Butler has begun the transition to Canvas with the target of having all Colleges transitioned by Spring 2020. LAS, COPHS and JCA transitioned in the Fall 2019 semester. LSB, CCOM and COE are targeted to transition in the spring 2020 semester. CAT strongly recommends that everyone new to Canvas enroll and complete the Canvas 101 Self-Paced Course for Instructors. This online course consists of eight modules that cover the basics or using Canvas for instruction. Participants who complete the course module requirements will earn a completion certificate.
The Center for Academic Technology is working with the colleges to arrange training prior to your college's slated implementation semester. Importantly, many courses have content that can migrate from Moodle to Canvas. Bulk migration for eligible spring courses will begin in mid to late fall 2019. Please check with CAT for the migration and training opportunities arranged for your particular college. Explore the resources below to learn more about Canvas. The web address for Canvas at Butler is Canvas.Butler.edu.
For Faculty and Staff
Teaching with Canvas
- Getting Started with Canvas - Instructor
- Enroll in and complete Canvas 101 - self-paced instructor training
- Canvas Basics Guide - Discover the essentials of Canvas
- Request Canvas Sandbox site - Explore Canvas, first hand, by working in a practice course site
- Moodle to Canvas Comparison Guide - Learn the Canvas equivalency of tools and functions found in Moodle
- Moodle to Canvas Migration Instructions & Tips - Designed for early adopters, this step-by-step document will guide you through migrating Moodle course content into Canvas
- Participate in CAT Facilitated Canvas Sessions
Moodle ORGs (Organizations) are scheduled to transition off of Moodle during the spring 2020 semester. Many groups on campus use Moodle to manage committee and other project work involving groups. It may make sense for Organizations to transition to Canvas but in some cases it may not. Butler has access to other tools that may, actually, better serve the needs of the organization rather than using a learning management system. To help make this determination, please reach out to your IT Account Manager by submitting a case at ask.butler.edu.
- Canvas Student Guide
- Getting Started with Canvas - Student
- Access Canvas Student Orientation
- Guides for Canvas Student Mobile App - Android/iOS
Moodle Retirement Schedule
- The Spring 2020 semester will be the last time Butler courses will be provisioned in Moodle
- Instructors, staff and students will continute to have access to Moodle through summer 2020
- Fall 2020 - moodle.buter.edu no longer available
- Moodle enters retirement on Feburary 1st, 2021