Counseling and Consultation Services
Recommended Steps to Take After Forced or Unwanted Sexual Contact
- Go to a safe place as soon as possible.
- Avoid the following activities in an effort to preserve physical evidence: showering, brushing teeth, eating or changing clothing. If clothing is changed, put all clothing worn at the time of the incident into a paper bag.
- For support, contact a BU Victim Advocate (317-910-5572), the Julian Center Crisis Line* (317-920-9320) or BU Counseling & Consultation Services* (317-940-9385).
- To report, contact the University police department (317-940-2873) or Title IX Coordinator (317-940-6509).
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible to assess for injury and treat for exposure to infections. Immediate and confidential medical attention for survivors of sexual assault is available at no cost at area hospitals within their Centers of Hope*. The hospitals closest to Butler with a 24-hour Center of Hope are Methodist and St. Vincent. With a survivor's consent, a specially trained nurse will conduct an exam and collect evidence.
- Seek counseling when the time is right. Butler's Counseling & Consultation Services* and community agencies including Legacy House*, Prevail*, and the Julian Center* all offer free & confidential counseling services.
- Access routine testing for potential exposure to sexually transmitted infections. Consult with a Victim Advocate about free testing on campus or in the local community.
*Denotes a confidential resource.