Skip to main content

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Registration and Records
Butler University Bulletin

Graduate Studies

The following information generally is applicable to all graduate programs. For exceptions and special requirements, refer to the specific admission requirements by college. Admission is based upon undergraduate grades and other information, as may be required for a specific program.

Butler seniors desiring to take graduate courses may make special arrangements with the dean of the college in which the graduate degree is to be earned. Credit for such courses will not be recorded on a graduate record until the bachelor’s degree is awarded and the student has been admitted to a graduate program. Note: Students must be degree-seeking MBA, MPAcc, MSRI, or MiM admits to be eligible to enroll in Lacy School of Business graduate-level courses.

Students intending to work toward an advanced degree must satisfy the prerequisites for the program. If prerequisites are to be completed, the student may, under some circumstances, be admitted with a stipulation that the courses be completed satisfactorily. If not admitted, a student may, depending on the college, enroll as a non-degree student while completing the prerequisites.

Applying for Graduate Admission

Applications may be obtained on Butler’s website. All candidates for admission to graduate programs must generally submit the following, Some programs may have additional requirements. The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences and the Licensed Mental Health Counselor program in the College of Education have different transcript requirements.

  • Application for Graduate Admission to the college in which they want to enroll.
  • Official transcript or copies of official transcripts from all colleges and universities where the applicant:

    1.     Earned a degree

    2.     Earned more than 15 credits (undergraduate and graduate)

    3.     Completed any program prerequisite (regardless of number of credit hours)

    4.     Completed courses for which the applicant is applying for transfer credit

    International students must hold a degree from a school recognized by the government or education ministry within the country.

    Students admitted on the basis of unofficial transcripts or with coursework in progress must have their official transcripts sent to Butler University from their previous institution(s) no later than 30 days prior to the start of their entry term.

    Butler University transcripts are not required from current Butler University students and alumni. If you have submitted official transcripts from other institutions within the last three years, you may not need to submit them again. Please contact to confirm.

  • Some programs may require standardized test scores (e.g., GMAT, MAT, GRE, etc.) to be considered for graduate admission. These test scores are valid for five years. Prospective students may visit the departmental website of their respective programs to obtain more information regarding standardized test requirements and waivers.
  • International students also must provide official financial documentation, as required by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and the U.S. Department of State.
  • Students whose first language is not English must meet a minimum level of proficiency in the English language and submit proof of this proficiency to the Office of Admission, unless they have already received a baccalaureate or equivalent degree from a regionally accredited university in the United States or other country in which English is the official language. Minimum English proficiency can be met by the following:
    • Duolingo: A score of 100 is required to meet Butler University's requirements.

    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (internet-based test).
    • Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) Evidence-Based Reading & Writing score of 500. (Note: International students are required to submit SAT scores if they wish to compete in varsity athletics)
    • American College Test (ACT) English score of 19.
    • International English Language Training System (IELTS) score of 6.0.
    • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 80.
    • London or Cambridge General Certificate of Education (GCE)/General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) English Language Exam grade of A or B.
    • International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level English exam score of 5–7 or grade of A or B

All application materials become the property of Butler University. Transcripts received from other institutions will not be returned to the student or released to another institution or third party.

Graduate Non-Degree-Seeking Admission

A person holding a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university who wishes to enroll in graduate courses at Butler University for purposes other than obtaining an advanced degree (e.g., for teacher licensure, to transfer to another institution, or for self-enrichment) may apply as a graduate non-degree student by completing the application for graduate admission to the college in which they would like to enroll. The application may be obtained and submitted online at

The process for applying for admission is the same as the process outlined above for degree-seeking students.

If a graduate non-degree student chooses to enter a graduate degree program, the student must complete a graduate degree-seeking application and follow the application procedures for that graduate program. Check with the Office of Admission for exact dates. A maximum of 12 graduate credit hours completed as a non-degree student may be applied toward the selected degree program. Prospective students should check with individual colleges with regard to policies governing converting from non-degree to degree-seeking status.

Renewed Enrollment—Graduate Students

See Other Admission Options/Renewed Enrollment section above for general information. In addition, students enrolled in a graduate program at Butler University 10 or more years previously, as well as students seeking enrollment into a new degree program or degree level, must submit a new degree-seeking application (see Applying for Graduate Admission) and meet current admission requirements. Only coursework taken subsequent to the new admission will be counted toward degree requirements. All academic records, however, will be maintained so that the transcripts will reflect all of the studies and cumulative GPA undertaken at Butler University.

Graduate Transfer Credit

All work toward a graduate degree should be completed at Butler. However, under special circumstances and within certain limits, graduate work taken at a regionally accredited institution may be transferred and applied toward the degree. Note: Lacy School of Business graduate transfer credits must be from an AACSB-accredited institution. In order for credit to be transferred, a prospective student must receive a grade of A or B. All course work must be approved by the student’s Butler University academic advisor. Subject to these restrictions, up to 9 semester hours may be transferred in 30-hour programs and up to 12 hours may be transferred in 36-hour and longer programs. The student should file a transfer credit form with the Office of Registration and Records for acceptance of transfer credits.

Time Limitations

Beginning at the time when their first graduate degree-applicable course is taken, students in 30-hour programs have five years to complete the degree requirements, and students in longer programs have seven years to complete the degree requirements.

Degree Requirements

Thesis/Project: Some graduate programs may require a thesis or scholarly project. Generally, 3 credit hours are allotted for a thesis/project, although 6-hour projects may be authorized. Regulations governing the preparation and submission of the thesis are available from the college in which the work is being done. If a comprehensive examination also is required, half of the exam is allotted for the thesis defense. Students may contact their respective graduate program to see if their specific program requires a thesis.

GPA: Students must achieve a grade average of B or above in all graduate courses attempted. Courses in which a student earns a C-, D, or F will not be counted toward degree requirements. While grades below a C are not counted toward the completion of degree requirements, they are counted in determining the student’s GPA. In no case may a student take more than 12 credit hours in excess of the degree requirements to satisfy the foregoing GPA requirement. Any graduate student—whether degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking—who fails to make satisfactory progress in the course work may be declared academically ineligible for additional enrollment.