Proctorio Secure Testing & Proctoring Service
Proctorio is a secure testing tool that provides online proctoring with identity verification, test monitoring, lock down browser components and other features to support academic integrity. It is integrated into Canvas and works with Canvas’s classic Quiz tool -- compatibility with Canvas's New Quizzes tool is on the horizon. Proctorio will not alter instructor content and only requires use of the Google Chrome browser and Proctorio Chrome browser extension. Access Proctorio Help Index on ask.butler.edu.
Note: accessing the vendor-supplied documents below will require a one-time setup using your Butler email account:
- Canvas Full Demo
- Canvas Instructor's Getting Started Guide
- Canvas Creating an Exam with Proctorio
- Canvas Proctorio Gradebook
- Proctorio Syllabi Description (download)
Proctorio is a remote proctoring service that is used with some classes when you take quizzes and exams in Canvas. Proctorio may record your webcam, your screen, or other actions during the exam session and share that information with your instructor. Proctorio has taken great measures to protect student privacy. You can read more about Proctorio's efforts to protect student data and privacy at the following articles:
Student Frequently Asked Questions
Unlike other online proctoring services, Proctorio does not employ the use of biometrics or external human based proctors to monitor the student while they take the exam. Proctorio will record the students' identity via webcam and, depending upon the exam settings controlled by individual instructors, monitor your exam attempt in various ways. A multitude of privacy provisions have been established to ensure student privacy and FERPA compliance.
- Proctorio has no file access of any kind. Proctorio cannot and will not access any of your personal files or documents.
- During an exam Proctorio may take screenshots of your desktop, detect the number of computer monitors connected to your computer, or record your web traffic. This information will only be recorded if the professor has enabled it within the exam settings. The information is stored with zero-knowledge encryption, which means the data is encrypted both in transit and at rest.
- Once an exam is completed, Proctorio no longer has access to this information.
- It is impossible for anyone at Proctorio or any of its affiliates to view exam recordings. They are only accessible to authorized users at your university and through Butler's Canvas system.
- Proctorio never stores academic information from any of its users.
No. Online proctoring for exams is an option that your instructor may or may not require for course exams. If the instructor has enabled online proctoring for an exam, then it is required of all students in that class.
If you have an online exam that requires proctoring via Proctorio, a notification will typically be provided within your syllabus. Additionally, it will be common for instructors to communicate which exams will use Proctorio before the exam is administered.
Students will need a webcam with microphone (internal or USB), their Butler student ID, the Google Chrome browser, the Proctorio extension, and a quiet private location with a reliable internet connection. It is the student's responsibility to ensure these requirements are met.
Check to make sure that you are 1) using the Chrome browser and 2) have the proper extension installed. If you continue to experience technical issues, Proctorio offers 24/7 technical support to students via email firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone at (480) 428-4089 or toll-free (866) 948-9248.
Proctorio is VPAT certified, 508 compliant, and fully accessible to those with special needs. Students with special needs are required to contact the Student Disability Services office to communicate need for accomdations. Proctorio will work with supported screen readers. Read more about Proctorio's accessibility measures.
Proctorio requires the use of the Google Chrome web browser and you need to use/install the Proctorio extension (see "How do I prepare?"). Proctorio is active when you log in to the exam and is gone when you log out. During the exam, a system of computers captures your movements and sends your video and other data to your instructor for review. Proctorio will flag activity that might not be allowed. Your instructor will then be able to review the video and data to decide if any action is necessary.
Proctorio has provided a setup guide for test-takers.
- A quiet and distraction free area you feel comfortable taking your exam. Prepare to be seated here for the entire duration of the exam.
- Any computer with Google Chrome and the Proctorio extension.
- A reliable internet connection.
- A working webcam and microphone if required by your instructor.
- Some exams will require a Butler photo ID, this will be noted on the exam landing page. If the ID is required, please have it ready.
- You need to use a regular computer (Windows/Mac computer or laptop). You cannot take the exams from mobile devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, Android device, etc). You need a working webcam and microphone (depending on the options your instructor has selected).
- You must use the Google Chrome web browser and the Proctorio Extension.
- Install the Proctorio extension for Google Chrome. It takes less than 30 seconds. The exam that requires Proctorio will usually prompt you to install the extension if you need it.
- Have your Butler ID card available. Depending on the settings your instructor has used for the exam you may be asked to hold up your ID to indicate that you are the test taker.
- Be ready for room scans. Again, depending on the settings on your exam Proctorio may ask you to do a room scan; turning your web camera in a 360-degree pan to look at the room. Proctorio may ask more than once if the program hears noises: the application is trying to ensure there is nobody else in the room.
Using Proctorio is fairly simple. Proctorio walks you through the process as you're taking the exam, so you do not need to refer to any instructions while you're using Proctorio. The best way to prepare is to practice! If your instructor has set up a practice exam be sure to take it so you are prepared.
You may be randomly asked to perform a room scan during your exam. If this happens, lift your webcam or laptop and slowly turn it around to give a 360-degree view of your exam environment. Do not move the camera too fast or it won't provide a clear video and you may be asked to perform the scan again. It is important to show each corner of the room and your desktop area.
Once you are finished, return your webcam or laptop as close to its original position as best you can.
If you're using a desktop computer with a built-in webcam (e.g. iMac), it might be difficult to lift and rotate the entire computer. You can either rotate a mirror in front of the webcam or ask your instructor for further instruction.
Always get clarification from your professor if you are unsure about your room scan.
Failure to perform the room scan properly may result in a violation of exam procedures.
Currently, only Quiz Classic in Canvas is combatible with Proctorio. Eventuall Canvas New Quizzes will be compatible. CAT will notify instructors when this happens.
Reinstalling the Proctorio Extension
Periodically, the Proctorio extension will need to be re-installed for updates. To remove and uninstall Proctorio, followg the steps below:
- Go to Customize and Control Google Chrome (three dots in the upper right of the browser) > More tools > Extensions
- [reinstall Proctorio]
- Find the Proctorio extension and click the Remove from Chrome (trash can) icon.
- Go back to the quiz and it will prompt you to install of the extension.
Help, I'm still having problems
You can call or email Proctorio Support: (480) 428-4089 or (866) 948-9248 or email@example.com.
You can also access the Proctorio Student Support center from within your course once you click on the exam link by clicking on "Learn more about Proctorio".