Center for High Achievement & Scholarly Engagement
New York City Learning Semester
Application due date and learn more
Information sessions for both the NYC Learning Semester and Washington, DC Learning Semester were held on Monday 11/18/2019 from 12-12:50 pm in JH 048 and also on Tuesday 11/19/2019 from 12:15-12:45 pm in JH 155.
Don't worry, it's not too late to learn more! Students interested in learning more are welcome to contact Dr. Jones for an individual appointment. Applications for Fall 2020 will be due by February 7, 2020. See below for details.
Application Process and Timeline
The New York City Learning Semester is a new companion to our successful Washington D.C. program. The program launched in the Fall 2018 semester, and is currently slated for Fall semesters only.
Who can apply?
All juniors and seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 are eligible to apply for the New York City Learning Semester. Here are the steps you need to take before applying.
- Meet with your academic advisor to be sure that participating in the Fall program will fit your academic plan.
- Talk with Dr. Rusty Jones, Faculty Director of Engaged Learning.
To apply to the main NYC program, please complete the following application materials and deliver them to Dr. Jones in the Engaged Learning Center (JH 105) by 4:00 PM on February 7, 2020.
- New York application (Word)
- Two letters of recommendation. 1 from an employer, 1 from a faculty member. The letters should be emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or sent by mail to: Dr. Rusty Jones, 4600 Sunset Ave, JH 105, Indianapolis IN 46208.
- Your resume.
- Personal Statement (see the instructions on the application form)
Note: College of Education students who wish to participate in the Fall 2020 semester should work with Dr. Catherine Pangan and Dr. Arthur Hochman. They have a separate application process for the NYC program.
The St. George Towers in Brooklyn Heights is our current housing facility. Prices are very competitive for the market, and the amenities include a gym and pool.
In addition to your internship experience, designated experiential short courses and field trips complete the experience. Contact Dr. Jones to learn more about each year's short course offerings.
See more about our student who interned with the New York Rangers in Fall 2018. We had another Sports Media student with the same internship in Fall 2019!
Bulldogs in NYC!