CCOM Graduate Programs
For general information on applying and admission to any Butler graduate program or course, see the Admission Information and Requirements section. School- and program-specific requirements are detailed below.
Master’s in Strategic Communication
The Master’s in Strategic Communication is a flexible, 30-credit hour, completely online master’s degree program that can be completed in as little as 20 months, if continuously enrolled. The program builds on students own professional experience, knowledge, and passion to advance within the various disciplines that make up the field of strategic communication. It is primarily designed for early- and mid-career professionals seeking a career change or career enhancement. Additional information about this program may be obtained from the program’s website, www.butler.edu/stratcomm-masters.
Master’s in Strategic Communication Student Learning Outcomes
The faculty of the Department of Strategic Communication have identified the following outcomes for students completing the Master’s in Strategic Communication curriculum. They address what students should know, be able to do, and value.
- Apply theoretically informed and professional best practices to address strategic communication problems and opportunities.
- Utilize research skills to analyze, assess and evaluate strategic communication audiences, contexts and campaigns.
- Execute communication strategies and tactics on multiple media platforms aimed at diverse audiences using best practices of strategic communication management.
- Demonstrate values and practices reflecting ethical strategic communication in a dynamic and global communication landscape.
Two components comprise the Master’s in Strategic Communication curriculum:
- The program core (15 required credit hours) offers a strong foundation for success within the contemporary communication environment and includes the following courses:
- STR510 Foundations of Strategic Communication
- STR527 Research Methods: Design & Analysis
- STR540 Strategic Communication Law & Ethics
- STR551 Strategic Visual Communication
- STR560 Strategic Communication Capstone
- Elective courses (15 required credit hours) allow students to develop expertise in a wide variety of areas including, but not limited to, brand strategy, crisis communication, global strategic communication, media relations, and social media strategy.