Skip to main content

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Jordan Hall with a blue overlay
College of Education


When and how am I admitted to Butler's Teacher Education Program?

Near the end of the sophomore year, you must apply for admission to Teacher Education. To be admitted you must meet the following criteria:

  • Recommendation by the College Committee or the senior college
  • Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (2.8 for Fall 2016 Admits or later)
  • Completion of approved professional education courses with no grade less than a C (C- is not acceptable): COE CORE I (ED 199 or ED 112/245) and COE CORE II (ED 299 or ED 241/242/244)
  • Satisfactory completion of appropriate clinical and field experiences.
  • A grade of C- in the major or any education course must be repeated or with the advisor's permission, a class may be substituted and a grade of C or above attained.
  • Satisfactory progress in completing requirements for a specific major must be met

How do I know which courses to take and when to take them?

Curriculum sheets, a four year planning sheet and regular consultation with your academic advisor will ensure that you are on the right track. All program curriculum requirement sheets are available on our website under Student Resources.

How do I document basic skills competency to be admitted to the teacher education program?

ACT® with a score of at least 24 based on Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science
SAT® with a score of at least 1170 based on Critical Reading and Math
GRE® with a score of at least 1100 based on Verbal and Quantitative prior to 8/1/11
GRE® with a score of at least 301 based on Verbal and Quantitative after 8/1/11

Note: ACT, SAT, and GRE scores do not include writing. Anyone with a master's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution is exempt from this requirement.

Suicide Prevention 

How do I sign up to take the NEW Indiana CORE Assessments for Educator exams?

Testing Information (downloadable PDF)

How do I apply to student teach?

Core IV Student Teaching/Internship application information.


When do I find out where I will be student teaching?

All confirmed student teaching placements will be available at the spring orientation meeting prior to the academic year of student teaching.

How do I apply for my Indiana State Teaching License?

Submit your application online just prior to graduation at In order to be eligible for recommendation for licensure, you must meet the following criteria:

Meet all University requirements for graduation or completion of a non-degree graduate licensure program.
Receive favorable final evaluations from the cooperating teacher and University supervisor with a grade of Pass with Validation (PV) assigned by the appropriate faculty member.
Attain passing scores on the appropriate Indiana Core Assessments and the Developmental/Pedagogy exams, and/or any other standardized tests that are required.
Complete and submit all license application materials including proof of CPR/AED/Heimlich certification to the DOE website.
Meet all state requirements for licensure in effect at the time of program completion including the recommendation for licensure by the License Advisor for the University.

How do I apply for an out of state teaching license?

Indiana has license reciprocity with over 40 states. This means that a person who holds an Indiana State Teacher's License and applies to any of the reciprocal states is granted a temporary license while the license holder's qualifications are examined and compared to the licensing requirements of the new state. Further details are available by contacting each state through the information provided under Teacher Licensing.