- Prospective First Years
- Current Students
- Prospective Transfers
- Graduate Students
- The FAFSA
- Net Price Calculator
- Cost of Attendance
- Financial Aid Notification and Next Steps
- Financing Options
- Financial Literacy and Repayment
- Outside Scholarships and Resources
- Summer School Aid
- Meet Our Staff
- Consumer Information
- Financial Aid Handbook
- Aid FAQs
- Veterans Admission Information
- Emergency Assistance Fund
We encourage all families to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov by December 1, our recommended FAFSA filing date. The Butler FAFSA deadline is March 1. The federal formula takes into account several factors, and many families mistakenly self-select themselves out of the financial aid process and miss the opportunity to explore all aid programs available. List our school code on your FAFSA: 001788.
The FSA ID must be created to access the Federal Student Aid’s online system and electronically sign the FAFSA.
- Create a New FSA ID (username and password) here.
- One parent of a dependent student is required to the sign the FAFSA using the FSA ID. The student and parent must have unique email addresses when creating a new FSA ID.
Submit the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov by the March 1 priority deadline for each academic year.
- Gather identification documents (social security cards, driver's licenses) for both the student and parents.
- List Butler University (school code 001788) as a school selection on the FAFSA.
- For students entering fall 2019, complete the 2019–2020 FAFSA using your 2017 tax information. The recommended method is to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to link your tax information to the FAFSA. The application and tool are available beginning October 1, 2018.
- Please note the 2017 income and tax fields will not show when transferred from the IRS using the Data Retrieval Tool. Please rest assured, the correct information will be received by us.
- If the 2017 federal tax return cannot be completed prior to October 15th for tax extension filers, please complete with your best estimates.
- Print off the confirmation page and retain for your records.
For additional information on filing the 2019–2020 FAFSA watch the following video courtesy of UC Santa Barbara.
- Submit the FAFSA online by March 1 each year to receive priority consideration of all aid programs.
- New incoming students for Fall 2019 may submit the 2019–2020 FAFSA by December 1 in order to receive a financial aid notification starting early February.
- For Indiana residents, the FAFSA must be received by the Federal Processing Center on or before April 15 and be error-free by May 15 each year in order to be considered for Indiana state grant programs.
- Use the student's name as it appears on the social security card. Double check the social security number.
- Male students must register with the Selective Service to be eligible for aid. This can be done through the FAFSA by checking "Register me."
- Report the value of assets as of the day you complete the FAFSA.
- Send a separate letter or email to the Office of Financial Aid if you have special circumstances not reflected on the FAFSA.
- The FAFSA must be completed each year.
The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects some FAFSAs for verification to ensure accuracy in completing the financial aid application.
If you were selected for verification, please follow the instructions below:
Please email your scanned documents to the Office of Financial Aid at email@example.com. An official offer of financial aid cannot be made until all required documents are submitted to the Butler University Office of Financial Aid.