Engaged Learning Center
New York City Learning Semester
Application due date and learn more
The Fall 2020 program was suspended, due to COVID-19. We are hopeful that the Fall 2021 program will continue as scheduled. Information sessions will be held via Zoom once the Fall 2020 semester begins. Watch here for updates. The application will be due February 5, 2021 for hopeful Fall 2021 participants.
Application Process and Timeline
The New York City Learning Semester is a new companion to our successful Washington DC program. The program launched in the Fall 2018 semester and is currently slated for Fall semesters only.
Who can apply?
All juniors and seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 are eligible to apply for the New York City Learning Semester. Here are the steps you need to take before applying.
- Meet with your academic advisor to be sure that participating in the Fall program will fit your academic plan.
- Talk with Dr. Rusty Jones, Faculty Director of Engaged Learning.
To apply to the main NYC program, please complete the following application materials and deliver them to Dr. Jones in the Engaged Learning Center (JH 105) by 4:00 PM on February 5, 2021.
- New York application (Word)
- Two letters of recommendation. One from an employer, one from a faculty member. The letters should be emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or sent by mail to: Dr. Rusty Jones, 4600 Sunset Ave, JH 105, Indianapolis IN 46208.
- Your resume.
- Personal Statement (see the instructions on the application form)
Note: College of Education students who wish to participate in the Fall 2020 semester should work with Dr. Catherine Pangan and Dr. Arthur Hochman. They have a separate application process for the NYC program.
The St. George Towers in Brooklyn Heights is our current housing facility. Prices are very competitive for the market, and the amenities include a gym and pool.
In addition to your internship experience, designated experiential short courses and field trips complete the experience. Contact Dr. Jones to learn more about each year's short course offerings.
See more about our student who interned with the New York Rangers in Fall 2018. We had another Sports Media student with the same internship in Fall 2019!
Bulldogs in NYC!