Center for High Achievement & Scholarly Engagement
New York City Learning Semester
Information sessions were held on November 13 for the NYC Learning semester. If you were unable to attend either session, but you want to learn more, please contact Dr. Jones for an individual appointment.
Our Fall 2018 Students
Our first ever participants in the New York City Learning Semester are living in NYC, working hard, and having a great time! We have students with the New York Rangers, Emmis Communications, Restaurant Associates, and more. The College of Education is also onboard with three student teachers doing full-time teaching work. Y
Application Process and Timeline
The New York City Learning Semester is a new companion to our successful Washington D.C. program. This new program will be for Fall semesters only.
Who can apply?
All juniors and seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 are eligible to apply for the New York City Learning Semester. Here are the steps you need to take before applying.
- Meet with your academic advisor to be sure that participating in the Fall program will fit your academic plan.
- Talk with Dr. Rusty Jones, Faculty Director of the CHASE office.
To apply to the main NYC program, please complete the following application materials and deliver them to Dr. Jones in the CHASE office (JH 105) by 4:00 PM on February 8, 2019.
- New York application (Word)
- Two letters of recommendation. 1 from an employer, 1 from a faculty member. The letters should be emailed to us at email@example.com or sent by mail to: Dr. Rusty Jones, 4600 Sunset Ave, JH 105, Indianapolis IN 46208.
- Your resume.
- Personal Statement (see the instructions on the application form)
Note: College of Education students who wish to participate in the Fall 2019 semester should work with Dr. Catherine Pangan and Dr. Arthur Hochman. They have a separate application process for the NYC program.
We are anticipating that the St. George Towers in Brooklyn Heights will be our Fall 2019 housing facility. 2019 pricing is not yet available. In 2018, triples were $6200 or $6600 for the semester, based on the particular tower that is available. Doubles were $7000 or $7300.
Read the Butler Newsroom report on the NYC program.
See more about our student interning with the New York Rangers!