Butler ID Open High Courses
On specific days each semester the Butler High Course is open and available to all current Butler ID holders for free (students, staff, and faculty)! Participants are given a two-hour window to come explore the High Course. We recommend this experience for individuals or small groups of fewer than 10. If you have a larger group or are interested in a private experience, please check out the details on the main High Challenge Course page.
Butler ID Open High Courses for the Fall 2018 Semester
- Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 10:00am - 2:00pm (Final group starts at 12:00pm)
- Friday, April 26, 2019 - 7:00pm - 11:00pm (Final group starts at 9:00pm)
Please see the "Butler ID Open High Course Policies" below for full details about participating.
Who can come play?
- Anyone with a current Butler ID including students, staff and faculty. We no longer allow general public participation.
- Participants with a current Butler ID can bring up to two non-Butler guests who are 12 and older!
- Participants under 18 must have a responsible adult present during their entire experience. (The adult does not have to participate but must remain on site.)
- Participants under 18 must have a waiver signed by their Parent or Legal Guardian. The Open Liability Release can be downloaded in advance from our website or completed on site if the parent/guardian is accompanying the participant.
What does it cost?
- Butler ID Open High Courses are free!
- We also do private groups on non-Open dates at a per person rate for Butler, community, and general public groups. See the main High Challenge Course for details or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does this all work?
- There is no pre-registration for Open Courses and we have a limited availability for participation. (Arrive early for your best chance to climb!)
- Upon arrival, participants fill out a liability release form and receive a wristband.
- Wristbands are passed out on a first-come, first-served basis and are non-transferable.
- Participants must be present to receive their own wristband.
- Wristbands are good for a predetermined two-hour participation window, including gear fitting and safety briefing.
- We begin handing out wristbands one hour in advance of start time.
- Groups start every 30 minutes up to two hours before the end of the event time.
What if it rains?
- All of our events are weather permitting!
- If we must cancel an event due to weather or any other reason, it will be noted on our Hotline at 317-940-8942 as far in advance as possible.
What should I wear/bring?
- Comfortable, harness-friendly clothing and fully enclosed shoes!
- If you have long hair, please have it pulled back and down low on your neck to fit under the helmet.
- We recommend having empty pockets when you climb!
Anything else I should know?
- For safety reasons, the Butler University Challenge Education Staff reserves the right
- To refuse service to those who might be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- To determine if someone can safely and properly fit in the provided gear. Harnesses are rated for up to approximately 250 lbs. but fit individuals differently.
- Please be aware that due to limited availability, we cannot guarantee everyone will get to climb. If you would like to bring a larger group, we recommend scheduling a private event. Open Course events are designed for individual experiences.
The Butler University Challenge Education Program wants to express gratitude and appreciation for all of the participants from the general public who have attended Open Dates in past years. At this time, we are no longer able to offer this free service. We greatly enjoyed being a part of the Indianapolis and wider-area community in this way.
We do offer private events for any group type (including public) with participants 12 and older. If you are interested in a private event, please see the main High Challenge Course for details or email email@example.com.