Skip to main content
The Business Building, home of the Lacy School of Business
Career and Professional Success

On-Campus Student Employment

Digital Paperwork

To protect supervisors, students, and CaPS staff, we're reducing the physical handling of documents by utilizing a digital-first process. Please read carefully through the information below.

Important note: Federal law requires all documents to be submitted before you can begin working. Training is considered employment.

Ribbon with Diagonal Gray Stripes

Finding a Job

​Students work in almost every University department and office, as well as for student organizations. Despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, there are still many employment opportunities across campus, in the neighboring community, and now, more so than ever, virtually.

Get Started

  1. Search our online employment portal Handshake (positions typically begin appearing mid-August and September as faculty and staff return to campus)
  2. View a list of faculty and staff contacts for commonly-acquired on campus jobs
  3. View a list of campus departments and centers that hire students

Bookstore, Bon Appetit, and Starbucks

The Bookstore, Dining Services, and Starbucks are not considered campus employers. Each organization exists outside the University and handles its own hiring through the websites for Follet's Bookstore, Bon Appetit, and Starbucks Careers. If you're interested in applying for these jobs, please apply online and/or ask to speak with the appropriate manager about job openings.

Resume, Cover Letter, and Interview Assistance

A division of Academic Affairs, CaPS supports all Butler students and graduates—for free, for life—along your career development journey. This includes obtaining on-campus jobs.

Please utilize the resources below:

Ribbon with Diagonal Gray Stripes

Getting Hired

If you've worked on campus before, no employment paperwork is needed (your supervisor will simply enter information into the University's eHire system). However, if this is your first on-campus job, you'll need to read the following section closely:


New Hire Paperwork Packet

All students new to working at Butler must complete all 4 of the documents below. Some of these hiring documents require you and supervisors to type text into PDFs and insert digital signatures. If you're unsure how to do so, please read the "How To Complete and Sign PDFs" drop-down further below.

If you need help with what information to put in the forms, please download and follow our Cheat Sheet for New Hire Paperwork.

  1. Butler H.R. Policy Acknowledgement
  2. IRS W-4 Employee’s Withholding Certificate

  3. WH-4 Employee's Withholding Exemption & County Status Certificate

  4. IRS I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
    • visit Adobe Sign Library Templates webpage and download the "IRS I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification" fillable PDF

    • type your info into page #1 of the PDF

    • print out the entire I-9 document and sign page #1. Do not email the I-9 document to Alyssa Laskowski.

    • after you've emailed the other paperwork forms and have been given the go-ahead from a CaPS staff member via email (Alyssa Laskowski, Jeremy Walthall, or Joey Wohlhieter), schedule an "On-campus Employment and Federal Work Study" appointment with a CaPS staff member through Handshake

    • when it’s time for your meeting, bring your printed I-9 document to BB 102, the CaPS front desk in the Business Building. You must also bring your valid identification documents. Identification documents must be the originals. Photocopies or pictures of docs submitted by applicants are unacceptable per federal law. Page #3 of the I-9 explains document types and which list (A, B or C) each document must be entered into. Read the full list of acceptable documents (a passport, a photo ID, a social security card, and/or birth certificate)


Video Walkthrough

Note: this video may reference handling documents physically. Please defer to the printing instructions above. (As of fall 2020, that meant printing only the I-9.)

Ribbon with Diagonal Gray Stripes

Frequently Asked Questions

How To Complete and Sign PDFs

New Hire Paperwork documents require students and supervisors to type text into PDFs and insert their digital signatures.

Although students and supervisors can use the PDF reader application of their choice, Adobe Acrobat is recommended.

Obtaining Adobe Acrobat

The program is available on all Butler-owned computers (lab computers for students can be found at ), by launching a virtual desktop at , or by downloading a free trial at 

Note for faculty/staff: if needed, view instructions on how to install Adobe Acrobat on your Butler-owned computer.

Inserting Digital Signature

View instructions on how to insert a signature using Adobe Acrobat under “Sign a PDF” on Adobe’s support website.


What Do I Need To Work on Campus?

  • If you plan on securing on campus employment for the first time, you will be asked to complete New Hire Paperwork.
  • New Hire Paperwork includes federal and state tax paperwork. Most importantly, the I-9 form must be completed to verify identity and work authorization for anyone hired in the United States.
  • You must present at least 2 acceptable identification documents. This link explains which documents are acceptable. Documents MUST be unexpired originals. Photocopies and scanned images will not be accepted. Document types can also be found on page 3 of the I-9.

How and When Will I Be Paid?

COVID-related Changes

During the Fall 2020 term, Student Accounts will not be distributing physical student payroll checks. They strongly encourage you to enroll in direct deposit. If direct deposit isn’t selected, paychecks will be mailed to the active campus or local address listed in my.butler.

Signing Up for Direct Deposit
  1. log into my.butler
  2. on your dashboard, click the "Peoplesoft HR/Payroll" button atop the "Employee Tools" column
  3. on the Self-Service page that appears, click the "Payroll and Compensation" button
  4. in the left column, click the "Direct Deposit" tab
  5. follow the instructions to "Add an Account"
  6. if you encounter an error that says, "A balance account must be specified (30000,5?)," please visit I.T.'s direct deposit error page
  7. be on the lookout for a confirmation in your Butler email
Additional Info

Can I Work as Many Hours as I Want?

  • Butler students are not allowed to work more than cumulative 16 hours per week during the academic year.
  • During the summer months, students can work up to 37.5 hours per week. 

International Students Working On Campus

International students can utilize the same job search tools and resources for securing on campus employment as all other non-international students. Please review the required steps via our Guide for International Students. 

  • International students can only work on campus (not off campus).
  • International students must apply for a social security card OR already have a social security card to work on campus:

    • When completing paperwork, HR will accept a 'social security card receipt' in order for the student to start working.

    • However, when the student receives the actual social security card, they must present the card immediately to HR or The Student Employment Coordinator. 

For additional assistance, please email Bobbie Gibson in the International Student Services office

Protecting Butler Students

  • Students who participate in internships, jobs, or experiential education opportunities have a right to expect a professional environment free from sexual misconduct.
  • The Butler University Sexual Misconduct Policy outlines how the University responds to reports of sexual misconduct. Sexual misconduct includes sex- and gender-based discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. We encourage you to explore the Sexual Misconduct site for more information, or download our guide.
  • Butler University is committed to maintaining a respectful educational environment, free from harassment. Harassment of any kind is not acceptable behavior at Butler; it is inconsistent with the commitment to excellence that characterizes Butler University’s activities.  Several policies available online address civil rights matters involving students, faculty and staff when a complaint is brought to the attention of the University. 

  • Any student of the University who believes that he/she has been a victim of some form of discrimination should report the incident immediately to the Title IX Coordinator. 

Why 'Ghosting' Your On Campus Job Is Bad

  • "Ghosting" is the professional equivalent of standing up someone.
  • People can “ghost” at the job offer stage, on their first day of work (by simply not showing up after they've agreed to take the job), or even by walking out on their job with zero warning, zero explanation and zero contact thereafter.
  • “Ghosting” is one of the most effective ways to burn bridges in your professional life. Ultimately, “ghosting” an employer is a sign of immaturity and its very unprofessional. 
  • Instead of simply avoiding a potentially negative conversation, students should learn how to say “no” or quit their jobs gracefully:

Student Employee Appreciation Week

  • Each year, student employees are nationally recognized for their contributions to campus departments! Join us this year in April for some fun and free events just for you! Check out our Student Employee Appreciation Week website for more details.

Filing & Tax Information for Students

Annual Get Hired Part Time Job Fair

  • Are you looking for a part-time job on campus, or part-time job with a employer near campus? Students are encouraged to attend our annual "Get Hired Part Time Job Fair" hosted by the CaPS office every year in August!
  • This fair is an excellent opportunity for local employers and on-campus departments to connect with Butler students who are specifically interested in only part-time employment for the  academic school year.
  • If you are interested in attending and would like more information, please contact the CaPS office:

Ribbon with Diagonal Gray Stripes

Further Assistance

If you have any questions please reach out to us in any of the following ways:

  1. Email Alyssa Laskowski -
  2. Email the CaPS general inbox
  3. Call CaPS front desk phone at 317-940-9383 


Logo for BU Be Well - Career and Life Skills dimensionBU Be Well

Our office supports the Career and Life Skills dimension of BU Be Well.

We help students and graduates focus on building and maintaining successful skills for future or current careers, including internships, employment, graduate school, gap year/service programs, and financial literacy.

Learn more about BU Be Well.