Butler Cultural Requirement FAQ
Attend events with the BCR designation and claim your BCR credit. During a designated BCR event, event hosts will post a unique QR code or URL which automatically captures attendance. These links are timed and unique to each event, and students are expected to attend the entire event for credit.
- For in-person events, you need a personal smart device to register attendance. Look for a posted QR code. Scan the QR code, sign-in using your Butler Credentials, and your attendance is automatically captured. In some instances, students may already be signed into the system and are automatically registered. Look for a small blue confirmation bar at the bottom of the screen.
- For livestreamed events, watch for a posted TinyURL on a slide or in a chat. This may appear either at the beginning, middle or end of the event. Go to the link, sign-in using your Butler Credentials, and your attendance is automatically captured. In some instances, students may already be signed into the system and are automatically registered. Look for a small blue confirmation bar at the bottom of the screen.
This process was introduced during the Fall 2020 semester and is under review during a time when there is a reduction in the number of events scheduled on campus due to Covid.
NOTE: If you mark yourself as attended outside of a BCR event timeline, your attendance credit will not register in your my.butler.edu student record. Additionally, if claiming BCR credit for 2 concurrent events, both credits will be marked invalid.
If a student does not own a smartphone or device and cannot record BCR attendance during an event, please contact the Core Curriculum office at email@example.com or 317-940-9480 for alternative instructions.
For accessibility information or to request disability-related accommodations, please visit www.butler.edu/event-accommodations.
Event coordinators need to contact Student Disability Services at 317-940-9308 or in Jordan Hall 136 to discuss all accommodation requests and accessibility questions in order to help ensure they are properly addressed.
Transfer students must complete at least one BCR credit for each semester enrolled at Butler University.
View the list of BCR events. And look on posted flyers for this symbol:
In addition to keeping track of the number of attended events, the online graduation audit will indicate the number of events you have attended. Please view instructions on how to track the number of events you have attended. If you believe the report is in error, contact the Core Curriculum office as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-9480.
All JCA students have arts events attendance requirements regardless of area of study; this includes primary majors and secondary majors but not students who are pursuing only a JCA minor. Effective spring 2016, students pursuing a primary or secondary major in JCA have fulfilled the university BCR requirement by completing the arts events attendance requirements as required by their area of study in JCA.
Until further notice, the BCR Review Committee is not accepting BCR event proposals. The only approved BCR events available currently are those sponsored by the following:
- Butler Arts and Events Center Presents
- Butler Ballet: Nutcracker, Midwinter, and Spring performances
- Seminar on Religion and Global Affairs, presented by the Center for Faith and Vocation
- Butler Theatre (faculty-directed) performances
- College of Communication Lecture Series
- Celebration of Diversity Distinguished Lecture Series
- A New View Film Series, presented by the Center for Faith and Vocation
- Global and Historical Studies Seminars
- Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra/Symphonic Choir/Opera
- J. James Woods Lecture Series
- School of Music Concert Series (includes Music at Butler, Piano at Butler, Faculty Artist, Duckwall Artist Series, etc.)
- Vivian S. Delbrook Visiting Writers' Series
- Wayne Wetzel Lecture Series
For a list of approved events, please check the BCR calendar. The BCR calendar is updated throughout the semester. Please check back regularly for new events.
Students who complete their degree work in less than 4 years still need 8 BCR credits for graduation.