Please visit us in our new office, LSB Building 102!
Student Hiring Process
- Creating the position: If the position is brand new, supervisors will need to submit a "New Position Formstack" (listed below) to create the new position for the department. If the position is not brand new, move on to the next step.
- Promoting the position: We encourage supervisors to promote the role via our on campus job board, Handshake. If you need assistance, please contact Alyssa Laskowski - email@example.com.
- Hiring the student: Once you have identified a student(s) you would like to hire, consider the type of student they are (listed below) before moving forward.
Student Hiring - two types of student hires
- "New Hire": A student who does not currently have an on campus position, or has never had a on campus position, must submit New Hire Paperwork:
- All paperwork is to be submitted to Career and Professional Success office (new Business Building, Suite 102) OR the HR Office (JH - Basement Rm 052)
- Lastly, the supervisor must complete the students eHire form.
- "Existing Hire": A student who currently has an on campus position or has held a on campus job before, the supervisor need only complete the eHire form in the my.butler portal. Paperwork is NOT needed for existing hire students. **If you do not see access to the eHire system in your Manager Self-Service tab of My.Butler, a quick IT Help Desk ticket should get you access.
New Hire Paperwork Packet and Grant Funded Form
New Hire Paperwork MUST be submitted no more then 3 days past the students first day of employment. Training counts as employment and is paid work. The packets and forms can be downloaded and printed below:
|This packet contains the Butler HR Policy form, I-9 form, W-4 tax form, and the WH-4 tax form. Students are responsible for completing all forms, except page 2 of the I-9. Supervisors are responsible for completing page 2 of the I-9.|
|Grand Funded Student Employment Form||
Changing Pay Rates, Supervisors, and Budget Codes:
Status Change Formstack Form
This allows you to update the following: Pay Rate, Primary Supervisor, Account/Combo Code, Job Title, and Backup Time Approver. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance if needed.
New Position Formstack Form
If you are creating a position that has never existed at Butler, you will need to complete the "New Position Formstack Form. Once processed, you will receive a four-digit Position Number from the Office of Human Resources within 1-2 business days. Contact email@example.com for assistance if needed.
- How do I communicate to a New Hire what they need to do? (offer letter template)
- How do I hire a student in eHire (position number, budget codes, etc.)?
- How do I know if the student I want to hire is a New Hire or not?
- How do I check the status of students submitted via eHire?
- How do I terminate a student employee in eHire?
- How do I view student compensation/hourly pay rates, past work information, etc.?
- How do I fill out the supervisor portion of the I-9?
- Part of the I-9 completion process requires that student employees present acceptable identification documents to you as their supervisor. Supervisors will then complete page 2 of the I-9 form with the presented documents. This link explains which documents are acceptable. Documents MUST be unexpired originals. Photocopies and scanned images will not be accepted. Document types can be found on page 3 of the I-9, and will show which list (A, B or C) each document must be filled in.
- All I-9 identification documents must be copied in color, and must be copied front and back. For passports, supervisors must copy page 28.
- If you prefer, students can bring their documents to the CaPS office (new Lacy Building, Rm 102) and the Student Employment Coordinator will make the correct copies.
- As a supervisor its very important to utilize Handshake for promoting your open on campus positions!
- When posting a job in Handshake, please be sure to select "Email a summary of all applicants once my job expires" and "Email every time a new student applies". The contact connected to the job posting will receive notification emails.
- Supervisors who post jobs should log into Handshake occasionally to continue to check applicants, and then download application packets.
- If you would like to post a on campus position in Handshake or have additional questions, please contact Alyssa Laskowski - firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following guide explains how to input and approve time for student employees in my.butler
- How does a student log hours in my.butler? Screenshot Guide
- When are student employees paid? Payroll Schedule
- How does a student set up direct deposit? Students must complete a direct deposit form and submit to Catherine Judson in JH Basement, Room 052.
- Where does a student pick up their paper checks? Students can pick up their paychecks in Student Accounts (JH 102).
- What is the hourly pay rate? Students get paid by the hour. The amount they can be paid is determined usually by each individual department. Student pay rates can vary for a variety of reasons (department budgets, work load, assigned hours per week, etc.) but typically the average hourly pay rate is somewhere between $8.00 - $11.00. The legal minimum wage in Indiana is $7.25 per hour.
- Yes. Please download this guide to see how to enter your student employees' hours for them. However we strongly encourage you as the supervisor to be sure your student employees are filling in their own timesheets.
Please review the required steps via our Guide for Hiring International Students.
- As stated in the guide, supervisors are required to submit a letter of employment for international students. You can view the letter template here.
- International students can only work on campus jobs (not off campus) and cannot acceed 20 hours per week
- International students must apply for a social security (SS) card OR already have a SS card in order to start work on campus:
- Start dates for international students may be delayed as theire are several steps that must be completed first.
- When completing paperwork, HR will accept a 'SS card receipt' in order for the student to be hired and start working.
- However, when the student receives their actual SS card, they must present the card immediately to HR or The Student Employment Coordinator.
For additional guidance on International Student resources, please feel free to contact Bobbie Gibson in the International Student Services office (email@example.com).
- Students can work up to 37.5 hours during the summer. However if the students will be working full-time, they may become eligible for ACA benefits. In that event someone from the benefits team will contact them. This may also change their tax bracket since they will be making more. If students have any questions regarding that, please contact the Payroll Office or the HR office.
To avoid going full-time, most on campus departments have students work part-time (somewhere in between 20-35 hours a week) during the summer, depending on the work load and students availability.
- The student employment process for hiring student employees over the summer remains the same as it does during the academic year, other than the scheduled work hours per week. Students must still complete New Hire paperwork (only if needed), and supervisors still must submit the eHire form for their student employee(s).
- Federal work study (FWS) students can work in any department/office on campus. The hiring of FWS eligible students is no different than hiring any other student employee, unless your department is listed below.
- If you are a supervisor in any of the following on campus centers, then both the student and supervisor should contact Alyssa Laskowski (firstname.lastname@example.org) for next steps:
- Butler Center for the Arts (Schrott & Clowes)
- Butler CUE
- Center for Faith & Vocation
- Center for Citzenship & Community
- Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra
- Indianapolis Childrens Choir
- Indianapolis Symphonic Choir
- For the student there are certain things they need to know about how working on campus affects their FASFA and eligibility for FWS for the next academic year.
- If you get any FWS student questions, please refer them to this site: https://www.butler.edu/career/students-alumni/federal-work-study or have them contact Butler’s Financial Aid office directly.
- No. Once a Butler student graduates from the University and is not enrolled in classes, they can no longer be considered a "student employee" and cannot be hired through eHire.
- If you wish to hire (or keep) a current student in their role beyond commencement, they will need to be hired as "staff" through PageUp. All staff positions are entered into PageUp and must go through the staff hiring process, including a background check.
- In addition, recently graduated students will need to visit the Human Resources office in JH 037 to ensure that all hiring paperwork is up to date.
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions and next steps.
- Are you looking to hire student employees for your office or department? On campus employers are encouraged to attend our "Get Hired Part Time Job Fair" hosted by the CaPS office every year in August!
- This fair is an excellent opportunity for local employers and on-campus departments to connect with Butler students who are specifically interested in only part-time employment for the 2019-2020 academic school year.
- If you are interested in attending and would like more information, please contact Alyssa Laskowski - firstname.lastname@example.org