Applying and Auditioning to the Butler Dance Program
COVID-19 Update: We are currently evaluating our application and audition process due to COVID-19. Any changes to our current process will be communicated on this webpage no later than August 1, 2020.
Information about the application and audition process for Butler’s Department of Dance can be found below.
Questions? Contact the JCA Admission office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-9656.
When applying to the Jordan College of the Arts as an incoming first year applicant, students are required to follow the standard application process outlined on the Office of Admission website.
Additionally, Dance students are required to submit:
- A Dance-specific Supplemental application
- A full length dance photo. Women in black leotard, pink or skin-tone tights—first position arabesque en pointe, Men in white fitted shirts and black tights—attitude derriere relevé
- An audition video - you will be replicating a regular Butler audition class. A link to the class video will be included in the Supplemental application.
Information on these additional requirements is emailed to prospective students after the Butler application or Common App is submitted.
November 1: Early Action Deadline (audition videos and all other application materials must be submitted by this date)
February 1: Regular Decision Deadline
2020–2021 Audition Process
In order to maintain a safe environment for our current and prospective students, all auditions for Fall 2021 admission will be via video. The Butler Dance faculty have created an audition class video that applicants will be asked to perform as their audition.
- The link to the audition class video is in the Dance Supplemental application. Applicants receive access to the Supplemental application after their academic application has been submitted.
- Applicants will include the link to their audition video as part of their Dance Supplemental application.
- Videos will be evaluated for admission in the order in which the video link is received. Dance Department admission decisions will be released at the begining and middle of each month beginning in October. Dance audition videos must be received at least 7 days prior to an admission decision being released.
Please contact JCAadmissions@butler.edu with any questions.
Financial assistance may come from several different sources. Butler offers two types of scholarships that are awarded as part of the application and audition process.
- Academic scholarships are offered to student who demonstrate a strong record of academic excellence in high school.
- Jordan College of the Arts Awards may be awarded to students who display promise in the performing arts.
Jordan College of the Arts Awards for dance
All auditions received by February 19, 2021 are considered for a Jordan College of the Arts Awards. JCA Awards for dance are recommended and determined by the dance faculty and are based on the applicant's performance during the audition process. It is important to dress appropriately for an audition and dance your very best during the audition class. The dance faculty considers your presentation of technique, approach to the audition materials, aptitude and potential. Apply and audition early for best opportunity.
Butler also offers additional types of scholarships that require a separate application and interview. We also accept scholarships from outside sources. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid website to learn more about financial aid options and other scholarship opportunities for incoming students.