- First Year Seminar
- Global & Historical Studies
- Analytic Reasoning
- The Natural World
- Perspectives in the Creative Arts
- Physical Well Being
- The Social World
- Texts & Ideas
- Social Justice and Diversity
- Butler Cultural Requirement
- Indianapolis Community Requirement
- CORE Faculty FAQ
CORE Faculty FAQ
Policy documents related to Butler Univeristy's Core Curriculum are available in BU Digital Commons: Policy Documents.
The Core Curriculum Operating Manual contains updated information about the mission of each area, the constitution and duties of advisory committees and provides implementation information for both curriculum development and assessment. Information of special importance to advisors, including policies regarding exemptions, variances and transfer credits are also included.
The Core Curriculum Planning Worksheet is a helpful when advising students about the Core Curriculum.
For additional information, contact the Core office.
View the Core Exemptions List here.
Yes, Course Enhancement Grants provide up to $200 toward a co-curricular experience for students relevant to the Core course. Download the application.
See the Assessfest FAQ for more information about this topic.
Social Justice and Diversity (henceforth SJD) courses must meet all three of the following student learning outcomes:
- Recognize multiple and intersecting dimensions of identity and inequity through the study of critical scholarship on the historical, cultural, political, and/or social experiences of marginalized communities.
- Identify and explain the causes and impact of privilege, power, and oppression and cultivate tools for overcoming conflict and promoting equality.
- Recognize and critique local, national, or global conditions that enable, perpetuate and/or challenge social injustice and inequity.
A designator for courses of 3 credit hours or more, SJD courses may also fulfill other core curriculum requirements, such as FYS and ICR.
The Social Justice & Diversity Requirement (one 3-hour credit course) is in effect for all students, including first-year and transfer students, entering Butler University during the fall 2020 semester.
How do I propose a Social Justice and Diversity course?
The proposals process is available on the Faculty Canvas UCC site. Questions: Contact the Core Curriculum Office at 317-940-9480 or email.
Until further notice, the BCR Review Committee is not accepting BCR event proposals. The only approved BCR events available currently are those sponsored by the following:
- Butler Arts and Events Center Presents
- Butler Ballet: Nutcracker, Midwinter, and Spring performances
- Seminar on Religion and Global Affairs, presented by the Center for Faith and Vocation
- Butler Theatre (faculty-directed) performances
- College of Communication Distinguished Lecture
- Celebration of Diversity Distinguished Lecture Series
- A New View Film Series, presented by the Center for Faith and Vocation
- Global and Historical Studies Seminars
- Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra/Symphonic Choir/Opera
- J. James Woods Lecture Series
- School of Music Concert Series (includes Music at Butler, Piano at Butler, Faculty Artist, Duckwall Artist Series, etc.)
- Vivian S. Delbrook Visiting Writers' Series
- Wayne Wetzel Lecture Series