Study Abroad Programs
- Steps to Study Abroad
- Information Sessions
- Study Abroad Events
- Where Can I Go?
- Study Abroad Peer Advocates
- Bulldogs Abroad Blog
- How to Apply to Study Abroad
- Study Abroad Pre-Departure
- Currently Abroad
- Returning to Campus
- Study Abroad FAQs
- Students with Disabilities
- Information for Parents
- Becoming #BulldogsAbroad
Study Abroad Pre-Departure
We're so excited that you've decided to study abroad! Prior to leaving campus for your semester or summer abroad, there are a few things the Center for Global Education (CGE) needs.
Please note: due to COVID-19 our process has been altered. Please let the CGE know if you have any questions.
Apply/Register with the CGE
If you applied for one of our Butler Exchanges, semester-long Faculty-Led programs (i.e. GALA and Semester in Spain), or our short-term Faculty-Led Programs (i.e. Leadership London, Butler in Asia Summer Internship, etc.), then you have already been registered with the CGE via your application! Please continue working on your post-decision signature documents, materials, and questionnaires.
While you're working on your semester-long ISEP Exchange or 3rd Party Provider (IFSA, SIT, IES Abroad, etc.) application, you must also create an application in our online application system for the program into which you're applying; this must be completed by October 15 for the following spring semester and March 15 for the following fall semester. If you're applying to multiple programs, please only apply for your top-choice program (if your program changes, you can contact the CGE to have your application switched into whatever program you're going on).
While you're working on your summer 3rd Party Provider (IFSA, SIT, IES Abroad, etc.) application, you must also create an application for the 3rd Party Provider Summer Program; this must be completed by March 15 for the following summer. If you're applying to multiple programs, please list your top-choice program in the Non-List Program Questionnaire. (If your program changes, contact the CGE).
**Once you've been accepted in our system** All post-decision materials are due by November 10 for the following spring semester and April 10 for the following summer term/fall semester/academic year.
View our Application Instructions. Here are some important online application system links:
- Online Application System (Terra Dotta)
- Online Application System Program Search Function
- Step-By-Step Online Application Instructions (READ THIS!)
- Online Application System FAQs
The Center for Global Education (CGE) will have the blue pre-departure packets available for our students going on Exchanges and 3rd Party Provider programs at pre-departure orientation. You cannot pick up the packets earlier than this. The packet includes:
- Course Approval Form: You will research the courses offered on your program, find equivalencies here at Butler University, and have these courses approved by the department chairs that courses would fall under.
- Letter to Self Instructions
**Pre-departure packets are not available for our Summer 2021 or Fall 2021 students; students will complete pre-departure paperwork electronically.**
Attend Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
Each semester, the CGE hosts a MANDATORY pre-departure orientation (PDO) for students studying abroad for the following semester or summer. All students going for a summer or semester must attend this meeting. The CGE typically provides coffee and great discussions on how to stay safe abroad and prepare for one of the best semesters of your college career. PDO lasts for about 2 hours.
**There are NO makeup sessions and NO one-on-one appointments to go through PDO information.**
Due to COVID-19, we may have to switch to a virtual setting. Students registered in our online application system will receive updates about this.
- Submit your university's or 3rd Party Provider's required forms
- For students living in on-campus housing, you will register for the full year of on-campus housing via the lottery system and later complete an Intent to Vacate Notice for the Residence Life. This notice is NOT included in the pre-departure packet. You should contact the office of Residence Life so you are not charged housing fees during your semester abroad.
- Apply for or update your passport, if necessary (your passport must be valid for at least 6 months past the end of your program)
- Inform your parents or guardians of the procedure to get a passport so they have proper travel documents, if necessary
- Make travel arrangements (like flight to/from your host country, airport transportation, etc.), if necessary
- See if you need a visa to study abroad in your host country
- Register with the U.S. State Department via their Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
- Check out country-specific information on the U.S. Department of State's website and the Center for Disease Control's (CDC) website (make sure your immunizations are up to date for your study abroad location)
- Make sure you're covered by health insurance when you are abroad (some countries require a certain amount of coverage to get a visa)
- Talk with your parents or guardians about filling out a Power of Attorney before departure. This grants another person the legal authority or permission to make decisions about your affairs while you are abroad. If interested, you can google for the form and fill it out in front of a notary.
- If you need to store items in the Indianapolis area while you are overseas, renting space through storagesquad.com might be helpful.