Skip to main content

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Registration and Records
Butler University Bulletin

Transfer Students

Any student who has completed 12 or more hours of college course work at a regionally accredited institution after high school graduation and is seeking to complete an undergraduate degree, or any student seeking a second undergraduate degree, is considered a transfer student and must submit the Application for Transfer Admission and Scholarships.

The admission of transfer students is made on a selective basis. In evaluating transfer applications for admission, the University takes into account the accreditation and the general quality of previous course work. Applicants must be in good standing with their previous colleges/universities; a total cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher is preferred for admission consideration for most majors, with no grades below C- in the most recent semester. It is recommended that transfer applicants to the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences have a B average (3.0/4.0) or greater for admission consideration. Eligibility for consideration does not guarantee admission. Any transfer applicant whose high school record would not have met Butler’s requirements for first-year student admission is required to demonstrate a strong record of college-level work after a minimum one semester (equivalent of 12 semester hours) of study.

A student who has completed fewer than 12 hours of college course work at a regionally accredited institution after high school graduation will be required to meet the criteria as defined for first-year student admission, in addition to submitting official transcripts of all college-level work.

Applying for Transfer Admission

Applications for transfer admission are reviewed on a rolling basis. Students applying to the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences should refer to the appropriate sections below. To be considered for admission as a transfer student, students must submit the following:

  • Application for Transfer Admission accompanied by the nonrefundable application fee. (The fee is waived for applications filed online.)  Official transcripts from all colleges attended, sent directly from the schools to the Office of Admission. Only transcripts received from the registrar of former colleges will be treated as official. Concealing previous college attendance is grounds for denial and dismissal. Certification that the student is in good standing, not on probation, and eligible to return to that college.
  • Official high school transcript indicating the date of graduation from a secondary school approved by a state or regional accrediting agency is required for transfer students with fewer than 20 college semester credits after high school graduation. Students who did not complete high school but successfully passed a high school equivalency test should submit official documentation if they will have fewer than 20 college semester credits. Neither is required of students who have earned a four-year undergraduate degree.
  • Test scores are optional for all transfer applicants, even those who have earned fewer than 20 credit hours.
  • Official AP or CLEP results. Exam scores should be sent to the Office of Registration and Records.
  • For international students: official results proving English proficiency must be submitted:
    • Duolingo: A score of 100 is required to meet Butler University's requirements.
    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (internet-based test).
    • Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) Evidence-Based Reading & Writing score of 500. (Note: International students are required to submit SAT scores if they wish to compete in varsity athletics)
    • American College Test (ACT) English score of 19.
    • International English Language Training System (IELTS) score of 6.0.
    • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 80.
    • London or Cambridge General Certificate of Education (GCE)/General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) English Language Exam grade of A or B.
    • International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level English exam score of 5–7 or grade of A or B
  • All application materials become the property of Butler University. Transcripts received from other institutions will not be returned to the student or released to another institution or third party.

Transfer Scholarships

Scholarships are available for students who transfer to Butler for fall and spring semester and enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours of study per semester, based on their total cumulative GPA. Transfer scholarships are not available for students pursuing their second undergraduate degree. Contact the Office of Admission for application deadline information.

College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Transfer Applicants—Special Requirements

Doctor of Pharmacy transfer applicants are considered only for fall entry. Previous applicants electing to reapply to the Doctor of Pharmacy program should submit a new application for admission and transcripts of additional course work. The final decisions for determining which applicants will be admitted and which will be placed on the waiting list for the professional phase are made by the Pharmacy Admission Committee.

Pharmacy Applicants

Students transferring into the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program are required to study no fewer than four years at Butler University to complete the degree. Transfer applications for the pre-professional phase of the pharmacy program should be submitted to the Office of Admission by June 1 (fall) or November 1 (spring). Students applying to the professional phase of the program should complete an application through the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS: by April 1 (recommended Butler deadline). Selected candidates will be invited to an interview with faculty. It is recommended that transfer applicants to the program have:

  • A cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 and successfully complete pre-requisite courses (C- or higher)
  • A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited school in the United States
  • A bachelor’s degree from a school outside the United States
  • Official TOEFL scores (International students) as described above for transfer students

Health Sciences Applicants

It is recommended that transfer applicants to the program have:

  • A cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 and successful completion of at least three rigorous science courses (C or higher).
  • A combined SAT score at or above 1270 or an ACT at or above 26

Enrolling in the University as a Transfer Student

Newly admitted transfer students must submit an enrollment deposit, which will be applied to the first semester’s costs. For students entering as transfer students in the fall semester, the deposit is refundable through August 1 (January 1 for spring semester). Admitted students who have not already earned a four-year undergraduate degree also must submit an official final transcript from the most recent college attended with most recent grades posted and the final high school transcript with graduation date posted.