Skip to main content

Error message

Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Health Promotion

Well-Being FAQs

Being at Butler, new and experienced students alike often have questions about campus life and how best to take care of all dimensions of their well-being. Here, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and organized them by topics to help you find the answers you're looking for.

While this list includes a large number of questions applicable to many different situations, it is not exhaustive. If you have other questions regarding maintaining your well-being while navigating campus life, feel free to reach out to Katie Wood, Assistant Director of Health Promotion & Wellness, at


  • What happens if you miss an exam?
    • If you know that you have to miss an exam or any class time, be sure to talk with your professor ahead of time so that you can schedule a new time to take the exam and/or discuss what you will miss.
  • When do you need to get your textbooks?
    • Some students order textbooks before classes start, while others wait until after the first day. Make sure you have them before the first day you need them by checking out the Butler Bookstore.
  • What do I do if I don’t have my own laptop or computer?
  • What are good networking opportunities to prepare students for the workforce? 
    • Career fairs, internships, and networking-focused events will be planned by the Career and Professional Success office throughout the school year. Learn more here and be on the lookout for these opportunities. Also, talking with your academic advisor is a great way to learn about more networking opportunities. 
  • How do you get a tutor? 
    • The Center for Academic Success and Exploration offers academic coaching as well as individualized peer tutoring and study tables beginning two weeks into the semester. You may also be able to find other tutoring opportunities within your major by talking with your academic advisor.
  • What resources are available to help me succeed in class?
  • How do I declare my major? When is a good time to do so?
    • Students generally declare a major during their second year at Butler if they have chosen to be an Exploratory Studies major during their first year. To declare,  you will contact your Exploratory Studies advisor to schedule an appointment to discuss your decision. Then you will fill out a short form and turn it into the LAS Dean’s Office and shortly be assigned a new advisor. You can learn more here.
  • Tips for 8am classes?
    • Some helpful strategies include: getting plenty of sleep so that you are energized and ready for the day, laying out your clothes the night before, and having a walking buddy to keep you accountable.
  • I’m interested in becoming a Community Assistant. How do I start that process?
    • The Community Assistant (CA) is a paraprofessional leadership position in Residence Life. The CA acts as a peer leader and lives in a unit of students within a residence hall. The CA is a helpful resource and serves as a first point of contact for community building, questions, roommate mediation, etc. Learn more here, and be on the lookout in the spring hiring period for more information. 
  • Where do you find professor office hours?
    • Most professors post their office hours on their syllabus, which can generally be found on their class page on Canvas. However, if you cannot find their office hours or office number, don’t feel afraid to email them and ask.
  • Where should I go for help with my resume?
    • Career and Professional Success is a great resource for students to get help with resumes. You can make an appointment with a career advisor to get help with resumes along with many other areas.
  • How do you make an appointment for help with writing papers?
    • The Writers Studio is a great resource for any kind of writing, in any stage of the process. Learn more here.
  • If you have a class during a professor’s office hours, what is the best way to build a relationship and get to know them?
    • Professors understand that students have difficult schedules and may not always be able to make it to their normal office hours. Feel free to send an email to ask for a different meeting time or even talk to them after class. 
  • Is it possible to print out our schedules?
    • You can print your schedule by logging on to My.Butler and click on Self Service Student Homepage, then Student Center. By clicking on Weekly Schedule under the list of classes you can choose to view your schedule in Weekly Calendar View and can print that screen with your weekly class schedule on it.

Social Experiences

  • What are some good places to eat/hang out in Indy?
    • Broad Ripple Village is close to Butler and has a variety of dining, activities, events, and shopping options. Mass Ave (downtown Indianapolis) is also home to the arts district, with lots of shopping, activities, and dining options. VisitIndy, the official tourism guide for Indianapolis, shares about fun things to do and places to go
  • How do I get connected with others on campus?
    • Butler has over 160 student organizations and clubs, as well as sports, intramurals, and more. Take advantage of these opportunities to find others who are excited and passionate about the same things you are. Learn more here.
  • What should you do if you think your roommate situation is unhealthy?
    • Talk to your Residential Life staff members. They should be your first resource when it comes to matters within your live-in residence and are trained in mediating difficult conversation between roommates. If you feel like you may need professional advice, the Counseling and Consultation Services is a great, free resource for students--they regularly meet with students to discuss relationships, of all kinds.
  • I'm interested in Dawg Pound tickets for Athletics events. Where can I learn more?
  • Is there a convenience store on campus?
    • There are small stores with miscellaneous merchandise available at the Butler Bookstore in Atherton Union, Plum Market in Atherton Union, and at C-Store in Apartment Village. Check out the full list of options on the Butler Dining website.
  • What do you do in Greek life?
    • Greek life is full of on campus activities, philanthropy, service events, network with alumni members, and social events. Learn more about Fraternity and Sorority Life community here.
  • What are the hours for the gym?
    • You can find the Health and Recreation Complex hours and contact information here.
  • Where can I find resources for sexual misconduct? 
    • The Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Specialist is available to support survivors of sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking as well as help shape the campus culture through outreach and education to all students. Our Counseling and Consultation Services can give qualified and professional advice to all parties involved. If you feel it is needed to file a report for sexual misconduct, the Title IX Coordinator, University Police, and Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Specialist are all ready and prepared to help. Learn more here.
  • What are some of the important policies to know about campus and alcohol?
    • It's important to know campus policies in order to keep yourself and others safe. Learn more about student conduct here.
  • How difficult it is to hold down a part time job while at school? Where can I apply for on-campus jobs?
    • Many students find it rewarding to have a part time job while attending Butler. Depending on your course schedule, and amount of extracurricular activities, work availability is different for everyone. There are many employment opportunities on campus that are flexible and understanding with student workers. Check out opportunities for student employment on Handshake or visit the Career and Professional Success website.
  • What kind of things go on during the weekend on campus?
    • There is always programming on-campus, such as Late Nite events from SGA, Butler Athletics, shows at Clowes Memorial Hall, and much more. Also, downtown Indianapolis is just a short drive away and offers many exciting activities. 
  • What do you do if you think someone else is struggling and they need help?
    • Butler is a caring community, so we encourage you to check-in on anyone you may be concerned about. Let them know you care and you’re there to listen. If the student lives in your residence community, your CA may be a good resource to talk to. Counseling and Consultation Services are a great professional resource that is always free and available to students; they can consult with you on how to help.
  • Do you have any advice for choosing to study when it’s hard and your friends are going out?
    • Finding a balance between your academic needs and your social needs is important to maintaining overall well-being. Both are important parts of your collegiate experience! Remind yourself you're here to earn your degree, but also know that taking a break is sometimes what is best for your well-being.
  • What is the best way to get to know more people on campus?
    • A great way to get to know more people on campus is to keep an open mind and get involved, in any way that you find fit! Some other ways to meet new people include talking to people in your classes, setting up study groups, getting involved in your major, or any other student organization that suits your interests. Check out Butler Engage for a listing of all student organizations.
  • In terms of overall social life on campus, how big is Greek life?
    • Many students choose to get involved in the fraternity and sorority community; there are 5 IFC organizations, 7 Panhellenic, and 1 NPHC organizations. Learn more here.
  • How do you become a Student Orientation Guide?
    • The SOG application will be released to students in the spring semester of the academic year. Following an application, if the student is picked to continue with the process, there are multiple rounds of interviews. This process is competitive, but worthwhile for students that are interested in helping students transition to Butler.

Mental Health

  • Should you tell your professors about any disabilities/mental health problems you have or keep it to yourself?
    • Students are encouraged to register with Student Disability Services to ensure that any needed accommodations will be individually adjusted. SDS will help you connect with your professors for such adjustments.
  • How can I connect with campus mental health services?
    • You can make an appointment by calling Counseling and Consultation Services at (317)-940-9385 or going into their office in HRC 120. Appointments are generally required, but CCS is always ready to accept someone in crisis without an appointment.
  • Are counseling services free? Are they confidential?
    • Yes. Butler’s counseling services are always free. CCS is a confidential resource for students with a couple exceptions:
      • there is an immediate danger to themselves or others, or risk of harm to children, the elderly and the physically or mentally handicapped, or
      • a court has ordered CCS to release information.
    • More information about confidentiality at CCS can be found here.
  • What’s the best way to handle stress?
    • There are many different practices that you can use in your own life to help handle stress, such as: getting adequate sleep and rest, fueling your body with nutritious food, managing your time well (say no when you need to), and checking in often with your support system. Get connected with more resources to keep yourself well here.
  • What is your advice for someone who is homesick?
    • Coming to college can be tough; students may experience homesickness. Some ways to manage homesickness include: talking to a counselor in CCS, scheduling regular phone/Facetime calls/exchanging letters with loved ones, and making some of your favorite recipes. 
  • Does Butler have a therapy dog on campus?
    • Butler is happy to have Scooter, Butler’s first and only therapy dog at this time. He always loves to meet new people across campus and offer support to those who need it. Learn more about Scooter here.
  • How do you go through depression or other hardship while you go through school?
    • BUBeWell has many resources listed on their website that support your well-being. Counseling and Consultation Services is also available to help you if you’d like professional support.
  • If you have a panic attack in class what do you do?
    • Grounding is a helpful exercise to alleviate symptoms of a panic attack that involves consciously noticing and listing things that you can see, hear, feel, and smell. This can help you remain present and combat intrusive thoughts. If you need to, feel free to leave the classroom for a break. Consider contacting CCS if you feel like you could benefit from professional care. The Counseling and Consultation Services are located at the HRC in room 120 and can be reached at (317)-940-9385.
  • Can anyone at Butler diagnose mental health issues if someone comes in for one?
    • Butler Counseling and Consultation Services contracts with a licensed psychiatrist that can consult for diagnoses and medications related to mental health conditions, such as mood disorders, anxiety, and ADHD. More information can be found here.
  • How can I get involved with the mental health organizations on campus?
    • Butler has a variety of student organizations you can connect with if you are passionate about mental health, such as Be The Voice. See all of our clubs and organizations here.
  • Are counseling services 24/7? If not, what are the hours?
    • Counseling services are not 24/7, the hours are listed here. If you are experiencing a crisis after hours, there are options and resources available to you here.
  • What if you have an urgent problem and can’t wait?
    • If you (or another individual) are in an immediate need for medical attention, contact 911 or Butler Police at (317)-940-BUPD. If the urgent problem does not require the police, there are several national resources to help. 
      • St. Vincent's Stress Center 24-hour line: 317-338-4800
      • Community North 24-hour line: 317-621-5700 or text HelpNow to 20121
      • National Suicide Hotline: 888-273-TALK (8255)
      • Local Crisis Hotline: 317-251-7575
    • Learn more about crisis services at Counseling and Consultation Services here.

General Health

  • Are there negative consequences for being sick on a school day? What do you do?
    • Most professors have excused absence policies. Be sure to check your course guidelines on the syllabi, and also be sure to email your professor. If you go to a medical facility for medication or treatment, ask for a doctor’s note for your classes.
  • How can I maintain a healthy lifestyle? 
    • BUBeWell has many wellness resources for students to access, including different local walking routes, web resources, and ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle here on campus.
  • What are some good options for eating healthy food on campus?
    • Butler Dining is dedicated to providing students with the freshest quality food with options for everyone, regardless of food allergies and accommodations. Check out their website for more information & daily menus across campus.
  • What are some strategies to get enough sleep with also staying on top of studying and extracurricular activities? How much sleep do I need?
    • Schedule sleep into your day just like anything else, create and follow a going-to-bed routine that you’ll do each night to signal to your body that it’s time to wind down, engage in calming activities such as reading, journaling, or meditating. Every body is different; generally anywhere from 6-9 hours is sufficient. Pay attention to how much sleep you need to feel rested and aim to get that much on most days. 
  • Where is Health Services and how do I make an appointment?
    • Butler Health Services is located in the HRC Room 110. For more information about Health Services and what they offer, visit their website here.
  • Is exercise outside of going to class important?
    • Taking care of both the mind and body is important, which includes being aware of nutrition, fitness, and overall health. It is recommended by the Mayo Clinic that adults should strive to complete 75-150 minutes of intentional exercise activity per week. Butler’s smaller campus aspect might encourage more students to visit any of the HRC’s exercise programs or utilize our gym to stay healthy and energized! Find out more about the fitness initiatives Butler offers, as well as a schedule for classes, here.
  • Are flu shots available on campus?
    • Butler typically offers free flu shot clinics on campus during the Fall semester. For more flu prevention information, visit Health Services' website.
  • Daily personal practices and habits for good mental health?
    • Being true to yourself and your needs is an important part in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Everyone is different, but some evidence-based practices for mental health include meditating, journaling, breathing exercises, and staying connected to your support system. For more well-being resources, check out BUBeWell.
  • Where can we find the HRC group fitness class schedule?
    • You can find more information about the HRC services and offerings here.

Indianapolis Experience

  • How do students deal with bad weather on campus?
    • We recommend packing an umbrella and many different types of clothes, such as boots, a raincoat, and a winter coat! During the winter and rainy spring months, students take extra precautions driving, as well as walking to class. We recommend allowing for extra time walking to and from class, and having warm thermal clothes. In bad weather, utilizing the tunnels between certain campus buildings can also be a way to stay dray and warm.
  • What are some fun activities to do in and around Indianapolis?
    • Indianapolis has events, programs, parks, restaurants, and much more that will suit virtually everyone. Visit Indy and Do 317 are great resources when you’re looking to get off-campus. Other local hot spots and attractions include Broad Ripple, the Indianapolis Zoo, Mass Ave, and the Monon Trail
  • What are some ways of transportation I can use to go to downtown Indianapolis or Broad Ripple?
    • With downtown Indianapolis and Broad Ripple just a few minutes away, Butler offers several options for getting off campus. Check them out here.

Financial Services

  • If I’m paying for college on my own, what is your advice to manage payments without taking out loans?
    • The Financial Aid office located in Robertson Hall has financial counsellors and experienced staff that can help you explore options available to help you. You can contact them by calling (317)-940-8200 or emailing
  • Where can we use Flex Dollars? What’s the difference between Dawg Bucks and Flex Dollars?
    • Flex Dollars and Dawg Bucks are different ways to pay for meals on campus. For a full explanation, including where you can use them, visit the Butler Dining website.