Post a Job or Internship
Handshake is our main outlet for promoting on- and off-campus jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities, gap year programs, etc. to students and alumni alike. All postings are placed on the Butler Handshake portal. The best way to manage your postings is to request access to Handshake. Alternatively, you can complete our Job/Internship Posting Form, and we will post it for you.
Handshake is a web based career management system that facilitates direct communication between employers and our students. Handshake allows you to manage your job postings, schedules, communicate with student applicants directly and request an on campus interview.
Every student and alumni of Butler University may maintain a Handshake account. Through the system they apply for positions; sign up for interviews; keep track of upcoming interviews, job fairs, and programs; and use employer contact information for the purpose of networking.
Step 1: Creating your Account
Creating an account in Handshake is easy! This article will walk you through the steps required to get up and running in Handshake.
- First, visit butler.joinhandshake.com. Click "Need an Account".
- If you're an employer click "Employer" from the three boxes that appear on the registration page.
- Fill out the information requested in the form that appears after clicking on your user type.
Step 2: Confirmation
You will receive a confirmation email with a link to confirm your account. You won't be able to proceed with the registration process until you confirm your account. If you don't receive a confirmation email see the steps outlined in the confirmation email article.
Step 3: Connect your account
Once you've confirmed your account you'll need to connect it with an employer profile in Handshake. Employer profiles in Handshake are shared across the entire company and are visible to users on Handshake. Different divisions can be created and managed once you've connected or created your employer profile.
If your organization is already using Handshake search for it in the 'Find your Company' screen and an approval request will be sent to the existing staff members for security purposes. This helps protect your organization's brand on the site and reduces the number of fraudulent employers on Handshake.
If your company is not using Handshake you see the following option to create a new company profile. You will enter your company's information and select 'Create New Employer'.
Step 4: Start Recruiting
Once you have been approved at your company or created a new one you can start using Handshake and interviewing quality candidates from the universities of your choice!
- Create a comprehensive job description that clearly defines the job responsibilities, identifies skills that are needed and describes the work environment.
- Consider opening the job to the widest range of majors. All of our majors are grounded in the liberal arts which develop strong written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills; analytical skills, critical thinking and problem solving skills, and other sought-after abilities.
- Provide compensation and benefit information, where possible.
The US Department of Labor (DOL) provides clear guidelines on unpaid internships per the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Please review the fact sheet on the DOL website to determine if your unpaid internship meets the criteria for a legal, unpaid opportunity.
DISCLAIMER: Career and Professional Success reserves the right to remove or deny access to any employer or refuse to post any position that violates equal opportunity provisions. In addition, Butler University prohibits postings that are in violation of any state or federal laws or those positions it deems a safety concern for its students or alumni.