- Prospective First Years
- Current Students
- Prospective Transfers
- Graduate Students
- The FAFSA
- Net Price Calculator
- Cost of Attendance
- Financial Aid Notification and Next Steps
- Financing Options
- Financial Literacy and Repayment
- Outside Scholarships and Resources
- Summer School Aid
- Meet Our Staff
- Consumer Information
- Financial Aid Handbook
- Aid FAQs
- Veterans Admission Information
- Emergency Assistance Fund
Outside Scholarships and Resources
Upon notification that you have been selected as a Lilly Endowment Community Scholar we ask that you notify the Office of Financial Aid or Admission.
Any tuition-specific scholarships and grants (Freshman Academic Scholarship, Butler Grant, Indiana state grants) that were previously awarded become honorary awards as the Lilly Scholarship pays for your tuition and fees.
Butler University does recognize your accomplishments and extends to you a $6000 Butler Room Award. The policy for this award is outlined below.
Butler Lilly Scholar Room Award Policy
You are eligible to receive the Butler Room Award for the four years you receive the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship or complete your degree, whichever is first, and reside in approved Butler University housing.
- This award is not available for off-campus housing.
- Any opportunities on campus for additional stipends (i.e. Resident Assistant) for similar charges already covered by the Butler Room Award will reduce or replace the amount of the Butler Room Award.
- The Office of Financial aid will confirm all housing arrangements with the office of Residence Life each year. Housing arrangements made after August 1st will not be eligible for a Butler Room Award.
- You must notify the Office of Financial Aid if you change your housing status during any academic term.
According to federal regulations, scholarships received from any organization are considered to be a resource available to meet your financial aid eligibility.
As a financial aid recipient, a student must report all outside scholarships from sources other than federal, state and university programs.
- Adjustments in aid will occur if a student is receiving need-based assistance and the combination of all assistance (including outside scholarships) exceeds the financial aid eligibility. In addition, a reduction of Butler gift assistance may occur if the total of all tuition specific awards exceeds the cost of tuition or if the value of all awards (including the outside scholarships) exceeds the total cost of attendance.
- Students are responsible for following through with the scholarship donor to make sure the funds are sent directly to the Office of Financial Aid in a timely manner (July 1 for fall enrollment and December 1 for spring enrollment).
- Checks must be properly endorsed to ensure the appropriate credit to the student's account.
- Scholarships in the amount of $500 or more will be split evenly between the fall and spring semesters.
- Students may report their outside scholarships online at My.Butler (Self Service Student Homepage > Student Center > Finances > Financial Aid > Report Other Financial Aid) or by providing a copy of the award letter directly to the Office of Financial Aid.
The Office of Student Accounts does NOT consider outside scholarship funds as a credit to the account until the funds have been received and processed by the Office of Financial Aid.
The Tuition Exchange is a reciprocal scholarship program for children of faculty and staff employed at over 600 participating institutions. General information regarding the exchange and a list of participating institutions can be found here.
Students whose parent(s) work for an institution that is a member of the Tuition Exchange may apply for a Tuition Exchange Award.
Consideration for Tuition Exchange
To be considered for a Tuition Exchange Award, applicants:
- Must be accepted for admission to Butler University and pursuing their first undergraduate degree.
- Receive maximum consideration by completing their admission application by November 1 (Early Action).
- Limited consideration may be available for students admitted Regular Decision.
- Are selected by Butler University to receive a Tuition Exchange Award. The University is limited in the number of awards we grant each year.
- Must be approved as an export from your parent's employing institution.
- Must submit a Tuition Exchange application to the Office of Financial Aid and be admitted to the University by January 1 of the application year to be considered for a Tuition Exchange Award.
Selection for Tuition Exchange
Tuition Exchange applications will be reviewed by the Tuition Exchange Committee and selection will be made based on the student's academic strength in combination with the enrollment goals of the University and the availability of Tuition Exchange Award positions at Butler for that academic year.
Selected students will be notified of their eligibility to participate in the Tuition Exchange Program for the upcoming academic year on or about February 1. An acceptance form will be sent to the student. This form must be signed and returned to the Office of Financial Aid before the award will be credited to the student's account. A Tuition Exchange fee will be charged to the student's account each year the student participates in the Tuition Exchange Program.
Limits of the Tuition Exchange Award
Eligibility extends to the first 8 semesters (4 years) of all eligible undergraduate academic programs with the exception of the Engineering Dual Degree Program which is limited to the first 4 semesters (2 years) of the undergraduate program. Students who will participate in programs that exceed 4 years may seek need-based assistance for those additional years of attendance.
Annual Tuition Exchange renewal requires continued export eligibility by your parent's employing institution by January 1 of each year.
Students must maintain good standing with the University and maintain satisfactory academic progress toward their degrees as specified for their major in the Butler University Bulletin.
The Tuition Exchange Award is available for full-time undergraduate enrollment (12 to 20 credit hours per semester) for the academic year only at Butler University and select Study Abroad programs. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid and the Center for Global Education for further information regarding Study Abroad programs available with Tuition Exchange. Tuition Exchange is not available for summer enrollment, or less than full-time enrollment.
Tuition Exchange Awards must be coordinated with all other assistance the student receives. Tuition Exchange supersedes other awards given by Butler University. Merit awards from Butler University will be retained in name only if the student receives Tuition Exchange.
Awards you receive from programs outside the university will affect the amount of your award. These programs include Indiana State Grants and tuition-specific scholarships from any other source. Federal Pell Grant awards may be applied to tuition costs as well.
Information about Yellow Ribbon and Chapter 33, along with more resources for veterans, can be found here.