Skip to main content

Error message

Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Registration and Records
Butler University Bulletin

Advanced Course Placement

Butler offers advanced course placement, with appropriate academic credit, in most subjects covered by:

  • Advanced Placement (AP) examinations (administered to students in participating high schools), International Baccalaureate (IB) programs, or College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests (administered at test centers). Applicants should request that their AP, IB, and/or CLEP scores be reported to the Office of Registration and Records.
  • 100-level or higher course work designated as dual credit or dual enrollment through another accredited institution.

Scores required for credit have been established by the appropriate department heads and are available in the Office of Admission and at

A student who has not attempted to qualify for credit under these programs may be placed in an advanced course if the department head or senior faculty member in that area is satisfied that the student can handle the work. A student who wishes to receive credit for the course or courses bypassed should consult the appropriate dean and department chair or designated faculty member. Upon their joint recommendation, credit may be awarded on the basis of the student’s performance in the advanced course.