- Prospective First Years
- Current Students
- Prospective Transfers
- Graduate Students
- International Students
- The FAFSA
- Net Price Calculator
- Cost of Attendance
- Student Financial Planning Tool
- Financial Aid Notification and Next Steps
- Financing Options
- Financial Literacy and Repayment
- Outside Scholarships and Resources
- Summer School Aid
- Meet Our Staff
- Consumer Information
- Financial Aid Handbook
- Aid FAQs
- Veterans Admission Information
- Emergency Assistance Fund
- CARES Act Emergency Grant
We encourage all families to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov by December 1, our recommended FAFSA filing date. The Butler FAFSA deadline is March 1. The federal formula takes into account several factors, and many families mistakenly self-select themselves out of the financial aid process and miss the opportunity to explore all aid programs available. List our school code on your FAFSA: 001788.
The FSA ID must be created to access the Federal Student Aid’s online system and electronically sign the FAFSA.
- Create a New FSA ID (username and password).
- One parent of a dependent student is required to the sign the FAFSA using the FSA ID. The student and parent must have unique email addresses when creating a new FSA ID.
Submit the FAFSA online at fafsa.gov by the March 1 priority deadline for each academic year.
- Gather identification documents (social security cards, driver's licenses) for both the student and parents.
- List Butler University (school code 001788) as a school selection on the FAFSA.
- For students entering fall 2021, complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA using your 2019 tax information. The recommended method is to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to link your tax information to the FAFSA. The application and tool are available beginning October 1, 2020.
- Please note the 2019 income and tax fields will not show when transferred from the IRS using the Data Retrieval Tool. Rest assured, the correct information will be received by us.
- If the 2019 federal tax return cannot be completed prior to October 15 for tax extension filers, please complete with your best estimates.
- Print off the confirmation page and retain for your records.
For additional information on filing the FAFSA watch the following video courtesy of UC Santa Barbara.
- Submit the FAFSA online by March 1 each year to receive priority consideration of all aid programs.
- New incoming students for Fall 2021 may submit the 2021-2022 FAFSA by December 1 in order to receive a financial aid notification starting late February.
- For Indiana residents, the FAFSA must be received by the Federal Processing Center on or before April 15 and be error-free by May 15 each year in order to be considered for Indiana state grant programs.
- Use the student's name as it appears on the social security card. Double check the social security number.
- Male students must register with the Selective Service to be eligible for aid. This can be done through the FAFSA by checking "Register me."
- Report the value of assets as of the day you complete the FAFSA.
- Send a separate letter or email to the Office of Financial Aid if you have special circumstances not reflected on the FAFSA.
- The FAFSA must be completed each year.
2021-2022 Verification Instructions
- Log into my.butler.edu.
- Select Student Financial Planning under Academic Tools.
- Review any red numbered notification badges in the navigation header.
- Also, click on the HOME link in the header and carefully review all Pending items in red.
Grant Parent Access*
For the Verification Worksheet Dependent, the student and a parent on the FAFSA are required to electronically sign the worksheet.
- Click on the small triangle to the far top right in the header.
- Select Profile.
- Under Manage Proxy Access, click on the person + image.
- Enter your parent's email. Please note: It is case sensitive, so we recommend using all lower case letters.
- Click on the save icon to the right.
For parent access to Student Financial Planning:
- Navigate to sfp-parent.butler.edu.
- Login using:
- Username: Parent email the student enabled
- Password: Student's Butler ID Number (first nine digits on the student ID)
- The parent will be prompted to create a new password upon logging in.
*Independent students who do not report parent information on the FAFSA may skip this step.
** Current students who may have to complete verification again this year, will not have to set up new parent access again.
Complete the Verification Worksheet
The student or parent with access may complete these steps.
- Click on the DOCUMENTS link in the header.
- Select the upload icon to the right of the Verification Worksheet.
- Review and complete all fillable fields and answer all questions.
- Be sure to add a row for each person in your household. This includes parents and siblings. The number of rows should match the number in the household populated on the Verification Worksheet from the FAFSA.
- Enter the Student ID and Student Last Name/Parent Last Name at the bottom of the form.
- Click I Accept.
- Select Sign & Finish.
Since a signature is required for both the student and parent, the opposite party not completing the form will also have to log in to Sign & Finish the worksheet before successfully submitting.
If you have documents that need to be uploaded (such as tax forms), please follow these steps:
- Click on the DOCUMENTS link in the header.
- Select the upload icon to the right of each listed item.
- Click Choose a File at the top right and select your document.
- Review and complete any fillable fields
- Click on the icon located under the Upload header at the top.
Successfully uploaded documents will show in the Document History under DOCUMENTS as Received. The status will change to Acceptable once approved or Unacceptable if rejected. The status will change to Acceptable once approved or Unacceptable if it did not meet the document requirements. Check back regularly to monitor your progress.
Students will need to check the navigation bar in the Student Financial Planning for any additional requests, if needed. Upon receipt of all the required documents, review will begin. Once the verification has been completed the Office of Financial Aid will send you a Financial Aid Notification. In addition you can monitor the status of your financial aid by logging into my.butler.edu > Academic Tools > Student Financial Planning.