Skip to main content


Please check this page often.

FAQs are being updated frequently throughout the day.

Para ver esta pagina en espanol, véala en el traductor de Google

Spring 2020 Alternative Grading Policy FAQs

Q: What is the new alternative grading policy?              
A: You can read the full policy here. Please read it carefully. Under this policy, the choice to use the alternative grading model and the responsibility for doing so, resides with each student. This policy only applies to undergraduate courses that were not completed before spring break and only to undergraduate students taking undergraduate courses in the spring 2020 semester.   


Q: Why do we have an alternative grading option for the spring 2020 semester? 
A: The faculty and administration created this policy in response to the extraordinary circumstances of the Spring 2020 semester. This policy is designed to allow students to make decisions about final grades that meet their own goals while still aligning with academic standards. Under this policy, students have control over the form of their final grades for the spring semester. Students may elect to receive a letter grade or employ the alternative system for each of their undergraduate courses. The choice to request the alternative grades and the responsibility for doing so, resides with each student.  


Q: Does this mean all undergraduate courses are either “S”, “P”, or “F”?    
A: No. If a student decides to take no action regarding one or more courses, those courses will receive a letter grade just like every other semester.  The default action is that courses are graded as they normally would have been. The decision to receive a letter grade or use the alternative system rests with each undergraduate student for each of their courses. Only courses that the student designates will be assigned S or P. 


Q: Which letter grades will count for an “S”?            
A: Under the alternative grading option, any course in which a student earned a final course grade of “C-" or higher will be noted as “S” on the transcript. 


Q: Which letter grades will count for a “P”?        
A: Under the alternative grading option, any course in which a student earned a final course grade of “D-, D, or D+" will be noted as “P” on the transcript.


Q: What happens to my GPA if I opt for the alternative grading system? 
A: Any course noted as “S” or “P” will not be included in the student’s GPA calculation. 


Q: Will “S” or “P” courses satisfy major, minor, and graduation requirements?  
A: Courses noted as “S” will satisfy graduation requirements, including major and minor requirements and Core Curriculum requirements.  Courses noted as P may satisfy any requirement that only requires a D- or better.  If a student has to earn a C- or better in a course to fulfill a requirement (e.g., major, minor, prerequisite, language-proficiency, or other requirement), then a P will not satisfy that requirement. 


Q: What happens if I end up taking an Incomplete (I) for a course in spring semester?
A: Students who receive an Incomplete (I) will take the same steps to remove the I as in any other semester ( After they remove the I, the instructor will enter the new final course grade.  If the course is eligible for A-F grading, and the student wants to request the Alternative Grading option, they must contact Registration and Records and request that option within 5 business days after the final course grade is entered. If the course could only be taken P/F, then that grade will stand.


Q: What happens if I am retaking a course I took earlier to try and get a better grade the second time around?
A: If you are currently retaking a course you have previously taken, you are eligible for the alternative grading option.  An earned grade of S or P will not be included in the computation of your GPA, and the grade from the original time you took the course will also not be included in your GPA. Both grades will show on your official transcript.


Q: In a future semester can I retake a course for which I have elected an alternative grade and replace that grade with a letter grade? 
A: Yes


Q: How should I decide whether to opt for alternative grading?        
A: The alternative grading option was created to encourage students to do the best academic work possible in all of their classes, while also recognizing that this semester poses unique challenges to students.  Students who are pleased with their academic performance will be able to benefit from strong letter grades appearing on the transcript and being included in the computation of the GPA. Students who believe their academic performance is lower than what it would have otherwise been if we had not moved to online education for the second half of the semester will have options to record credit for a given course without having the letter grade appear on their transcript or be included in the computation of the GPA.  Students who earn a C- or better in a given course who choose an alternative grading option (S) will be able to use that course to satisfy academic requirements but not have the letter grade show up on the transcript or affect their GPA. A student who earns a D-, D, or D+ in a given course, and chooses the Alternative Grading option (P), will be able to use that course to satisfy any curricular requirement where a D- or better would satisfy that requirement. However, if a student has to earn a C- or better in a course to fulfill a major, minor, prerequisite, language-proficiency, or other requirement, then a P will not satisfy that requirement.  

Again, this policy encourages students to do their best and benefit from strong grades, while providing a “safety net” if the second half of the semester proves unusually challenging. 

Although we have provided this alternative grading option for students, you will want to think very carefully before you select it for any or all of your courses.  There may be reasons when choosing the alternative grading option may not be in your best interest. For example, some graduate or professional schools require letter grades in particular courses and may not consider admitting students who do not have certain grades in required prerequisite courses. Pre-health students, in particular, should pay special attention to the requirements of the post-baccalaureate programs they are considering and strongly consider choosing letter grades as this will likely impact future choices of where you can apply to professional or graduate programs. Also, there are situations in which a student’s GPA impacts their standing with the university (academic probation) or their ability to retain scholarships for athletic eligibility linked to GPA. Students in these and other similar situations should carefully consider the implications of opting for the alternative grading option.  

A few weeks before the end of spring term would be a good time to think about if you might want to use the alternative grading system. Students can consult with academic or other advisers and perhaps also with the faculty member teaching each course to get their advice about the implications of opting for alternative grading in a course. Ultimately, each individual student is responsible for making informed decisions about whether or not to opt for the alternative grading option.                    


Q: When and how would I designate alternative grading for a course?    
A: After you see your final course grades on May 7, you have the option to elect the alternative grading option. You will have until Friday, May 15 at 5 pm EDT to opt for alternative grades for any or all of your Spring 2020 courses. Registration and Records will send all students an email by 5 pm EDT on May 7 with instructions for selecting the alternative grading option for any or all courses taken during Spring 2020. 


Q: What happens if I don't request alternative grades for a course?    
A: If you do not request a course as an S or P by the deadline, or if you fail the course, you will receive a letter grade in that course as happens in typical semesters. You will not be able to retroactively request an alternative grade.


Q: What are the implications of this policy for Dean’s List? 
A: Your GPA for the semester will be determined based only on courses where letter grades are provided. To be considered for the Dean’s list, you must have earned at least 12 hours of A-F graded coursework. If you have fewer than 12 hours of A-F graded coursework, you will not be eligible for Dean’s List consideration.         


Q: What are the implications of this policy for my scholarship or financial aid? 
A: This policy may not have implications for most students receiving financial aid, as long as you remain in good academic standing. Grades of “S” or “P” will be included as completion of attempted hours in the quantitative progress component of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). As grades of “S” or “P” are not included in GPA they will not impact the calculation of the qualitative progress measure of SAP. Please visit the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy to see the policy in full. As some scholarships have a GPA requirement the Office of Financial Aid will work with individual students whose eligibility is impacted. Under this policy, students are responsible for understanding the implications of requesting the alternative grading option so please check with Financial Aid if you have questions.          

Online Learning—Students


Q: Will the extended spring break days be made up later?
A: We canceled all classes March 16, 17, and 18. These are “lost” days that will not be made up elsewhere in the semester. The Undergraduate Research Conference that was scheduled to occur on Friday, April 17 has been canceled. Faculty whose classes occur on Fridays can choose to use this day, and if they do, should communicate expectations with students.


Q: Is there a policy for online course expectations?
A: Well before this public health crisis and shift to fully online education, Butler has had a policy regarding expectations for online courses. Each 3-credit hour course should have 2.5 hours of active engagement per week (e.g. recorded or synchronous lectures, synchronous or asynchronous discussions, and other substantive engagement) and 5 hours of homework, for a total of 7.5 hours of student engagement per week. 


Q: How should I access textbooks and other materials I left on campus?
A: As part of the transition to the online classroom, faculty will prioritize which assignments to move to the online environment. If the textbook is available electronically, they will select the relevant chapters or portions to link from your course’s Canvas page. If the textbook is not available in electronic format, the faculty member will scan the relevant portions into pdf documents and upload them to Canvas under the fair use law, which provides a copyright exception for educational purposes. 


Q: How can I access a digital copy of my textbook?
A: We realize that some of you may not have been able to retrieve your physical copies of readings and other course materials. Faculty are working closely with librarians and other staff on campus to get as many materials as possible posted onto Canvas. In addition, Follett (the company that runs the Butler Bookstore) is partnering with RedShelf, to provide free access to their digital library to students. This does not include all titles used on campus, but should help many of our students. To see if any of your books are available in electronic format for free for the rest of the semester, follow the directions below, using your email to gain access:

  1. Access
  2. Click on the plus sign in the upper right-hand corner on the top banner which contains information regarding free eTextbook options and free shipping.
  3. Click on the link labeled
  4. Students can search for ebooks by title or ISBN (ISBNs can be found under your class information on


Q: How can I return my spring rental books?
A: The rental check-in due date for spring classes is May 5, 2020. Emails will be sent to students who have rental books for spring semester with a link for a free shipping label. These labels are available to print until midnight on May 5. A grace period has been added between the due date and the date non-return charges are assessed to accommodate shipping time for materials in transit.


Q: When will I hear from my instructors?
A: If you are currently in a face-to-face class, you should be contacted by the instructors of each of your classes by the end of the workday on Wednesday, March 18, 2020.


Q: How will the time zone difference be handled?
A:  Check with your instructor about scheduled class meetings. Any real-time course activities will occur at the scheduled time in Indianapolis (Eastern Standard Time). If you are not in the same time zone, you may need to adjust accordingly.


Q: What is a typical online course like? And how will I interact with classmates and instructors?
A: In a typical course, students get a series of weekly lessons that include components such as carefully selected readings, video lectures by the instructor, discussion points, and assignments. Using online discussion boards and optional video meetings, students receive feedback from the instructor, as well as have substantive discussion with their peers about the materials and themes of the course.


Q: What kind of time commitment is required?
A: On average, each course requires at least 7.5 hours a week. This includes weekly readings, completing assignments, watching video lectures, and participating in online class discussions.  


Q: How will Butler maintain academic standards with the move to online instruction?
A: Butler University is committed to delivering high-quality education regardless of modality to our students. All faculty are committed to their students’ academic success. 


Q:  What do I do if I have other questions about academics?
A:  If your question is about a specific course, contact the instructor of that course. If your question is about an academic requirement, or about experiential learning (internships, rotations, student teaching, etc.), contact your college dean’s office. For all other academic questions, contact


Q: How will advising appointments be conducted?
A: Advisors will communicate with advisees by the end of the workday on Friday, March 20 regarding the approach to expect for advising. If you do not hear from a professor or your advisor by the deadline, please contact your Dean’s office.


Q: How will office hours and advising be accommodated in an online environment?
A: Faculty will announce to students when and how (e.g., email, call-in, webchat, Zoom, etc.) they are holding office hours. 


Q: Will New Student Registration be held on campus?
A: We are preparing to deliver all New Student Registration days virtually.



Q: How often should I log into Canvas and check my Butler email?
A: You should check Butler email and Canvas frequently—several times every day. Your instructors and fellow students will use those platforms to communicate with you.


Q: What do I do if I don’t have adequate technology access to participate in my online classes?
A: If you are looking for advice on where you may obtain the necessary technology or what to get, check out our student computer recommendations page. For answers to common questions and computer issues go to From there, you can also request assistance via an online case. If you are concerned about your Internet connection, we encourage you to contact your Internet service provider.


Q: How can I learn to use Butler’s remote learning technology?
A: In delivering their courses online, your instructors will rely heavily on Canvas and may also use Zoom web conferencing (for real-time class sessions/discussions) and Panopto (for pre-recorded video content and possibly some student assignments). We recommend the following student-focused resources to make sure you are up to speed with these technologies:

Q: Who should I contact if I have technical problems or questions?
A: Students should use the following support options for technical issues:


Q: What if I don't have internet access at home?
A: If you currently do not have internet access, there is no one solution that is going to work for everyone. However, below we have outlined some of the more common solutions. This link will allow you to search for solutions in your zip code.  

  • Internet-Satellite vs DSL vs Cable vs Fiber–depending on your location there are a number of internet providers that may provide broadband via different mediums. Below are typical speeds for each medium, rank-ordered from least optimal to most optimal: 
    • Satellite–up to 25 Mbps, often limited to 50GB or less of downloads per month, can be negatively impacted by poor weather; this may be the only option in many rural areas.
    • DSL–up to 100 Mbps, often limited to 1TB or less of downloads per month, speed is determined by your distance to the nearest phone company office, generally reliable and typically unaffected by neighbor activity.
    • Cable–up to 1000 Mbps, often limited to 1TB or less of downloads per month, service is shared with your neighbors and can slow down when multiple people in your area are using it at the same time, generally reliable.  If you have cable TV, reach out to your provider to see what internet access they have available.  
    • Fiber–1000+ Mbps, often limited to 1TB or less of downloads per month, this is the best option by providing the fastest speeds, very reliable. 
  • Personal hotspot–a hotspot is a device that uses a cellular connection to create a personal wifi access point. There is usually a limit on monthly downloads before additional charges and/or drastic reduction in hotspot speed. There are a couple of options: 
    • Your cell phone–most Android and iPhones have the option to transmit a hotspot. Search online for instructions on how to turn it on. Some cellular plans do not enable you to turn on the hotspot feature; in these cases, you will need to contact your cellular provider to see what options they have available. Many times this option will have additional costs associated with it. 
    • Dedicated hotspot–most mobile providers have a dedicated hardware hotspot solution. For a one-time cost and monthly service fee, you can carry a device that will connect to the internet via a cellular connection and create a mobile hotspot. Different brands of these devices include Mifi, JetPack, and others. Contact your mobile provider for more information.
  • Specials–During this national crisis, multiple vendors are offering specials: 

If you need more targeted assistance and/or have a financial hardship, please fill out this form.

Graduation Requirements

Q: If I’m scheduled to graduate this spring will I still be able to graduate?
A: Students will have the opportunity to complete coursework and make academic progress just as in a typical semester. Students currently on track to graduate this term will be able to graduate at the end of this term if they complete their courses satisfactorily.


Q: If I’m a senior and still need Butler Cultural Requirement (BCR) credits, what do I do?
A: BCR requirements will be waived for students who will graduate in May or August of 2020. If a student graduates December 2020 or later, the BCR requirement remains intact.


Q: What if I am unable to complete my Indianapolis Community Requirement (ICR) as originally planned?
A: Faculty teaching Indianapolis Community Requirement courses are developing ways to allow you to complete the ICR requirement even though additional service hours are not possible. Talk to your professor if you have questions.


Q: Will students that were recalled from study abroad be waived from the GHS requirement?
A: Students who were recalled from their study abroad experiences partway through the semester, but who complete at least 9 credit hours of coursework, will be waived from one semester of the GHS requirement.


Experiential Learning (including internships, clinical, and practicums)

Q: What about my clinical placement, practicum, internship, or placements away from campus?
A: Decisions regarding experiential education are being made at the college level. If you have questions regarding your clinical or field-based placement, please contact the Dean’s office of your college. 


Q: How will labs and other highly experiential learning be handled?
A: Check with your instructor to see how these learning experiences will be handled.


Q: Who should I contact with questions and concerns about careers and internships?
A: The Career and Professional Success (CaPS) office is still here to help you during this challenging time. We are offering virtual appointments with our college-based career advisors. To make an appointment, log in to Handshake using your Butler credentials and click on “Career Center” at the top of the page. Beginning Wednesday, March 18  and operating each workday until further notice, CaPS staff will be online from 2:00-5:00 PM (ET) on Zoom to provide support and answer questions. You can join us here. CaPS will soon be offering workshops via Zoom to help students. Watch your Butler email for details soon.


Changes to major/minor; course schedule

Q:  How do I change my major/minor?
A:  If you need to add or drop a major or minor, contact your academic advisor.  They will be able to initiate an email that will be forwarded to the appropriate individuals or offices for approval.  Once all approvals are received, the email will be forwarded to R&R for processing.  


Q:  Can I still add, drop, or withdraw from a course? How do I do so?
A:  The deadline to withdraw from a course has been changed to April 6. Students and their advisors should consider the potential consequences of dropping below 12 credit hours. Students may initiate the late drop/add/withdrawal process by logging into their My.Butler account.


Q: Can students still elect the pass/fail grading option?
A: The deadline for electing the pass/fail grading option has been changed to April 6. All policies related to the pass/fail grading option remain effective: 


Academic resources

Q: Will I continue to receive accommodations through Student Disability Services (SDS)?
A: Yes. Due to the recent change to remote or online formats, the accommodations needed to provide access may have changed. As students would in a face-to-face class, you may contact your instructor, or SDS, if you have questions about how accommodations will apply during the alternative period. If you find you need additional accommodations for the remote or online environment, or have concerns regarding the accessibility of remote or online materials, contact SDS at 317-940-9308 or for an individualized, confidential discussion regarding your specific situation. SDS registered students will soon receive additional specific information from SDS via email.


Q: How do I request academic accommodations?
A: Contact SDS at 317-940-9308 or


Q: How will SDS students receive their exam accommodations in the online environment?
A: SDS students who are eligible for extended time on exams will be taking their accommodated exams online, as do their classmates, instead of in the SDS testing center. Professors will need to set the extended time allowances in Canvas depending on the individual student's approved extended time length.

SDS students have been notified that they should continue to submit exam requests through the SDS online system, as they typically do because it will provide additional support to both student/professor by helping to ensure students receive their extended time on the online exams. (The only exception to this process has to do with Exam Soft exams through COPHS; those extended time limits will be automatically set.) 

The general process is as follows: When SDS receives the exam request from the student, the online confirmation form will be forwarded to the professor who will then simply notate that the exam is being administered online. Professors will then receive an email reminder to change the student’s time allowance in Canvas based on the student’s extended time length as noted in the student’s accommodation letter.  The email reminders that professors receive will include the Canvas instructions for setting exam time limits


Q: How can I access or use the Speaker’s Lab?
A: The Speaker’s Lab will schedule synchronous Online (real-time) appointments via Zoom through at least Saturday, April 4. Please schedule an appointment at


Q: How can I access or use the Writer’s Studio?
A:  The Writers' Studio, which provides peer tutoring to student writers in all disciplines and classes, will be operating virtually from March 19-April 4. We are offering students the option of either asynchronous online tutoring appointments, in which they chat (through text or webcam) with a tutor, or an asynchronous eTutoring appointment, in which they submit a draft for written feedback from a tutor, through our online portal, WCOnline


Q: How can I access other academic support in an online context?
A: All academic support is available, via phone, Zoom, or other mutually-agreed-upon technology between students and the support personnel.

  • Tutoring services offered through the Center for Academic Success and Engagement and through academic departments remain available. Please reach out to the same individuals with whom you have worked in the earlier half of the semester to continue tutoring support. If you haven’t used tutoring before and want to now, talk to your professor about how to get tutoring.
  • The Center for Faith and Vocation has developed a Spiritual Care Conversation resource. Students (and all members of the Butler community) can click a link to request a Spiritual Care Conversation with CFV Staff and Advisors from various traditions and backgrounds who are available for care and support. These conversations are private or confidential. Additionally, many CFV Communities are exploring ways of continuing their community gatherings and spiritual practices in online formats. Further, the CFV is developing plans for virtual conversations, gatherings, and wellness practices about the current coronavirus challenges.
  • Butler Libraries may be physically closed, but our librarians and staff are ready to help you.  
    • Virtual research support is available via LibChat. Students can live chat with a librarian their research questions, database access issues, and questions about library services such as book renewals. The hours of the live chat service are Monday–Thursday 8:30 AM–10:00 PM; Friday 8:30 AM–5:00 PM; Saturday closed; Sunday Noon–10:00 PM.  
    • You can also contact the librarian who works with your major by consulting the listing of Subject Librarians.  
    • For your research needs, Butler Libraries have substantial collections of online databases that include articles and etexts; consult the Library’s online catalog for ebooks; and utilize the librarian-curated LibGuides for your major.


Q: Can I still be a tutor in an online environment?
A: Departments are strongly encouraged to continue to employ student tutors to provide academic support to students enrolled in high need courses. Students may continue to work as tutors if they are already in Butler’s system as a student employee and if they have the ability and willingness to work from home. They should report their hours as usual, and we will send a paycheck home if they do not have direct deposit.

Online Learning—Faculty

Q: I know several of my students will not be able to return to campus to retrieve books and other resources they need to complete their course assignments. How can I make resources available to them via Canvas?
A: The library recommends that you determine the most essential materials needed for students to complete assignments and digitize them using a scanner in your department (for faculty working on campus) or using a smart phone with a scanner app for faculty working from home. Phone scanner apps recommended by CAT Director Tom Janke include: 

  • Adobe Scan: Android and Apple iOS
  • Scanner App: Apple iOS
  • Tiny Scanner: Android

This recommendation is based upon invoking fair use in this time of a public health emergency. To invoke fair use in these circumstances, it is critical to:

  • Place any digitized resources into an LMS requiring a login
  • Delete all of those resources from the LMS once courses resume face-to-face delivery
  • Scan and upload only the necessary portion of the material(s). You cannot make an entire textbook currently under copyright available under fair use. *see comment 

Q: Once I have the scan(s) done, what is the next step?
A: The pdf of the scanned document(s) can be uploaded into Canvas using the Upload a File instructions. Uploaded pdf documents can be embedded into Canvas assignments or added to a Canvas Module.


Q: How do I make sure my documents are accessible?
A: Even though we are quickly moving to online-only instruction, accessibility is still a requirement. Butler has a Libguide about making sure all resources materials are accessible, how to check for accessibility and additional resources. If you have questions about how to make your digital materials accessible, please contact the Center for Academic Technology at or 940-8575.


Q: I am uncomfortable scanning copyrighted materials. Where can I get more information about copyright and fair use? 
A: Library faculty have developed a Libguide on Copyright/Fair use. Please review the Educational Use Standards section for more detailed information on using information resources by medium (e.g. print materials, web media, movie clips, etc.) The LibGuide also includes a fair use evaluator tool along with more information about the four factors in applying fair use. See also the link to the Columbia University Fair Use Checklist. A fair use checklist can be helpful to determine whether the use of copyrighted material is more or less “fair use.”

Additionally, academic librarians from across the country who are experts in copyright have developed a Public Statement on Fair Use & Emergency Remote Teaching and Research that makes the case for fair use during this public health crisis. 

During these extraordinary circumstances, the library and the administration are exercising our fair use assessments to our current time-bound needs of our faculty, instructors, and students. We are applying fair use prudently and making every effort to manage risk responsibly. It is important to note that the library is not crafting permanent policy--these measures apply to our current time-bound needs. When making determinations about fair use and digitization, as long as we are being thoughtful, and limiting our activities to specific, time-bound needs of our community, we are in a good place to have a strong fair use analysis. More information from copyright experts regarding copyright and our exigent circumstances can be found here.


Q: Who can I contact if I have copyright questions?
A: Please reach out to Jennifer Coronado, our Scholarly Communication Librarian at or 317-426-8390 if you have questions regarding copyright and your online materials. 


Q: Is the textbook for my course available as an ebook?
A: The library subscribes to more than one ebook package, and your textbook may be available in electronic format. You may search the library catalog or contact the Information Commons Desk by email at for assistance. 

If the library does not already have access, we may be able to escalate a restricted access license, or purchase new ebook access to some titles—not all textbooks are available for library/campus licensing. Please contact Josh Petrusa ( and Vanessa French ( to find out if ebook access can be added for the requested title. In some cases, publisher restrictions only allow a single user from campus at a time to access the ebook; if so, communication and consideration between students may be necessary. Students may even have access to more popular titles via their hometown public library in ebook format.

Some publishers are granting free access to resources over the coming weeks or reducing costs for libraries to add licenses to ebook or streaming media content.

Follett is partnering with RedShelf to provide free access to their digital library to students. This does not include all titles used on campus, but should help many of our students. Faculty can follow the steps below to determine whether their texts are available. If they are, then their students can get access to an e-text without the faculty member needing to scan the book chapters into Canvas. You must use a email to gain access.

  • Access
  • Click on the plus sign in the upper right hand corner on the top banner which contains information regarding free eTextbook options and free shipping.
  • Click on the link labeled
  • Students can search for ebooks by title or ISBN (ISBNs can be found under their class information on


Q: What about streaming video options for the DVD I was going to show in class?
A: Check the library’s online catalog as we have many streaming media providers already (Kanopy, Films on Demand, AVON/Academic Video Online, Swank Digital Campus, Docuseek2, Digital Theatre+, etc.). The library may be able to add a new streaming video license on request (email Josh Petrusa), but that may not be possible. Earlier discussion included the option for a DVD to be ripped and posted to Panopto, but building closure and staff displacement will likely make that impossible. If no institutional options exist, students may have to pay $2.00-$4.00 to rent content from places like iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc.


Q: My liaison librarian has created a LibGuide for my class. How do I link the guide into Canvas? 
A: Your library liaison will send you a link to your existing course LibGuides which you can include in Canvas. Another option would be to add your liaison librarian to your canvas site as a teacher. This will give them editing rights to do this for you. This link will help you through this process.   


Q: How do I report a problem with accessing library e-resources?
A: On the side of the Databases A-Z page there is a problem reporting form linked (it is also available via the Report a Broken Link button in WorldCat Discovery. Problems can also be reported to 


Q: How do I make sure I have the right link for sending to my students?
A: Most of our resources (EBSCO, ProQuest, Gale, etc.) have permalink options on the detailed result screen. Please use these whenever they are available, as just copying the information in your browser’s address bar may not work for future use. Most of our resources will need the EZProxy prefix ( added to the beginning of the URLs so that students can authenticate first before accessing them while off-campus, but the permalink (or “share”) functionality of these platforms may add it automatically. If you're not sure whether a link you are using will work off-campus for your students, feel free to send it to your liaison librarian to check. Don’t forget you can link to Library LibGuides within Canvas as well; contact your librarian for LibGuide URLs.


Q: Will interlibrary loan services still be available?
A: Not for physical items; articles can still be requested, but delivery is reliant upon staff at other libraries being available to process these requests. 


Q: When I search the library’s catalog it asks me if I want to sign in; do I need to?
A: You do not need to sign in to see results. We have seen errors where users trying from off-site try to sign in but then see an error. You can always click “Continue as Guest” and then you will be prompted for authentication when you try to leave the library’s catalog to access an ebook or article.


Q: Can I record my sessions on Zoom?
A:  Yes, you may choose to enable the “record the meeting automatically in the cloud” setting when you create the Zoom meeting or you can select “record” in the live meeting view to manually record a Zoom meeting in progress.


Q: How do I handle time zone differences?
A: If you opt for synchronous delivery, you should clarify to students that class sessions will occur during class time in Indiana (Eastern Daylight Savings); if students are in another time zone, they should adjust accordingly.


Q: How do I accommodate students with documented disabilities in an online environment?
A: Students with documented disabilities remain eligible for accommodations. Please contact Student Disability Services if you have questions about how accommodations are altered in the online teaching and learning environment.


Q: How do I address a student’s inability to complete service hours for ICR courses?
A: Faculty teaching Indianapolis Community Requirement courses should not penalize students for their inability to complete service hours. Faculty have discretion to restructure course experiences and hour requirements to facilitate the completion of the IRC. Donald Braid is available to help faculty identify approaches that may work for their courses.


Q: How do I process advising approvals that were previously routed via paper form?
A: We are working on electronic solutions for advising activities that currently require paper forms. Until that happens, any advising activities that currently require paper forms may be initiated with an email chain that moves through the various steps in the approval process.  


Q: How should I conduct advising appointments in an online environment?
A: The format (e.g., email, call in, webchat, Zoom, etc.) for advising is at faculty’s discretion. When and how should be announced to students. 

Admission-Related Questions

Q: Has the Enrollment Deposit deadline extended?
A: Yes, due to the recent events surrounding Coronavirus (COVID-19), Butler University has extended the enrollment deposit deadline for first-year applicants to June 1, 2020. A $500 enrollment deposit is required to reserve a spot in the Class of 2024. Deposits are refundable through this date. For more information, visit


Q: Will Butler continue to hold campus tours for prospective students?
A: All campus visits and events through Thursday, April 30 are no longer available. More details, and information around virtual campus visits, are available here.


Q: What is happening with New Student Registration events?
A: The University has decided to transition all New Student Registration events scheduled for April, May, and June 2020 to Virtual Registration appointments. More details are available here.


Q: What virtual options are available for prospective students?
A: Prospective students can learn more about the Butler student experience and academic colleges by registering for our new Explore Butler (Virtual Session) visit option. Students and families can also explore our academic facilities, state-of-the-art residence halls, and more using our virtual tour.


Q: What virtual options are available for admitted students?
A:  Admitted students can learn more about next steps in the enrollment and financial aid processes by signing up for an Admitted Student Visit (Virtual Session) on their student status page. Students and families can also explore our academic facilities, state-of-the-art residence halls, and more using our virtual tour.  

Q: If I can’t visit campus, how can I get in contact with Butler faculty and staff?
A: Although campus is currently closed to visitors, Butler faculty and staff are still available remotely and would love to hear from you! As a first step for any questions or concerns, contact your admission counselor or the Office of Admission at or 317-940-8100.

Student Housing, Employment, and Travel

Please note that students will have until the end of the semester to move out. More information on that process will be coming soon.



Q: I live in campus housing. When can I remove my things?
A: On Monday, March 23, Indiana’s Governor and the Mayor of Indianapolis requested people not travel except for essential needs. In accordance with this order, we will no longer allow access to the residence halls and apartment buildings until these directives have been rescinded. We are determining the process for students to return to campus—once it is safe to do so—to completely move out from campus housing, and will announce those plans as soon as they are finalized.


Q: Will I receive a credit for unused housing and meal plans?

A: The University is working with our external housing and dining partners to finalize the amount of credits to be provided for unused housing and board plans. Credits will be applied to student accounts by April 8, 2020. We are extending student account payment due dates until May 31, 2020 (from the original April 2 due date as reflected on March e-bills). In addition, we are suspending interest on outstanding balances and late payment fees through May 31, 2020. Once credits for housing and meal plans have been posted to student accounts, students can view their most current account balances via the following navigation:

  • Log into your account.
  • Select Self Service Student Homepage then Student Center.
  • Navigate to FINANCES heading.
  • Click on Account Inquiry (under My Account)—All posted transactions can be viewed.


Q: I live in a Greek house. Will I receive a credit for any room/board expenses that I have paid this year?
A: Housing contracts are between the student and housing corporation, not the University. Please contact your fraternity/sorority housing corporation for more information.


Q: How can I receive my mail?
A: You need to submit a change-of-address through the United States Postal Service to ensure that your mail is forwarded. Please also make sure that any future orders (packages and mail) are directed to your home address and not to campus. For any packages you have ordered but not yet received, we advise that you contact the carriers for those packages to ask that they be redirected to your home address.


Q: When does the 2020–2021 housing selection process for current students start?
A: Residence Life will be providing information on housing selection to students by email on Wednesday, April 1, with selection times beginning on Monday, April 6. Timeslots will be assigned randomly by class.



Q: What do I do about my on-campus job?
A: Given the variety of jobs that student employees hold, please contact your campus supervisor for guidance regarding your campus job. General student employment questions may be directed to Alyssa Laskowski in Career and Professional Success (CaPS),


Q: How do I get my paycheck?
A: Checks were generated on Friday, March 13. They will be mailed to student-employees’ home addresses unless a student requests that Student Accounts mail the check to an alternative address. The Student Accounts cashiering windows will not be open for paycheck distribution, check cashing, or petty cash.



Q: What’s happening with Butler’s spring study abroad programs?
A: Our Center for Global Education has been in close contact with faculty and students currently studying abroad this spring. Due to newly imposed travel bans and recommendations, we required all of our spring 2020 study abroad students and faculty to return home as soon as possible. Returning students and faculty have been told to self-quarantine for 14-days prior to returning to campus if they were studying in one of these specified countries in Europe.


Q: What’s happening with Butler’s summer study abroad programs?
A: In light of serious advisories and rapidly changing global policies, we canceled all summer 2020 study abroad programs.


Q: What about personal travel?
A: Anyone traveling for personal reasons is urged to closely monitor their destination and consult the CDC website for restrictions and quarantine information upon arrival or return.


Q: May student organizations travel?
A: No. All student-organization-sponsored travel—both international and domestic—is suspended until further notice. Students traveling for personal reasons are urged to closely monitor their destination and consult the CDC website for restrictions and quarantine information upon arrival or return.


Q: What are the repercussions for student groups found in violation of the event and travel suspensions?
A: Any organization found to have violated the event or travel suspensions will automatically forfeit their status—and all subsequent privileges—as a recognized student organization. Additional consequences may apply.

Dining, Operations, and Events


Q: Which dining locations will be open during the extended spring break?
A: Atherton Union Marketplace Café will remain open, and Starbucks and Plum Market will be closing after Wednesday, March 18. During this time, the build-your-own salad bar will not be available.

  • Breakfast: 8:00–9:00 AM
  • Lunch: 11:30–1:30 PM
  • Dinner: 4:30–6:00 PM


Q: May I use my meal plan?
A: Beginning Thursday, March 19, only credit and Dawg Bucks will be accepted.  


Q: What if I have dietary restrictions?
A: If you have specific dietary needs related to allergies, celiac disease, or other—please contact Katy Maher at and she will work with you to get a meal that fits your needs.


Q: Where can I find additional information on dining options?
A: Communication will continue to be delivered from Butler University, and you may find additional information about menus and hours at



Q: Are buildings on campus still open?
A: All campus buildings are now locked to the public and only accessible with a Butler ID. Atherton Union Marketplace Café remains open with food-to-go but Starbucks and Plum Market are closed. 


Q: Can I still order on your website?
A: In light of COVID-19, we are extending free domestic ground shipping for all orders with no minimum purchase required. Please visit our websites— and—for additional details. If you have ordered items on our website for store pick-up and are now unable to pick up your items, please contact us so we can arrange to ship your items.


Q: What is BUPD doing to keep the campus safe during this time?
A: BUPD officers continue to actively patrol campus buildings, residential halls, and the surrounding neighborhood.



Q: Are on-campus events canceled?
A: All on-campus events have been canceled until further notice. This includes campus lectures, meetings, conferences, student-run events and all Butler Arts & Event Center events and performances. Ticket holders will be notified by email.

Q: What are your plans for Commencement?
A: The May Commencement ceremony will not happen as originally planned, but there are a number of alternative options being explored including a postponement to a later date or a major December Commencement ceremony for May and December graduates. President Danko and fellow administrators will be meeting with senior class representatives to explore how we might best recognize and celebrate the graduating class of 2020.




Q: What is our work-from-home policy? 
A: We are aggressively limiting the number of employees on campus, primarily to those who can only fulfill their responsibilities, such as maintaining critical University operations, on-site. This is in effect at least through April 7.  If the Governor extends the Stay at Home Order, we will extend accordingly. 

Supervisors are expected to provide direction and work plans to enable all employees to remain actively engaged in fulfilling responsibilities, whether on- or off-campus. Click here for information from IT on working from home successfully.


Q: Will I continue to get paid if my supervisor allows me to work remotely? 
A: Yes, so long as you are working remotely, you will be paid by the University at least through May 9, 2020. 


Q: What if I cannot perform my job responsibilities remotely?  
A: We will make every effort to re-deploy you elsewhere on campus or assign other remote work. If your supervisor is unable to assign you work for a given day or portion of the day, you will be paid for your regularly scheduled hours until May 9, 2020.


Q: What happens after May 9, 2020? 
A: There are a number of people working diligently to consider both the short- and long-term impact of the COVID-19 crisis on Butler University. Employees will continue to be paid and receive benefits for as long as possible without endangering the long-term viability of the University. We are preparing for a new reality as we move forward, but we have not made any decisions yet beyond all employees remaining in paid status until at least May 9, 2020, through the use of remote working, or as applicable PTO, vacation time or emergency support.


Vacation and PTO

Q: Do I need to enter time off if I cannot perform my job responsibilities remotely?  
A: Yes. Starting April 1, 2020, employees who are home and unable to work remotely must enter time off (either PTO or vacation) to ensure their hours are accounted for and that they will be paid. 


Q: What if I cannot perform my job responsibilities remotely AND I run out of vacation or PTO? 
A: We are committed to providing emergency support in cases where employees who are unable to work remotely have already or will have exhausted all vacation and PTO. In this case, you should notify your supervisor who will attempt to re-deploy you elsewhere on campus or assign other remote work. If the University is unable to provide meaningful work, you will be provided additional hours via a bank of leave time through May 9, 2020.


Q: Do I enter all my unused PTO and vacation time into the system to get paid or will the University adjust the balances automatically? 
A: Employees are responsible for entering their unused PTO and vacation time in the system by going to, self-service, time reporting. Employees who cannot work at home and run out of vacation or PTO can enter a negative balance through May 9, 2020, and their pay will not be affected.


Q: When will my vacation and PTO expire for the current fiscal year?  
A: All employees will need to use any remaining PTO and vacation time (with supervisor approval) prior to May 31, 2020. Employees need to seek approval of supervisors before using PTO and vacation time so that we ensure divisions remain operational.  


Q: Am I able to roll over my unused vacation time into next fiscal year?
A: No. HR will not approve any rollovers of unused vacation into next fiscal year (even if your supervisor has already approved the rollover). Given the current COVID-19 crisis, it is not financially viable during a time when the University’s resources are already limited. 


Q: Does it matter if I deplete PTO or vacation first?
A: No. An employee can use either their PTO or vacation time to ensure they are paid for hours worked. 


Q: How do I find my PTO and vacation balances?
A: Go to my.butler, Self Service, Time Reporting, View Time, Absence Balances


Q: My department has a lighter workload. Can I give my team more time off?
A: Supervisors are encouraged to work closely with their employees to identify meaningful full-time work that can be accomplished remotely. If that’s not possible, employees should be encouraged to take time off using their PTO and vacation time.  


Q: May I ask an employee why they missed work?
A: Yes. As always, employees can be asked why they missed work. In addition to expressing concern for employees who have missed work, we need accurate record-keeping for absences. Even while working remotely, employees may utilize PTO and/or vacation time just as they would if working on campus.


COVID-19 Questions

Q: What should I do if I become too sick to work?   
A: Contact your healthcare provider if you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 including fever, cough, or shortness of breath and stay at home if you are currently reporting to campus for your job. An employee who is absent due to illness must provide notice of the absence to their supervisor. Such notice should take the form of a phone call, phone message or email to the supervisor, preferably prior to the start of the employee’s work schedule. PTO should be recorded as usual by the employee.


Q: If someone in close proximity to my or my family’s social or work circle has been diagnosed positive with COVID-19, what should I do?
A: If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19, please stay home and utilize all health safety precautions. Contact your county of residence health department immediately. Have them assess you, follow their directions, and keep your supervisor informed via email.


Q: Will Butler’s healthcare plan cover the cost of a COVID-19 test?
A: Yes, if a medical professional orders a COVID-19 test for you, it will be covered at no cost under Butler’s healthcare plans. If you require an office visit for testing or treatment for a diagnosed case of COVID-19, you would be subject to the normal deductible, copay, and out-of-pocket office visit amounts under your plan.


Q: What assistance is available to help employees cope with the emotional impact of this situation?
A: Butler employees have access to the ComPsych Guidance Resources Program, which provides support, resources, and information for personal and work-life issues. The program is confidential and is provided at no charge to employees and their dependents. See the website for more information. Employees also have access to OC24health, our telemedicine provider. This service provides employees with access to U.S. board-certified physicians (including psychiatrists) through video visits. More information can be found at

In addition, the Center for Faith and Vocation has developed a Spiritual Care Conversation resource. Members of the Butler community can click a link to request a Spiritual Care Conversation with CFV staff and advisors from various traditions and backgrounds who are available for care and support. These conversations are private or confidential. 



Q: Can I still receive mail at my on-campus office?
A: For the time being, we ask that all faculty and staff refrain from ordering/receiving any personal mail or packages on campus. Please redirect such deliveries to your home address.


Q: Has the University put any restrictions on international and/or domestic travel?
A: Yes, we have suspended all University-related travel, both international and domestic, until further notice unless deemed critical. Dean or Vice President approval is required for any travel. Anyone traveling for personal reasons is urged to closely monitor their destination and consult the CDC website for restrictions and quarantine information upon arrival or return.

Health, Counseling, and Support Services

Q: I am a student and believe I have symptoms, may have been exposed to Coronavirus, and/or would like medical assistance or advice. What do I do?
A: Anyone with upper-respiratory symptoms should call Health Services to participate in a screening process before showing up. During business hours call 317-940-9385; after business hours call the Indiana State Department of Health Epidemiology Resource Center at 317-233-7125.

You can also email your COVID-19 questions anytime to, or general health questions to


Q: Is Coronavirus testing available on campus?
A: We are unable to test for the Coronavirus on campus. Students presenting respiratory symptoms of cough, shortness of breath, and a fever higher than 100.4 degrees °F will be screened for the flu. Butler staff are working closely with the local health department to refer for testing.


Q: What should I do if I have medications that are delivered to Health Services?
A: Please call your pharmacy to suspend medication deliveries to Health Services. 

  • Walgreen’s Pharmacy: 317-257-6746
  • CVS Pharmacy: 317-636-6664


Q: How do I get my medications or allergy serum that is currently at Health Services?
A: Please call 317-940-9385 and select option 4 to schedule a time to pick up your medications/allergy serum. You will need to speak with a nurse for COVID-19 screening prior to scheduling an appointment. If you are unable to speak with a nurse at the time of your call, please leave your name, student ID number, and phone number, and a nurse will return your call within 30 minutes.


Q: Can I use my United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) insurance plan off-campus?
A: Yes. The plan converts to a commercial insurance plan and co-pays and deductibles will apply. For UHCSR insurance questions please call United Healthcare Customer Services at 1-800-767-0700.


Q:  If I am not sick can I come to Health Services to be seen?
A:  Due to widespread community transmission, Health Services has taken a proactive approach to reduce exposure and protect our students in community settings. At this time, Health Services will not be scheduling any elective and well-visits (vaccinations, allergy injections, physicals, well-exams) based upon CDC recommendations. If you are sick and need to be seen, call 317-940-9385 and press option 4 to speak with a triage nurse.


Q: Are the other offices in the Health and Recreation Center closed?
A: No. Health Services and the Sexual Assault Response and Prevention (SARP) Office remain open. The Counseling Center is open for limited services only (see more info below) Please visit for information about each area and their hours.


Q: What services are available at the Counseling and Consultative Services (CCS) office?
A: We have suspended all face-to-face services including group therapy, outreach, and individual therapy until further notice. At this time, CCS staff are available for telephone consultations from 8:00 AM–4:00 PM, Monday–Friday, to assist students with urgent mental health needs, answer questions, or assist with mental health arrangements off-campus. CCS is not providing teletherapy at this time but are working toward an online option in the near future. 

Students may leave a voicemail for non-urgent needs at 317-940-9385 to be returned within the next business day. Referral and crisis information is available here. If there is any concern regarding safety, the national suicide hotline 800 273-TALK (8255) is available regardless of the student’s location. Students may also contact their local community mental health center for local treatment and crisis options.


Q: How is the Center for Faith and Vocation available to support students?
A: The Center for Faith and Vocation has developed a Spiritual Care Conversation resource. Members of the Butler community can click a link to request a Spiritual Care Conversation with CFV staff and advisors from various traditions and backgrounds who are available for care and support. These conversations are private or confidential.

Additionally, many CFV Communities are exploring ways of continuing their community gatherings and spiritual practices in online formats. Go to the CFV Communities page to find current student and advisor contacts to reach out and learn more. Further, the CFV is exploring how we can gather students into virtual conversations, gatherings, and wellness practices about the current coronavirus challenges as well as interfaith dialogue and vocational reflection. Please reach out to to sign up for the CFV Newsletter to hear directly about the virtual programs being offered.


Q: Who should I contact with questions and concerns about careers and internships?
A: The Career and Professional Success (CaPS) office is still here to help you during this challenging time. We are offering virtual appointments with our college-based career advisors. To make an appointment, log into Handshake using your Butler credentials and click on “Career Center” at the top of the page. Beginning Wednesday, March 18  and operating each workday until further notice, CaPS staff will be online from 2:00-5:00 PM (ET) on Zoom to provide support and answer questions. You can join us here. CaPS will soon be offering workshops via Zoom to help students. Watch your Butler email for details soon.


Q: Does the Sexual Misconduct Policy apply during this time?
A: Yes, the policy applies not only to behaviors that take place in person, but also those that take place online. Resources and reporting options for those who have experienced sexual misconduct are available. Reports of sexual misconduct can be submitted through our online report form or via email to Maria Kanger, our Title IX Coordinator, at or Jules Arthur-Grable, our Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Specialist, is also available via email at or phone call/text at 317-910-5572. Jules is a confidential resource who has a limited obligation to report to BUPD when certain crimes are reported. She does not provide names to BUPD.


Q: Will Student Government Association offer any programming during this time? 
A: SGA leadership is hard at work developing programming and initiatives tailored to our new online learning community, and are determined to keep students engaged with one another and our campus. Stay connected with SGA over their social media platforms (Instagram and Twitter: @butlersga) for the most recent updates.


Q: Does the HRC have virtual resources I can utilize during this time?
A: We are actively looking for ways to engage our community virtually at this time. In addition to our @butlerhrc Instagram handle, tune in to our other Instagram handles and the BUBeWell Instagram page for online fitness, wellness, and recreation resources and tips.

What is the status of COVID-19 in the Butler community?

We are aware of reports of Butler community members who may be affected by the coronavirus, whether they have been in quarantine due to exposure, or suspected to be ill with COVID-19, either tested or not. As the virus continues to spread locally and nationally, we will not be in a position to provide specific updates regarding Butler community members who are affected. However, please know that Butler University Health Services and local health departments have defined processes to ensure that those affected have clear guidance on directives to seek medical attention and self-quarantine, and broader efforts to track people who need to be in self-quarantine to reduce further spread of the disease.

Preparedness and Crisis Response

Q: What is Butler doing to respond?
A: Our incident response teams have been working around the clock to assess conditions and develop response plans for this unprecedented public health challenge. We have been in ongoing communication with local and state health departments and have been monitoring guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.


Q: How are you creating social distancing at this time?
A: While the campus is open a number of changes have been made to create social distancing which is defined as staying at least six feet away from other people (whenever possible), limiting social engagements, and avoiding crowds and mass gatherings.

  • Virtual learning will occur for the entire spring semester.
  • We have closed all residence halls,
  • We have closed our heavily used Health and Recreation Complex.
  • We have canceled all on-campus events (including those at the Butler Arts & Events Center).
  • All spring sports events have been canceled. Practices and training sessions have been paused, and athletic facilities are closed through at least April 4.
  • A work-from-home option is now in effect to reduce the number of employees in the workplace.


Q: Have you stepped up cleaning efforts?
A: Yes, housekeeping staff has stepped up efforts to wipe down hard surfaces, doorknobs, and commonly touched surfaces.

General Information on COVID-19

Q: What is the coronavirus (COVID-19)?
A: There are several strains of coronaviruses, most of which circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold. Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. Symptoms can range from mild to severe.

Q: What are the symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
A: Current symptoms have included mild to severe respiratory illness with fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Read about COVID-19 symptoms.

Q: How do coronaviruses spread?
A: The current understanding is COVID-19 spreads much like other coronaviruses through:

  • Coughing and sneezing.
  • Touching an object or surface with the virus on it then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands.
  • Close personal contact such as touching or shaking hands.

Q: What is the risk and what can I do to lessen my chances of catching coronavirus (COVID-19)?
A: There is currently no vaccine for COVID-19. However, the CDC recommends everyday actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like coronavirus. They include:

  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
  • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.

Q: Should I be wearing a facemask?
A: The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus. Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of coronavirus to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.

Q: What else can I be doing to avoid getting sick?
A: In addition to practicing good health habits, we suggest you also stay aware and prepared. The CDC COVID-19 situation summary is a good place for current information.

If you have questions not answered by these FAQs, please use the contact information listed below.

  • For health-related questions, contact Health Services at or 317-940-9385.
  • For academic-related questions, students should contact their instructors, and faculty should contact their Dean.
  • For study abroad questions, contact the Center for Global Education.
  • For general student-related questions, contact
  • For questions regarding Student Disability Services, visit
  • For questions related to student clubs and other activities, contact Student Involvement and Leadership at 317-940-9262 or
  • For staff questions, contact the Office of Human Resources at or 317-940-9355.