Butler will begin transitioning to Canvas beginning Summer of 2019 with the target of having all Colleges transitioned by Spring 2020. Implementation will occur in phases with the goal of LAS, COPHS and JCA delivering courses in Canvas for Fall 2019 and LSB, CCOM and COE delivering courses in Canvas in Spring 2020. However, individual instructors may request to opt-in early. CAT strongly recommends that everyone new to Canvas, and especially early adopters, enroll and complete the Canvas 101 Self-Paced Course for Instructors. This online course consists of eight modules that cover the basics or using Canvas for instruction. Participants who complete the course module requirements will earn a completion certificate.
For those not opting-in early, know that the Center for Academic Technology is working with College leaders to arrange trainings and migration support at key times prior to your College's slated implementation semester. Please check with your College administrators for the migration and training opportunities arranged for your particular college. Explore the resources below to learn more about Canvas. The web address for Canvas at Butler is Canvas.Butler.edu.
For Faculty and Staff
Teaching with Canvas
- Getting Started with Canvas - Instructor
- Enroll in and complete Canvas 101 (beta) - self-paced instructor training
- Canvas Basics Guide - Discover the essentials of Canvas
- Request Canvas Sandbox site - Explore Canvas, first hand, by working in a practice course site
- Moodle to Canvas Comparison Guide - Learn the Canvas equivalency of tools and functions found in Moodle
- Moodle to Canvas Migration Instructions & Tips - Designed for early adopters, this step-by-step document will guide you through migrating Moodle course content into Canvas
- Participate in CAT Facilitated Canvas Sessions
Moodle ORGs (Organizations) are scheduled to transition off of Moodle during the spring 2020 semester. Many groups on campus use Moodle to manage committee and other project work involving groups. It may make sense for Organizations to transition to Canvas but in some cases it may not. Butler has access to other tools that may, actually, better serve the needs of the organization rather than using a learning management system. To help make this determination, please reach out to your IT Account Manager by submitting a case at ask.butler.edu.
- Canvas Student Guide
- Getting Started with Canvas - Student
- Access Canvas Student Orientation
- Guides for Canvas Student Mobile App - Android/iOS