Kenzie Academy Career-Track Technical Education Programs
Kenzie Academy and Butler Executive Education are joining forces to offer industry-recognized technical certificates for adult learners in the following areas:
- Front-End Web Development Certificate
- Back-End Web Development Certificate
- Software Engineering Certificate
About Kenzie Academy
Kenzie Academy is an Indianapolis tech apprenticeship program that develops modern tech workers. Kenzie programs combine training in the latest tech skills, paid work experience, and mentorship from industry experts.
|Front-End Web Development||6 months||$13,500|
|Back-End Web Development||6 months||$13,500|
|Software Engineering||2 years (24 months)||$24,000**|
**Kenzie pays student tuition in year 2, giving students a $48,000 total value for only $24,000. Student is also paid for apprenticeship work in year 2.
In this course, students gain hands-on experience deploying interactive web sites for desktop and mobile web browsers using the latest web technologies and frameworks. Students also learn all coding and web development best practices, including team collaboration skills.
Technical topics include:
- Basic development tools and workflow including both IDEs and command line.
- Source control with git
- Responsive design
- Introduction to basic image manipulation and editing (e.g. in Gimp) to prepare images for the web
- Unit testing
- Communicating effectively about code in the context of code review and pair programming
- Connecting to remote machines via SSH to deploy code and conduct basic administrative/ops tasks
- Using preprocessors like LESS and SASS
- Organizing code within larger projects
- Branching and merging code changes using git
- Collaborating on a group project with multiple developers
- Using object-oriented techniques to organize code and data
- Defensive coding and error handling
- Introduction to node.js and express
- Introduction to persistent storage using MongoDB
- Relational databases and SQL
- Using the React library
Through the program, students create a portfolio of individual and team projects that can be shown to future, potential employers. Students also learn to communicate effectively in an interview and professional setting.
Graduates of this program have the skills to be versatile, Back-End Web Developers. Back-End Web Developers develop the logic and database layers of a website or web application, and the connectivity that enables the front-end and back-end to communicate together.
Students learn to develop production ready end-to-end web applications. Students will learn to scale back-end applications, consider performance of the application, and understand security best practices to reduce an application’s vulnerability to hacking.
The program covers Back-End topics including:
- Flask microframework
- Shell scripting to automate builds and deployment
- Introduction to virtual machines and/or containers
- Data modeling best practices
- Advanced use of relational databases and SQL
- Django framework
- Empirical performance measurement
- Introduction to algorithmic complexity
- Introduction to application security
- Server side image processing (e.g. recompression and thumbnailing of user-uploaded images)
- Logging and analytics
- Load balancing across multiple application servers
- Sharding of databases
Graduates of this program will have a comprehensive education in software engineering, an established track record of work experience consulting for remote teams, and the skills needed to work as a Software Engineer.
The Software Engineer track is designed to train our students to become skilled coders, while also equipping them with core computer science concepts, critical for advancement towards senior roles. The foundation of our curriculum includes learning the necessary coding skills as well as a sufficient understanding of how computers and systems work in order to architect, build, and maintain complex applications.
Students learn core computer science concepts and enterprise programming languages such as Java or C#.
Students spend the first 6 months completing the Kenzie Academy Front-End Web Developer curriculum. Students spend the second six months completing the Kenzie Academy Back-End Web Developer curriculum.
In year 2, students participate full-time in the Kenzie Apprenticeship Program, while continuing to learn the following skills in a self-paced program.
Technical topics include:
- Advanced algorithms and data structures
- Computer architecture
- Memory hierarchy and its performance implications
- Operating systems
- Design patterns
- Object Relational Mapping
- Enterprise systems and architecture