Skip to main content

Error message

Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
I Am ButlerBound
Admitted Students

Spring New Student Checklist

Here you'll find all the information you need to prepare for your first semester on campus. You can also learn more at the January Orientation website.

view your online decision letter

If you didn't already do so, be sure to view your online decision letter on your student status page. Completing this step will give you access to other important status page activities like registering for admitted student visits (both virtual and in-person!) and replying to your offer of admission, which must be done before you will be able to pay your enrollment deposit.

To do this, log in to your student status page and navigate to the "Status Update" section. Click "View Update". 

pay your enrollment deposit

To officially reserve your place in the incoming class, submit your $500 enrollment deposit online. To avoid bank processing delays, we recommend paying with a credit card instead of a debit card or check.

  1. Log on to your student status page and navigate to Status Update. Select View Update.
  2. Select Reply to Offer of Admission under the Forms section. Complete and submit the form.
  3. From your status page, select Submit Payment for $500. Complete and submit the form.
  4. Confirm your information, mailing address, and major on the main status page. If anything is listed incorrectly, please contact the Office of Admission.

This deposit is refundable with written request submitted prior to January 1.

file or update your fafsa

We encourage all prospective #ButlerBound families to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The federal formula takes into account several factors, and many families mistakenly self-select themselves out of the financial aid process and miss the opportunity to explore all aid programs available. Use school code: 001788.

More information about completing the FAFSA is available on the Office of Financial Aid website.

visit campus (in-person or virtually!)

We offer a number of exclusive visit options—including both on-campus and virtual options—designed specifically for our #ButlerBound students and their families. View options and schedule your campus visit here.

set up your butler network account

You’ll use your Butler network account throughout your time as a student. More immediately, this account will grant you access to your financial aid notification, online bill status, and housing information. Your personal login information and instructions to set up your account will be emailed to you a few weeks after you’re admitted.

Once you've set up your account, you'll be able to access your official Butler email and calendar at For more information about these steps, preparing your technology for move-in, smartphone email set-up instructions, and more, check out Information Technology's Quick Start for Admitted Students resource. 

check out the student financial planning tool

Admitted students will be able to view all financial aid items in our Student Financial Planning tool

Students can access the Student Financial Planning tool from My.Butler under Academic Tools. Please be sure to review all Pending items in red on the HOME page, and check out any red numbered notification badges in the navigation header. Check back regularly to be sure that you don’t have anything pending, and watch for your financial aid notification to be available to view sometime after February 1.
Students can grant their parents access to Student Financial Planning, too! Additional instructions on how to navigate your Student Financial Planning tool or grant your parent or guardian access are available here.

complete your housing application

Complete your housing application as soon as possible online using My.Butler. Your housing application typically becomes available within 72 hours of submitting your enrollment deposit if you submit it online with a credit card. Debit card transactions and checks will take longer—generally up to ten business days.

More information about housing options is available here.

Transfer Students Only: complete the acceptance of financial responsibility (afr) form

Butler University policy requires all incoming transfer students to complete the Acceptance of Financial Responsibility (AFR) process prior to enrollment. The AFR statement outlines your commitment to pay all expenses incurred at Butler University. This requirement must be completed prior to class registration.

To complete the process, please follow the steps below:

  • Log into your account and select Self Service Student Homepage.
  • Click on the tile marked Tasks then click on Butler Accept Financial Responsibility.
  • Review the text thoroughly before clicking Next (at the upper right of the screen).
  • Read the agreement and check the box next to Accept Terms and Conditions, then Save. Click Next (at the upper right of the screen).
  • Click Finish to complete the process. The indicator will be removed from your account to allow registration.

If you have any problems logging in or have technology related questions, please call the Butler University IT Help Desk at 317-940-HELP (4357) or email

Transfer Students Only: submit list of currently in progress courses (if any)

If you are a transfer student who is currently enrolled in and completing classes at another institution, we need a list of the classes you are currently completing. This information is needed prior to enrollment in classes at Butler and will determine which, if any, placement exams will be required. If this applies to you, please submit your list of classes.

take your placement exams

Completing placement exams is a required task for Virtual Registration. Results are for placement purposes only, and your academic advisor will share them with you during your academic advising appointment when discussing appropriate courses to fit your academic plan.

First-year students: Once you have paid your enrollment deposit and received confirmation of this step, reference your "To Do List" on My.Butler, where any required placement exams will be listed. Exams that must be completed are on Canvas and must be finished by the stated deadline. Learn more.

Transfer students: Once you have paid your enrollment deposit, a representative from the Office of Registration and Records will contact you to assist in preparing you for academic advising and enrollment at Butler University. It's possible this may include the completion of a placement exam and submission of additional course information.

participate in virtual registration

Once you’ve completed all placement exams, you’ll participate in Butler’s Virtual Registration process. During Virtual Registration, academic advisors will connect individually with incoming students to discuss course enrollment and outline steps for achieving personal, academic, and career goals.  

Students who submit the $500 enrollment deposit and have completed any required placement exams will have access to the Virtual Registration process beginning November 1, 2020. 

More information will be provided via email as you reach this stage in the enrollment process.


evaluate your options to pay the bill

The Office of Student Accounts publishes the electronic billing statements in December for the spring semester. Student Accounts has information about the billing process, payment plans, and additional Student Account Services.

Your out-of-pocket cost has been calculated in your Financial Aid Notification. If you need additional assistance to cover educational expenses, Butler offers financing options to invest in your education. The payment plan, Federal Direct PLUS Loan, and Private Education Loans are available regardless of financial aid eligibility.

Refer to your Financial Aid Notification or view financing options.

complete butler's health requirements

There are three health requirements you'll want to take care of:

  1. Provide an updated copy of your immunization records to Health Services before January 1. This record can be from a family doctor or state health agency. Immunization requirements are similar to those required in K-12.
  2. A current physical exam (within 12 months of enrollment) is also required. Healthcare providers may complete and sign a general physical form or you may use the Health Services form located under the "Forms" section of the Health Services website.
  3. Annually, all undergraduates are requested to either provide proof of their existing health insurance information or enroll in the University sponsored student health insurance program. If you don't take action by January 15, you'll be automatically enrolled in and billed for the University sponsored plan. More information is available here

Copies of these documents can be faxed to Health Services at 317-940-6403, emailed to, or mailed to: Health Services Room 110, 530 West 49th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208.

send final transcripts

All first-year and transfer students are required to have their final official high school transcript with posted date of graduation sent to the Office of Admission. If you were admitted with college coursework in progress, you’ll need to request that your official transcript with final grades posted be sent to the Office of Admission as soon as it’s available. 

Paper transcripts can be mailed to the Butler University Office of Admission at 4600 Sunset Avenue in Indianapolis, IN 46208.  Electronic transcripts can be sent via email to (high school transcripts) or (college transcripts).


We’re a social university, and now that you’re a part of the Bulldog family, we encourage you to connect!

make your packing list

Students need to provide all personal items, bed linens, and towels. Additional items that students might bring include: alarm clock, bedspread, television, computer, Ethernet cord, laundry supplies, shower bucket, plants, fan, simple eating and cooking utensils, desk lamp, stereo/radio with headphones, stationery and stamps, storage crates.

Butler's recommended packing list can be found here and more information on the move-in process can he found here.

verify your contact information

Butler created a process to collect emergency information from all students. This Verify Contact Information process occurs twice a year. A hold will be placed on your account until you move through a three-step process to remove it. You will be unable to register, change, or add classes until the hold is removed. To remove the hold today, read these step-by-step instructions.

order or rent your books

Order or rent your books. You can either pick them up when you arrive on campus or have them shipped to your home ahead of time. You can also purchase your books by logging into your My.Butler portal and following the instructions provided on your To Do list.

participate in january orientation

All new students, including first-year, transfer, fully remote, and commuter students are required to take part in Orientation. Orientation for new and transfer students starting classes in January will consist of an online New Student Orientation Canvas Course and virtual synchronous opportunities.

Spring New Student Orientation Canvas Course

Prior to a student’s orientation period, all new students must complete a series of online Orientation modules. These modules include academic resources; campus life resources; diversity, equity, and inclusion training modules; AlcoholEdu; and information about COVID-19 safety procedures on campus. Students should have received a separate email invitation on January 4, 2021 to complete the “U Got This!” course, as part of our comprehensive approach to sexual and relationship misconduct response and prevention. 

This Canvas Course is asynchronous and students can complete it at their own pace. The deadline to complete the modules is January 24, 2021. An invitation to participate in this course will be sent to students via their Butler email address and via Canvas.


All first-year, transfer, and commuter students will check in on campus, in person, for required COVID entry testing and to receive their Orientation shirt and student health and safety kit. These kits include a Butler-branded mask, a digital thermometer, hand sanitizer, a lanyard to wear with your mask during meals, and a number of other Butler items to welcome you to campus. Additional information about the check-in process for on-campus Orientation and move-in will be shared in future communications. Please note, this check-in process does not apply to students who have chosen to pursue their spring semester remotely. Fully remote students, your Orientation and health and safety kits will be mailed to your preferred address. Please email with your address and contact information if you are fully remote.  


pick up your student id

Your student ID is your ticket to accessing all campus has to offer. Use it for dining, the Health and Recreation Complex, to enter your housing unit, and more. It also means you’re an official Bulldog!
You can get your student ID by visiting the Parking Services Office, Suite 500 in the Sunset Avenue Parking Garage during their regular business hours. Additional hours will be held on Saturday, January 23 and Sunday, January 24, 2021 for new incoming spring students from 8:00 AM to noon and from 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM both days if you're unable to make it to the Office Monday–Friday.