- Visit Butler
- Apply to Butler
- Request Information
- Virtual Tour
- Find Your Counselor
- Butler on the Road
- Affordability & Aid
- International Admission
- Transfer Admission
- Graduate Admission
- Non-Degree Admission
- Admitted Students
Spring New Student Checklist
To officially reserve your place in the incoming class, submit your enrollment deposit online. This deposit is refundable with written request submitted prior to January 1.
We encourage all families to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The federal formula takes into account several factors, and many families mistakenly self-select themselves out of the financial aid process and miss the opportunity to explore all aid programs available.
List our school code on your FAFSA: 001788
Would you like to meet with your Admission Counselor and take a campus tour? Consider it done. Just want to learn more about Butler and why it may be the right choice for you? We can help with that, too.
Schedule your trip to campus at www.butler.edu/visit or 888-940-8100.
You’ll use your Butler network account throughout your time as a student. More immediately, this account will grant you access to your financial aid status, online bill status, housing information, and class registration. Butler network login information and instructions are sent on a rolling basis a few weeks after you're admitted.
Once you've set up your account, you'll be able to access your official Butler email and calendar at outlook.com/butler. Don’t want to check multiple accounts? You can forward your Butler email to your primary email account by clicking on "Forwarding Options" in the bottom right-hand corner of the login page. Be sure to check the box for "Deliver to both BUmail and Forwarding Address".
For more information about these steps, preparing your technology for move-in, smartphone email set-up instructions, and more, check out Information Technology's Quick Start for Admitted Students resource.
Complete your housing intention as soon as possible online at my.butler.edu. This online housing link will be available within 72 hours of your enrollment deposit being received if you submit it online with a credit card. Debit card transactions and checks will take longer—generally up to 10 business days.
Butler University policy requires all incoming transfer students to complete the Acceptance of Financial Responsibility(AFR) process prior to enrollment. The AFR statement outlines your commitment to pay all expenses incurred at Butler University. This requirement must be completed prior to class registration.
Effective June 25, 2019, the student navigation to Accept Financial Responsibility prior to enrollment in future terms changed to the following navigation:
- Log in to your my.butler.edu account and select Self Service Student Homepage.
- Click on the tile marked TASKS then click on Butler Accept Financial Responsibility.
- Review the text thoroughly before clicking Next (at the upper right of the screen).
- Read the agreement and check the box next to Accept Terms and Conditions, then SAVE. Click Next (at the upper right of the screen).
- Click FINISH to complete the process. The indicator will be removed from your account to allow registration.
Problems logging into my.butler.edu? Please contact the Help Desk at 317-940-4357 or email email@example.com.
If you are a transfer student who is currently enrolled in and completing classes at another institution, we need a list of the classes you are currently completing. This information is needed prior to enrollment in classes at Butler and will determine which, if any, placement exams will be required. If this applies to you, please submit your list of classes.
It’s possible that a placement exam will be required to determine an appropriate course placement. If a placement is needed, you will be contacted by the Academic Orientation Programs office following receipt of your enrollment deposit with specific information about how to complete the exams. All placement exams must be completed prior to enrollment in classes.
The Office of Student Accounts publishes the electronic billing statements in December for the spring semester. Student Accounts has information about the billing process, payment plans, and additional Student Account Services.
Your out-of-pocket cost has been calculated in your Financial Aid Notification. If you need additional assistance to cover educational expenses, Butler offers financing options to invest in your education. The payment plan, Federal Direct PLUS Loan, and Private Education Loans are available regardless of financial aid eligibility.
Refer to your Financial Aid Notification or view financing options.
There are three health requirements you'll want to take care of:
- Provide an updated copy of your immunization records to Health Services before January 1. This record can be from a family doctor or state health agency. Immunization requirements are similar to those required in K-12.
- A current physical exam (within 12 months of enrollment) is also required. Healthcare providers may complete and sign a general physical form or you may use the Health Services form located under the "Forms" section of the Health Services website.
- Annually, all undergraduates are requested to either provide proof of their existing health insurance information or enroll in the University sponsored student health insurance program. If you don't take action by January 15, you'll be automatically enrolled in and billed for the University sponsored plan.
Copies of these documents can be faxed to Health Services at 317-940-6403, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to: Health Services Room 110, 530 West 49th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208.
All first-year and transfer students are required to have their final official high school transcript with posted date of graduation sent to the office of Admission. If you were admitted with college coursework in progress, you’ll need to request that your official transcript with final grades posted be sent to the Office of Admission as soon as it’s available.