Applying and Auditioning to the Butler Dance Program
COVID-19 Update: We are currently evaluating our application and audition process due to COVID-19. Any changes to our current process will be communicated on this webpage no later than August 1, 2020.
Information about the application and audition process for Butler’s Department of Dance can be found below.
Questions? Contact the JCA Admission office at email@example.com or 317-940-9656.
When applying to the Jordan College of the Arts , students are required to follow the standard application process outlined on the Office of Admission website. Please note that students must choose "Dance" as their primary major on their academic application in order to receive the supplemental Dance application and information.
Additionally, Dance students are required to submit:
- A Dance-specific Supplemental application including:
- A full length dance photo. Women in black leotard, pink or skin-tone tights—first position arabesque en pointe, Men in white fitted shirts and black tights—attitude derriere relevé
- Additional requirements for the Fall 2022 application are still being finalized - more info coming soon!
- Selection of an audition date. Applicants will receive an email with instruction on how to register for an audition date when the dance supplemental application is submitted. Please note that the Butler application for Admission cannot be considered complete until an audition date has been selected.
Information on these additional requirements is emailed to prospective students after the Butler application or Common App is submitted.
- November 1: Early Action Deadline (audition video and all other application materials must be submitted by this date to be considered as an Early Action applicant)
- February 1: Regular Decision Deadline (audition video and all other application materials must be submitted by this date to be considered as a Regular Decision applicant)
2021–2022 Audition Process
We are excited to welcome you back to campus for in-person auditions for Fall 2022 admission! We have planned events all throughout the day to give you a good sense of life as a Butler Dance major. Audition day dates for Fall 2022 admission are:
- October 22, 2021
- October 29, 2021
- November 5, 2021
- November 12, 2021
- January 21, 2022
- February 4, 2022
- February 11, 2022
- Febriaru 18, 2022
- Dates and details about possible regional auditions - TBD
Please contact JCAadmissions@butler.edu with any questions.
Financial assistance may come from several different sources. Butler offers two types of scholarships that are awarded as part of the application and audition process.
- Academic scholarships are offered to student who demonstrate a strong record of academic excellence in high school.
- Jordan College of the Arts Awards may be awarded to students who display promise in the performing arts.
Jordan College of the Arts Awards for dance
All auditions completed by February 18, 2022 are considered for a Jordan College of the Arts Awards. JCA Awards for dance are recommended and determined by the dance faculty and are based on the applicant's performance during the audition process. It is important to dress appropriately for an audition and dance your very best during the audition class. The dance faculty considers your presentation of technique, approach to the audition materials, aptitude and potential. Apply and audition early for best opportunity.
Butler also offers additional types of scholarships that require a separate application and interview. We also accept scholarships from outside sources. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid website to learn more about financial aid options and other scholarship opportunities for incoming students.