We encourage all families to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov between January 1 and March 1. The federal formula takes into account several factors, and many families mistakenly self-select themselves out of the financial aid process and miss the opportunity to explore all aid programs available.
List our school code on your FAFSA: 001788
The FSA ID must be created to access the Federal Student Aid’s online system and sign the FAFSA electronically.
- Effective May 10, 2015 the FSA ID replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN
- Create a New FSA ID (username and password) here. Having the previously used PIN will allow you to immediately use the newly created FSA ID.
- One parent of a dependent student is required to the sign the FAFSA using the FSA ID. The student and parent must have unique email addresses when creating a new FSA ID.
Submit the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov between January 1 to March 1 for each academic year.
- Gather identification documents (social security cards, driver's licenses) for both the student and parents.
- List Butler University (school code 001788) as a school selection on the FAFSA.
- For students attending Fall 2016, complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA using your 2015 W2s and federal tax returns for the student and parents.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, if eligible (two weeks have passed since your electronic IRS filing).
- If federal taxes cannot be completed prior to March 1, please complete with your best estimates.
- Print off the confirmation page and retain for your records.
- Submit the FAFSA online between January 1 and March 1 each year to receive priority consideration of all aid programs.
- For Indiana residents, the FAFSA must be received by the Federal Processing Center on or before March 10 and be error-free by May 15 each year in order to be considered for Indiana state grant programs.
- Use the student's name as it appears on the social security card. Double check the social security number.
- Male students must register with the Selective Service to be eligible for aid. This can be done through the FAFSA by checking Register me.
- Report the value of assets as of the day you complete the FAFSA.
- Send a separate letter or email to the Office of Financial Aid if you have special circumstances not reflected on the FAFSA.
- The FAFSA must be completed each year.
The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects some FAFSAs for verification to ensure accuracy in completing the financial aid application.
If you were selected for verification, please follow the instructions below:
If you were selected for verification and filed a tax extension for 2014, please follow:
For guidance on completing the IRS Data Retrieval tool, as mentioned in the verification instructions above, please view the video below created by our financial aid friends at UC Santa Barbara, University of California.
- If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool, you may request your transcript from the IRS online.
- An official offer of financial aid cannot be made until all required documents are submitted to the Butler University Office of Financial Aid.
If requested by the Office of Financial Aid, please complete the Other Income Worksheet below:
Please email your scanned documents to the Office of Financial at email@example.com. An official offer of financial aid cannot be made until all required documents are submitted to the Butler University Office of Financial Aid.