in the fall semester, or prior to March 1st in the spring semester. For more information and a change of major application, please contact Tina Vawter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-9655.
This curriculum blends healthcare and business courses in a creative, unique, and flexible fashion. In addition to the Butler Core Curriculum, students in the healthcare & business program take basic science courses, our “core” healthcare courses, several fundamental and advanced courses related to the business of healthcare. Students further individualize their curriculum by choosing from over 86 healthcare or business related electives that optimally prepare them for their chosen career path. The full curricular requirements can be found here.
Current students will find the most current curriculum documents on the COPHS Resources section of Canvas. Students not currently in COPHS may contact Tina Vawter email@example.com or 317-940-9655 for curricular documents.
Student Learning Outcomes for the Healthcare and Business Program
Students successfully completing this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate ethical, professional, collaborative, and culturally-sensitive behavior in business and healthcare settings
- Integrate natural & social sciences and healthcare fundamentals with business principles to solve complex problems and optimize health outcomes
- Locate, critically analyze, and apply data in a manner that supports evidence-based healthcare
- Communicate effectively with laypersons, health professionals, and business leaders on health and business-related matters